Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 04:05 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's the weather?

Restaurant Ratings: Curry Point, Kobe Buffet :: WRAL.com

Restaurant Ratings: Back 9 Pub in Cary, Lam's Garden in Raleigh :: WRAL.com

Restaurant Ratings: Isla Bonita, Japan Express :: WRAL.com

Restaurant Ratings: Tazza Kitchen in Cary, Dunkin' Donuts in Raleigh :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 05:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Not surprised. There’s food.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:16 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
And,
Listen for the Christmas Vacation's "Cousin Eddie" moment around :44

Restaurant Ratings: Tazza Kitchen in Cary, Dunkin' Donuts in Raleigh :: WRAL.com

Old 12-22-2017, 06:43 PM

420 posts, read 452,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Not surprised. There’s food.
As someone who comes from a restaurant family, I can assure you that every food venue has to deal with this issue. The cases you hear/read about are the ones where the bugs were actually seen during a health inspection or by a customer. There is no way around it as RedZin said. They will always appear where there is food.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
I have mixed feelings about these reports WRAL does. The way they report it makes me wonder how I'm still alive with all the eating I do at restaurants.

I'm all for the sanitation grades, but I think the way they report on it is unnecessary and almost makes it seem like a joke with the cheesy sound affects. Strictly for ratings and it makes people unnecessarily paranoid about supporting local businesses.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:59 PM

346 posts, read 339,249 times
Do they taste like crab or lobster?

Old 12-22-2017, 07:55 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
I would never eat in a restaurant that rated below the mid-90s. I know and talk with a food inspector, and he would even have gone higher in the minimal rating before he would eat in a restaurants. Of the four reviewed, Little Tokyo rated the highest at 88 with Tokyo Buffet rating an 87 (previously 71.5), China Wok 87, and Curry Point 79. I would personally walk out from any of those establishments after seeing those ratings. People somehow equate a 'B' or 'C' rating to a reasonable grade, as it is in school, but when it comes to food establishments those are truly terrible ratings.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:59 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I have mixed feelings about these reports WRAL does. The way they report it makes me wonder how I'm still alive with all the eating I do at restaurants.

LOL I always think this too. That said, food safety courses are required for people in the business and it's really not that hard to keep your workplace clean.

As far as roaches, they usually are where there is food, but I worked at a fast casual restaurant throughout college. The first summer I was there the manager was a stickler for doing everything by the book and I can say through the entirety of that summer I never once saw a roach. Not in the food prep area, not in cooking area, nowhere.

Came back the next summer and the manager had left and a new one who had been an assistant in her place. She was in way, WAY over her head and had no managerial skills so could not inspire her 95% college and high school age crew to do what they were supposed to do (and do it herself when needed) and I saw roaches all over the place that summer.

So it's not a given that they will be there and it's certainly not above the capabilities of anyone to keep the risk at a minimum if you do what you're supposed to do.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:00 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
I've never seen roaches but I see regular flies and fruit flies a lot. I realize that may be another common thing especially with open-air seating places, but it's annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I would never eat in a restaurant that rated below the mid-90s.
Since I'm still learning about the area, it's not instinctual yet to check ratings before I eat there. I had food at the Remington Grill yesterday on a whim and the rating is low 90s.

I like reading the reasons why they got the ratings though, because they tell a more detailed story than a number. A lot of them mention food being kept 10 degrees warmer than required, etc. but then others have critical violations like unclean refrigerators and moldy drink dispensers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

I'm all for the sanitation grades, but I think the way they report on it is unnecessary and almost makes it seem like a joke with the cheesy sound affects. Strictly for ratings and it makes people unnecessarily paranoid about supporting local businesses.
Completely agree. But I look at news as part entertainment these days, so there's probably an audience for that. Luckily all the details are readily available online without the sound effects.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:13 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
If some people are paranoid about bugs having contact with their food, then they should start growing their own food. It isn't just restaurants that have problems with bugs, most of the factories that make pantry staples (read: canned and boxed goods) have roaches/rats/etc.

That said, I don't want to see live roaches in a restaurant but I realize bug problems can be inevitable especially in older buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary