Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,053 times

Advertisements

This surprises me only because low-income people watch a ridiculous amount of television and you'd think they'd learn some form of proper English better than non-English speaking immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
im confused here.

LEP and English as a second language are not one in the same.

English can indeed be a second language , but that doesnt mean the person doesnt know English well. One of the 11th grade English teachers at my school was originally from Honduras, however she grew up here on a military base.

also, the link in the OP says that one of the districts in the state did not have enough English as a second language students to compile statistics on.

Could we be talking about a group of maybe 30 kids performing better than an average of 5,000 kids ???? If so then all this test shows is that a few kids did well.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
......and?

Does this mean Republicans will do something to help the black community?

(I doubt it.)
Black community needs to help itself.

No amount of social engineering will ever change that. They want to speak like they live in the gutter and talk like uneducated louts, that's their lookout.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Black community needs to help itself.

No amount of social engineering will ever change that. They want to speak like they live in the gutter and talk like uneducated louts, that's their lookout.
Because only black people talk like that ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzt7oCFN3ek

Old 08-11-2014, 12:49 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

You can't change or social engineer stupid out of people, no matter what their color.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:34 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Is it true if the male teacher is not black ? I suppose it would be illegal to advertise for hire or hire only male/black male teachers.
I don't think race is a factor. Grades and performance indicators have slipped for boys, so several people involved in the education industry sought to find out why that is. Among other factors, boys respond more positively to male teachers and learn more when they are taught in an all boys school; they weren't saying to not have females teach boys, just have some male teachers as well. The other factor was we have been focusing on girls and they have made tremendous gains, unfortunately this has been at the expense of boys. Girls also showed marked improvement when taught in a single sex school, but the improvement was not as dramatic as the boys.

The problem they recommended addressing was to increase recruitment of male teachers, but that can't be done until males decide to become teachers and they won't do that or choose elementary ED. if the pay is low or if they are seen as less manly.

Now, I don't think it would be illegal to hire only male or black male teachers though. Almost 80% of teachers are female and 90%+ are female in the elementary schools. So call it affirmative action if you want, but males are underrepresented in education and the research indicates that male teachers make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I was actually debating someone about this on Twitter a few weeks ago. They produced a study and to his chagrin it said that black male teachers have little affect on test scores or outcomes. What I suspect does happen though is that black male teacher may have an easier time controlling the classroom.
I don't know how much, if any, influence a black male teacher will have that a white male teacher won't. A black male teacher, it's been argued, can provide a positive role model for young black boys & men. However, I was originally speaking about male teachers in general.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:11 AM

59,123 posts, read 27,349,464 times
"You can lead a horse to water but, you can't make him drink"

Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:

Or this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3att8m43fXM

Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
And white students in Charleston only performed "14 and 33 percent higher" than ESL students. That is shameful. But hey, a thread that disparages minorities from EdrawdA!
Ah someone is in denial.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
im confused here.

LEP and English as a second language are not one in the same.

English can indeed be a second language , but that doesnt mean the person doesnt know English well. One of the 11th grade English teachers at my school was originally from Honduras, however she grew up here on a military base.

also, the link in the OP says that one of the districts in the state did not have enough English as a second language students to compile statistics on.

Could we be talking about a group of maybe 30 kids performing better than an average of 5,000 kids ???? If so then all this test shows is that a few kids did well.
They found the same thing in Seattle a few years ago. It seems to be pretty consistent wherever the comparisons are being made. Although I did read once about how a Black school in NYC outscored a nearby White school. Evidently the Black school was dominated by Caribbean Blacks while the White school was full of Albanians.

Local News | 'Alarming' new test-score gap discovered in Seattle schools | Seattle Times Newspaper

Quote:
African-American students whose primary language is English perform significantly worse in math and reading than black students who speak another language at home — typically immigrants or refugees — according to new numbers released by Seattle Public Schools.

District officials, who presented the finding at a recent community meeting at Rainier Beach High School, noted the results come with caveats, but called the potential trend troubling and pledged to study what might be causing it.

Michael Tolley, an executive director overseeing Southeast Seattle schools, said at the meeting that the data exposed a new achievement gap that is "extremely, extremely alarming."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies