Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 03:32 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times

Advertisements

It's the teachers' fault.

Quote:
"It didn't really surprise me in a sense because from a government legislature perspective, we're really not serious about education in the state of South Carolina," Gilliard said.

African American students in both Berkeley and Charleston County scored 6 percent lower than students who are called Limited English Proficient. In DD2, African American students scored 7 percent lower.

Compare that to white students in the Tri-county, who scored between 14 and 33 percent higher than students who say English isn't their first language, Asian students, who scored between 11 and 34 percent higher, and Hispanic students, who scored 10 percent higher in DD2, 4 percent higher in Charleston County and 1 percent lower in Berkeley County.

"In a historical black school or a predominantly black neighborhood, you want to have a strong presence of male teachers,” Gilliard said. “I've heard this over and over. I've done research myself and believe me it works."

Gilliard says the scores really say more about the teachers.

"We should just toss it all off on the children. I see it as the people that we hire to educate these children,” Gilliard said.
African American students test worse at English than students wh - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:33 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
......and?

Does this mean Republicans will do something to help the black community?

(I doubt it.)

Old 08-10-2014, 03:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
I teach English as a Second Language to foreign students (just as a hobby) and even though many of these students have limited understanding of many words, they understand the meanings of subjects, verbs, nouns, adjectives and punctuation far better than most native born Americans I come into contact with daily.

English, like history, is a dying art form in America.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:55 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
"In a historical black school or a predominantly black neighborhood, you want to have a strong presence of male teachers,” Gilliard said. “I've heard this over and over. I've done research myself and believe me it works."
This is actually true, but I think it only pertains to male students.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:51 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
It's another lost battle in the culture war if anything, schools do not correct the inner city cadence and the students are at a disadvantage later in life because of it.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:57 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,016,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
......and?

Does this mean Republicans will do something to help the black community?

(I doubt it.)
What can they do? You can throw so much money into school systems, that it starts falling out of the windows. You can move teachers into schools that need improving. You can put failing students in the best environment that money can buy, with the best teachers, but if they don't want to learn they won't. Education begins at home, it doesn't matter what color you are.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:01 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
This has been a trend and it technically makes sense. At least from one end. Learning a second language is tough, but doing so has statistically proven to help brain function.

As for why African American's struggle so much... tough to say for sure. Social constructs have likely lead to less expectations of black Americans and that lead to them feeling less of a need to preform. I could be wrong there however, I'm not an expert.

But is the teacher to blame? Ehh... don't get me wrong, we've all had horrendous teachers, but I've had plenty of fantastic teachers; it doesn't mean the school system isn't broken. Ultimately, it's the school system that's more likely to blame than the actual teachers.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:03 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
It's racist to correct their English.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:04 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,100,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It's another lost battle in the culture war if anything, schools do not correct the inner city cadence and the students are at a disadvantage later in life because of it.
Very true.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:37 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
This is actually true, but I think it only pertains to male students.
Is it true if the male teacher is not black ? I suppose it would be illegal to advertise for hire or hire only male/black male teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies