Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:13 AM

387 posts, read 437,872 times

Advertisements

if she said it in a private conversation to the students, offering that it may be helpful for them in gaining opportunities to collaborate and develop their careers here in the US. That's helpful, real-world advice. Not xenophobia.

But put it in a clumsily-worded email and you make the national news. Live and learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 08:15 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,291,700 times
My trust in the media is admittedly low lately, but I feel like there's more to this story, and what we're seeing was taken well out of context.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:31 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,484,799 times
CNN titles it "professor WARNED (emphasis mine) students to speak English" then changes their text in the actual article to "urges" and in the email the professor says they have utmost respect for said students and are just giving them a heads up on what the other professors have relayed to them.

And you trust this same media to bring accurate representation of what happens in all things news?

The travesty in all of this is the media took hold of the single professor who was actually trying to do good, her only crime was going to the students instead their boss (dean?). But then, we all know how working in closed cell environments work and the interpersonal relationships where people who "rat" on others get treated.

When out I do notice foreigners speaking their language very loudly (as per the email) and think it's just a cultural thing. So address the volume of the conversation not the type...seems like the professors who noticed this and approached Neely didn't have the cojones to address the students themselves.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:50 AM

6,658 posts, read 5,605,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
if she said it in a private conversation to the students, offering that it may be helpful for them in gaining opportunities to collaborate and develop their careers here in the US. That's helpful, real-world advice. Not xenophobia.

But put it in a clumsily-worded email and you make the national news. Live and learn.
That's how I feel as well - sometimes the ease of technology to avoid difficult personal conversations can be a bad thing.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:59 AM

4,578 posts, read 3,777,085 times
Finally! Some common sense discussed here - yes a private conversation to help these students out would be much more useful, but instead everyone turns to email and even worse, social media to try to "spread" the message. Yeah sure, put everything in writing where the media can destroy you.

Second, picking the correct candidate for the job is all good. Unless there exists some other more rampant discrimination to not hire Chinese or other students.

Third, a great majority of the world can speak more than 1 language except for us Americans. Speaking/learning/in the process of learning another language can help improve cognition, critical thinking skills and maybe slow dementia. Speaking more than 1 language is a not a bad thing.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 AM

4,161 posts, read 2,867,034 times
I’m not one to get worked up over every slight, but this does seem a fairly big deal. Speaking your native language in a student lounge isn’t exactly a “professional setting”. Unless “improving English” is built into the curriculum as a stated goal, I’m at a loss for where that fits in. If a student can’t handle the internship because they lack certain skills, up to and including communication skills, that is one thing. Policing how they interact outside the classroom seems to cross a barrier I can’t quite wrap my head around.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:57 AM

379 posts, read 581,005 times
I’m proud of those of you who question what you see in the media.

As revenue counts on your emotions to get that ad revenue.

The media’s business model isn’t sustainable without a healthy dose of fear and division.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,861,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
I’m proud of those of you who question what you see in the media.

As revenue counts on your emotions to get that ad revenue.

The media’s business model isn’t sustainable without a healthy dose of fear and division.
Yes, the media LOVES the current climate of "I'm going to get offended over every little thing".

This case is particularly interesting, because the people who spoke with this advisor told her what their thoughts were. This is the last place any of us have any privacy. If they kept these thoughts to themselves and just shut these students out of opportunities no one would be the wiser.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:24 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,074,941 times
I have studied a few languages but I wouldn't say I'm fluent in anything but English. When I was in a graduate program I spoke up for international students (mostly Chinese) whose English wasn't quite 100%. But when I travel some place I speak the language, even if it's only a few words. Yes it is true that in the USA we speak more than English. But is it so unreasonable to expect people who come here to speak English?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:40 AM

4,308 posts, read 6,000,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have studied a few languages but I wouldn't say I'm fluent in anything but English. When I was in a graduate program I spoke up for international students (mostly Chinese) whose English wasn't quite 100%. But when I travel some place I speak the language, even if it's only a few words. Yes it is true that in the USA we speak more than English. But is it so unreasonable to expect people who come here to speak English?
So when you're traveling to China and speaking to your American travel companions, you speak Chinese?

The email is bizarre, with other professors apparently wanting to discriminate because they couldn't eavesdrop on the Chinese students' conversation? They're in a student lounge, not a classroom...they can speak whatever language they want with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary