Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

The latest fad is ghetto slang..drop all the verbs and use the wrong tense and in the wrong order.
And they use it in school and teachers just let it slide.

"What up", "Who dat be", "Where you at", etc.

When I'm in school and a student says that to me I ask them if they forgot their verbs.

My all time favorite though is when a student gets called out for misbehaving and they say "I didn't do nothing".
I thank them for not denying their bad behavior. They look at me like deer in the headlights while the smart students snicker over their use of a double negative. They aren't stupid though because they self correct and then say "I didn't do anything".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:38 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The latest fad is ghetto slang..drop all the verbs and use the wrong tense and in the wrong order.
And they use it in school and teachers just let it slide.

"What up", "Who dat be", "Where you at", etc.

When I'm in school and a student says that to me I ask them if they forgot their verbs.

My all time favorite though is when a student gets called out for misbehaving and they say "I didn't do nothing".
I thank them for not denying their bad behavior. They look at me like deer in the headlights while the smart students snicker over their use of a double negative. They aren't stupid though because they self correct and then say "I didn't do anything".
It appears that embarrassment made that kid talk properly.

Now, while some of the blame should fall with teachers allowing such bad grammar, the parents should be held culpable as well. Bill Cosby mentioned that when he heard how some of the inner city kids spoke, he blamed the kids, until he went to the homes and noticed the way the parents spoke. The parents need to correct the children too.

And I grew up in the outskirts of metro Atlanta. I not only noticed Black students using bad English. Alot of White students did the very same thing. If you really think about it, so-called "ebonics" has little to do with Blacks not being able to speak English properly. It has alot to do with the kind of English Blacks learned in the Deep South during the slave days. Terms like "we be" or "axe", this comes out of "redneck culture". "Ghetto culture" and "redneck culture" are basically quite alike when you get down to some of the worst tenets. Touchy pride(feeling of being "disrespected"), violence, neglect of education, irresponsible behavior,etc.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It appears that embarrassment made that kid talk properly.

Now, while some of the blame should fall with teachers allowing such bad grammar, the parents should be held culpable as well. Bill Cosby mentioned that when he heard how some of the inner city kids spoke, he blamed the kids, until he went to the homes and noticed the way the parents spoke. The parents need to correct the children too.

And I grew up in the outskirts of metro Atlanta. I not only noticed Black students using bad English. Alot of White students did the very same thing. If you really think about it, so-called "ebonics" has little to do with Blacks not being able to speak English properly. It has alot to do with the kind of English Blacks learned in the Deep South during the slave days. Terms like "we be" or "axe", this comes out of "redneck culture". "Ghetto culture" and "redneck culture" are basically quite alike when you get down to some of the worst tenets. Touchy pride(feeling of being "disrespected"), violence, neglect of education, irresponsible behavior,etc.
Oh I agree, the White students do it as well. But they seem to know when to turn it on and off.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
......and?

Does this mean Republicans will do something to help the black community?

(I doubt it.)
Democrats have do soooo much for them, imagine where they might be without Democrats blocking any attempt to solve the problem as racist. Why should it be up to the Republicans to do anything? Why isn't it up to the community that speaks English worse than non Americans to "do something"?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I tend to agree with Ogbu's voluntary versus involuntary minority theory on education.

A bit on his theory:

Immigrant vs. Involuntary Minorities (Ogbu)

Immigrant vs. Involuntary Minorities (Ogbu)

Definition
Wells, Jacquelyn J.

John Ogbu, a Nigerian-American anthropologist, questioned the academic performance of minorities in American schools. He asked why some minorities succeed in American schools and some do not. He found a link between the students' identity of self and school performance. Minorities in the US, he concluded, are affected by their access to their racial heritage, culture, and language. After extensive studies in the Oakland, CA public schools, he found that there are two types of immigrant groups. (Ogbu 1978) Ogbu interviewed the parents of the minority children and found that parental involvement in learning, or lack of, plays an instrumental role in student performance.

Involuntary Minorities or Castelike Minorities are those who have been incorporated into society against their will. These groups have been systematically exploited throughout centuries, therefore their culture has been depreciated from slavery and colonization.(Diaz-Rico & Weed 2010) Because of long periods of discrimination, this group harbors a distrust of the host country's institutions, such as school. Involuntary minorities, due to discrimination and loss of identity, can have an oppositional approach to schools. Some students in this category feel as if the teachers treat them unfairly or they are not liked by the teaching staff. Some stuies suggest that these students can feel disconnected from the school's curriculum. Ogbu's interviews with the parents found that the parents mistrusted schools and teachers. Parents may feel that academic success will never help their child progress economically. (Jaynes 2005)

Voluntary Minorities chose to immigrate to the host country and they view the society in a positive way. This group takes an instrumental approach to the host country's institutions of schooling. They view schooling in terms of what they can get out of it. This group sees the school's teachers as experts. Though this group faces racial or religious discrimination, they do not internalize the mistreatment. Voluntary minorities attempt to adapt to the dominate culture and see this change as positive. They are willing to learn accept the cultural norms of the dominant group. (Foster 2004) Ogbu found that the families of this group encourage their children's academic performance.
I agree with this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It isn't even so much that. There is another thing to consider, that has not been talked about. South Carolina ranks quite low when it comes to education. SC ranks 40th in the nation as far as persons with high school diplomas. South Carolina ranks 37th in the USA as far as the percentage of adults over 25 with a Bachelor's degree. SC also has some of the lowest high school graduation rates in the USA.
This is also true. SC does not have a good track record in education. They and MS continuously rank at the bottom of the barrel in education statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I'm not surprised at all. Many students that speak English as a second language makes a contentious effort to write proper English.
This is also true.

Also wanted to point out that "English" test at schools does not equate to speaking Ebonics or "acting the fool" or other such nonsense as was mentioned. Kids today do not write well and grammar has always been a difficult subject for many people to grasp. Many people who do not test well in regards to grammar, speak perfectly fine. My husband doesn't know much about grammar, but he is the most "proper" speaking guy I know. Our son also speaks very well and I have been told he "speaks like a white boy" when he was younger. But he struggles with writing and has to have consistent and continued tutoring to do well. If you read something he wrote, based on how he speaks, you would never believe he wrote it mostly because he spells horribly and forgets to capitalize things one is suppose to capitalize or forgets the rules for comma usage. An English test does not determine how wells someone speaks. I have known immigrants who cannot speak a lick of English to save their lives, but they can write perfect sentences. I cannot speak French, but I can write almost perfect sentences in French and read French. If someone speaks it to me though, I don't know what the hell they're saying lol. But in French class and for French exams, I knew what to do to get my A. Study conjugation, specific adjectives, and how to use certain words on paper.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:37 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Because only black people talk like that ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzt7oCFN3ek
And people ridicule Honey Boo Boo and her backwards clan.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
And people ridicule Honey Boo Boo and her backwards clan.
But no one claims she represents all white people.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:42 AM

The scores are no different than what is being seen all over the country.

Asians score higher than Whites who score higher than Hispanics who score higher than Blacks.
And the Hispanic group does include ELL/ESL/LEP.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh I agree, the White students do it as well. But they seem to know when to turn it on and off.
I see it equally from both. Black students just get judged differently.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I see it equally from both. Black students just get judged differently.
I don't judge them. When I'm in school I call them out when they do it.
See my previous post on that. I know they know better.
And I tell them they need to learn that there's a place and time for that kind of slang and school is not the place for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies