Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 1,964 times

Advertisements

First posting here. My mother will be living with us for sometime. She uses a walker (cannot climb stairs). Looking for recommendations on mobility equipment, primarily, stair lift. We have L-shaped stairs. Anyone has experience with any of the local companies that offer these services. Still have to visit, but read about AmeriGlide and they seem to also allow short time rentals. (install/uninstall). Appreciate any pointers and words of wisdom through prior experience.

Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 01:36 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,590,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_pounding View Post
Appreciate any pointers and words of wisdom through prior experience.
Actual experiences, may not be applicable to your situation.

Stairlift #1 for a two-story residence belonging to a friend whose wife was disabled.
A Craig's List ad offered a used stairlift for $1500. The seller, a truly sweet woman, insisted on having her employee deliver and install the unit at no extra cost.

Stairlift #2 for the same two-story residence:
A Craig's List ad offered a used stairlift at no cost. The house was being sold and the owner perceived the stairlift to be a "minus factor" in the eyes of prospective buyers. I trucked the unit to the friend's house and he (being a handyman type) installed it.

Caveats:
1) Used starlifts show up on Craig's List only occasionally. If you need a stairlift now you will have to buy a new unit.
2) When considering a used unit make sure it is long enough to fit your staircase. A too-long unit may be cut down but a too-short unit is not what you want.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:24 PM

Thank you for the reply. Did not think about Craigslist. Will definitely look into that. Also, wondering if a regular Pulte stairs can withstand these rails. We'd prefer a short term rental with install, uninstall and service repair included..

Thanks !!

Old 12-18-2018, 11:46 AM

913 posts, read 886,321 times
I had one installed when my Father moved in with me for hospice care in my home. The company I used was Orthopedic Service Co. of Raleigh. www.orthopedicservice.com

They were really great. They came out to see where I needed it, measured and then gave me the choice of new or used. When you no longer need it they will come out and remove it and put it for sale on consignment.

I had gone with a used one and it came to 2700.00 delivered, installed and removed. They said I should get anywhere from 1000.00 to 1200.00 for it. So not bad at all for a 1 1/2 yrs.use with no issues at all. Currently waiting for it to sell, so I can't tell you how that part went yet.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. Never heard of orthopedicservice.com. Really helps... Glad to know I am not going down a rabbit hole.. will definitely post what I ended up with.

Thanks !!

Old 12-19-2018, 06:04 PM

650 posts, read 930,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_pounding View Post
Thanks for the reply. Never heard of orthopedicservice.com. Really helps... Glad to know I am not going down a rabbit hole.. will definitely post what I ended up with.

Thanks !!
Another name for orthopedicservice is Van Products. It is not the same company but 4 share services under the same roof. They are on Noblin Road. You can get wheelchairs of all types, prosthetic made, conversion vans for handy caps and stair climbers new or used. They also rent conversion vans for handicapped guest visiting in town for short periods. Just talk to Donnie (f). I provide a different business service to them.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:34 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"Appreciate any pointers and words of wisdom through prior experience."

my mother is 94.
we installed a stair lift.
for 11 months, all was well.
until she fell. off the stair lift.
we do not know how or why.
our advice...install a "seat belt".
or at least something like it.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:37 PM

913 posts, read 886,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Appreciate any pointers and words of wisdom through prior experience."

my mother is 94.
we installed a stair lift.
for 11 months, all was well.
until she fell. off the stair lift.
we do not know how or why.
our advice...install a "seat belt".
or at least something like it.
That's terrible. Ours had a seatbelt, not that my Dad always used it. I can't recall seeing one without some sort of safety option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: