Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 06:55 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Meh...debatable

I keed, I keed!

Sort of....

I am not sure how/if a 10th grader would be able to transfer to DA though. I believe they only accept new students coming in at K, 6th, and 9th. Granted I am basing that off hearsay and it could be completely false.

Durham Academy is also....not cheap.
I have no idea if the school would take someone at his grade level. But becoming a teammate with Coach K's grandson does have an advantage. If I knew where other kids or grandkids of local coaches attended school, I'd mention it too. Public schools with good academics are the Chapel Hill school system and some in Wake County. Wake County schools have several threads here to read about them.

In all seriousness, learn where the pickup games are being played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
And don't discount Durham schools on the whole.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:19 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
If basketball recruiting is a big focus I would look at where kids are being recruited from now.

https://www.prephoops.com/north-carolina/
North Carolina High School Basketball Rankings - MaxPreps
Home - Phenom Hoop Report

Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I have no idea if the school would take someone at his grade level. But becoming a teammate with Coach K's grandson does have an advantage. If I knew where other kids or grandkids of local coaches attended school, I'd mention it too. Public schools with good academics are the Chapel Hill school system and some in Wake County. Wake County schools have several threads here to read about them.

In all seriousness, learn where the pickup games are being played.
FWIW Coach K's daughter and grandson also live in Chapel Hill and used to belong to the Chapel Hill Y basketball league. I know because I ran that league at the time (no...grandpa Mike, ironically, didn't volunteer to coach...his son in law did)

Old 02-19-2019, 08:57 PM

116 posts, read 254,360 times
Cardinal Gibbons could be an option. You don't have to be catholic but the tuition is lower if you are. Coach there is a former college coach. They have a bunch of kids playing in college at different levels and a current player being recruited at the D1 level. Solves the problem of where to live because you can live anywhere in the triangle and go there. Ravenscroft coach was also a college coach but tuition is pretty steep. And the talent level pretty high. Charter schools play a lower level of basketball which increases his chances of playing but decreases his chances of getting recruiting.

Public schools are cyclical. Apex was down this year but their coach has won state titles. Apex Friendship varsity was average but their jv was undefeated in their league. Green Hope coach runs a great system. Holly Springs has a kid going to UVA. Panther Creek a kid to Penn State. Frankly almost all the public high schools have sent kids to play in college at all different levels. And probably all of them have both kept and cut 6'4 kids. Schools might be larger here than where he is from, so teams are harder to make. Not sure I would pick one over another. If he is really talented and recruitable he is probably already playing AAU so finding the right high school for basketball is less important than finding the right AAU team. If he's not that good, find a job, find a house with a good high school for academics, the basketball will take care of itself.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:00 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Green Hope has won the Wells Fargo cup the past 9 years and they perform academically well too. Basketball is not one of their strong sports. More in line with the country club and club sports. (volleyball, soccer, tennis, golf, swimming, gymnastics, cross country/track)

Old 02-20-2019, 07:38 AM

386 posts, read 436,132 times
Note that even though Raleigh Charter is technically public, they run on a lottery system and you have less than 10% chance of getting in.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:47 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
As good as HS Basketball is here, Minnesota had pretty good ball too if I remember correctly. Comparing MN Basketball to NC Basketball isn't the same as comparing Hockey.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
As good as HS Basketball is here, Minnesota had pretty good ball too if I remember correctly. Comparing MN Basketball to NC Basketball isn't the same as comparing Hockey.
The difference in the percentage of high players in each state recruited by D1 schools for basketball is huge. NC has the second highest percentage in the country at 3.4%. MN is .7%.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...8_20180822.pdf

Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
If basketball is a priority, then (this year at least) three public Wake County schools are ranked in the top 25 in the state: Millbrook (6), Wakefield (14), and Holly Springs (22). Of course, that is this year; who knows what next year will bring? The Wake County school system is managed county-wide and you can get a quality education at the vast majority of schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary