Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 11:51 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,652,852 times

Advertisements

Is cost of living cheap? Does it have good hospitals and services for people over 55 years old. Property taxes low? Does it have a wheel tax on vehicles? Cost of license plates every year and etc?

Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 02:53 AM

385 posts, read 349,697 times
I say it's a good place to retire. It has retirement communities of that is your thing. Good hospitals and medical facilities. Property taxes are very low compared to some areas. "Wheel" tax, yes, included with plate fee. Not much for fancy stores or dining but we do have Publix supermarkets! Winters are mild. Summer a brutal but everyone has AC.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:05 AM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Overall tax burden in NC is historically right in the middle range of the 50 states.
https://wallethub.com/edu/t/states-w...-burden/20494/
We do have an annual property tax on vehicles.
You can probably retire in cheaper places if that is your primary concern.
We've been in Cary for 22 years. It is a very easy place to live, like many other towns in the Triangle and has easy access to plenty to do.

We will retire here when it is time.
We like the medical care here, and the fact that it is not Florida or Arizona....

Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,548,626 times
I attend many parks & recs events in Apex/Cary.
The spectator demographics show a whole lotta retires present, increasing each year.

And, many arrive with several fixed incomes!

Visit D&S Cafeteria and strike up a chat with many seniors present at lunch & dinner.
Great food, too. It's at the Cary-Raleigh boundary, https://www.yelp.com/biz/d-and-s-cafeteria-raleigh

Old 08-05-2019, 08:15 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,173,792 times
So I see another thread you started in the retirement forum about retiring to a working class town. You realize that Cary is the opposite of that, right? And that Cary is pretty expensive? There is a ton of factual data available about demographics right here on C-D. Everything is relative -- one man's "low" taxes is another man's "high."

Old 08-05-2019, 09:41 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,836,027 times
This area is probably quite a good place to retire, as described above.

However, I'd suggest you look outside the actual city limits. The town of Cary is really the upper-middle class subburb, and the real-estate values and city taxes are accordingly high.
I assume as someone retired, you're not too concerned about commute distance, then try Apex and Morrisville (the areas still within Wake County, but outside Raleigh and Cary city limits. These areas would have similar drive-times to events around the Triangle, so you still have the near-city life advantages.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:09 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,978,933 times
it must be.
retirees keep moving there and not moving away.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:21 PM

781 posts, read 745,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
So I see another thread you started in the retirement forum about retiring to a working class town. You realize that Cary is the opposite of that, right? And that Cary is pretty expensive? There is a ton of factual data available about demographics right here on C-D. Everything is relative -- one man's "low" taxes is another man's "high."
Also, the vibe in Cary will be nothing at all like TN. It’s a left leaning moderate type of place. Fuquay might be a better fit for someone coming from TN.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:48 PM

19,455 posts, read 27,902,603 times
I can add this: we moved from phoenix metro to brief creek in 2012. Our property tax doubled on a similarly assessed home. Our income tax is higher. Medical care is better. Food is a bit more expensive. Alcohol and restaurants are more expensive (no happy hours allowed and stare stores have a monopoly on sales of spirits.) Utilities are higher.

Still we're very happy here. But moving looking or a cheap COL might be a fiscal mistake.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:29 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,774,963 times
Per prior posts by OP they are living in Bethesda MD and want to get out of the rat-race there.

Quote: "But in retirement, we could get twice the home at nearly half the price if we moved to a "working class" community outside the Washington Metro Area"

I don't think Cary has ever been a 'working class community' ..... especially these days. I guess it depends on a person's definition of 'working class' ...... a basically high tech area like the triangle sure doesn't meet my definition.

Perhaps some people are just learning of the Triangle-North Carolina's desirability and still consider it a rural working/farming/textile community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary