Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:41 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
And that's why your property taxes are way higher there.
Texas has no state income taxes. They make up for it in property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 11:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I would agree.

Same thing applies to NH.

No Income tax, but property tax through the roof.

Former bosses parent's lived on Lake Sunapee. They had neighbors who paid 2-3 times the median household income of a Raleigh resident in property tax a year.

Live Free or so I am told
NH taxes dividends though.

It's a great state. Fairly low COL, high salaries, low taxes, great schools. And a killer motto. Just kinda cold.

Look at all the migration out of NY to FL. The rich go to where their income isn't taxed.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:43 AM

329 posts, read 250,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
You have just said that "diverse" kids are "bad kids."
No, I said I went to a school where bureaucrats imported a large amount of bad kids using the justification of "diversity", and the result was horrible for everyone.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:48 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
NH taxes dividends though.

It's a great state. Fairly low COL, high salaries, low taxes, great schools. And a killer motto. Just kinda cold.

Look at all the migration out of NY to FL. The rich go to where their income isn't taxed.

I have enjoyed myself anytime I have been to NH. Cold is an issue for sure.

And I get it. People seek out places to stretch their means. We left MA because of COL (at least Real Estate) and we're far from rich.

My dad just retired last November and had plans to head south for years (specifically SC) . Mom died in '16 and threw those a wrench into those plans temporary.

His GF is a born and bred "the sun rises and sets on Eastern MA" towny type. She said she would never leave. Her upper crust friends have all started leaving in retirement (for reasons you have accurately pointed out) and now she sees the writing on the wall.

No idea where they will go.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:48 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I’ve heard that Carroll has gotten much better since they were designated as a magnet and got a new principal.
I agree the general word is that Carroll is improved. Hopefully, as the area around it (both sides of Six Forks) continues to "redevelop and gentrify" then the achievement will continue rising. Right now, statistically it's still behind the Wake Co average

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...ar=2018&lng=en

Old 08-14-2019, 11:49 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
No, I said I went to a school where bureaucrats imported a large amount of bad kids using the justification of "diversity", and the result was horrible for everyone.
And you just repeated it.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I have enjoyed myself anytime I have been to NH. Cold is an issue for sure.

And I get it. People seek out places to stretch their means. We left MA because of COL (at least Real Estate) and we're far from rich.

My dad just retired last November and had plans to head south for years (specifically SC) . Mom died in '16 and threw those a wrench into those plans temporary.

His GF is a born and bred "the sun rises and sets on Eastern MA" towny type. She said she would never leave. Her upper crust friends have all started leaving in retirement (for reasons you have accurately pointed out) and now she sees the writing on the wall.

No idea where they will go.
Now amplify that one million times over and you see why cutting corporate taxes (and taxes in general) is a good thing for America. Yet corporate taxes have been vilified (is this the tax thread? I'm not sure, I'm on a plane and just continuously posting to pass time).

Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Now amplify that one million times over and you see why cutting corporate taxes (and taxes in general) is a good thing for America. Yet corporate taxes have been vilified (is this the tax thread? I'm not sure, I'm on a plane and just continuously posting to pass time).

It isn't the tax thread. This is a thread about WCPSS and desegragating.

But we probably aren't going to agree on tax policy even if it was, so we can leave it there.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:06 PM

329 posts, read 250,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
And you just repeated it.
I dont think it's a good idea to move students with poor behavior from one school and dump them on another in the hope that it will fix parenting problems, and I have real life experience with those exact policies that were tried out years ago.

If you have a problem with that I dont know what to tell ya.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:27 PM

119 posts, read 90,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
These west Cary schools are plenty diverse, so what's the problem?
Both of my children attended one of the large west Cary high schools and it was, for both of them, a wonderful experience. As you say, their school was "plenty" diverse but the primary form of diversity was cultural/ethnic. From a socioeconomic perspective, the school was much more homogeneous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary