Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:23 PM

805 posts, read 524,724 times

Advertisements

Duke is pretty savvy, and their response indicates they understand it was discrimination. Neely is essentially a supervisor and she screwed up. Her response to the professors’ complaint opened the university up to a potential lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 08:01 PM

715 posts, read 889,246 times
Need to be a little smarter honestly....big business for US University’s in terms of having foreign $$$ in their programs. Also adds a bit of drama to the Trump trade war so this can be taken as an insult to a Super Power that can get ugly.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
These are quasi-professional areas. Academic and professional decorum certainly extends into those areas.
I read somewhere that they were using the department kitchen instead of the student area, which would be shared with faculty. If they are talking loudly in the halls or in a reception-like area with chairs, that is also a shared space and would be considered disruptive.

I can understand faculty frustration because I personally know a number of immigrants whose English is so poor and/or their accents are still so strong that I can hardly understand them. These are not people who just arrived a couple years ago but rather immigrants who've been here for decades. I also have had coworkers at my current and past workplace communicate in their native tongue right next to my desk and I do find it rude.

If they want to do it in their dorm or outside the building, sure go wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary