Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 05:30 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
"Though the storm's path remains uncertain, forecasters use tools like spaghetti models to make predictions about the most likely outcomes. These models show various possible paths a storm could take based on different atmospheric conditions, statistical models, and paths other storms have followed in the past.

However, meteorologists generally prefer that people don't turn to these charts for information about coming storms, since they can be confusing to look at and don't necessarily convey information that's useful to people bracing for a hurricane.

For example, not every line in that mess of spaghetti carries equal weight in predicting the storm's path. And many of these charts made with "little or no accuracy or skill," as the National Center for Atmospheric Research's website puts it.

Plus, some storms' conditions make their paths and potential impacts harder to predict than others, and variables like wind shear, dry air, and the presence of a land mass can lead a storm's effects to be felt far from any spaghetti lines.

In the case of Hurricane Dorian, the models generally show that it's likely to head toward the Bahamas and then Florida."

https://www.businessinsider.com/hurr...florida-2019-8
I think most of us understand spaghetti maps, but thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 05:33 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think most of us understand spaghetti maps, but thanks.
Apparently not, but carry on!

Old 08-28-2019, 06:10 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
I guess we better close the thread - Edward Teach says it's nothing to worry about!

Old 08-28-2019, 06:13 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I guess we better close the thread - Edward Teach says it's nothing to worry about!
Hmm, I don't remember saying that...let me go back and check...nope, sure didn't. But have fun anyway!

Old 08-28-2019, 10:34 PM

94 posts, read 57,195 times
For future reference, here's a good site for storm tracking, with everything you need to know aggregated on one page: https://spaghettimodels.com/

Old 08-29-2019, 04:36 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
When there is a storm with name started with the letter F headed our way...that's when we need to get worried.

F-named storms seem to always paint a bullseye on NC!
I was fortunate to have missed Florence (except for a little leftover rain), but Fran and Floyd...not so much. I was living in Fremont when Fran hit and it tore up the area pretty good. When Floyd hit, 10-year old me was in Warsaw catching crawdaddies and fish in the front yard...or back, whichever I felt like. Fun times!

Old 08-29-2019, 04:36 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Every advisory has jogged this storm incrementally north/east. Definitely need to pay attention to this one for a few days. Levi is excellent but very technical. Allan Huffman is my go-to for local weather.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:54 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeforestguy View Post
For future reference, here's a good site for storm tracking, with everything you need to know aggregated on one page: https://spaghettimodels.com/

I love sites like this, thank you. No sensationalism, no dire predictions, just hard facts in graphic format.

My parents live right underneath that H in the middle of Florida. They just got there on Monday. Welcome home!!

Old 08-29-2019, 07:55 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I was fortunate to have missed Florence (except for a little leftover rain), but Fran and Floyd...not so much. I was living in Fremont when Fran hit and it tore up the area pretty good. When Floyd hit, 10-year old me was in Warsaw catching crawdaddies and fish in the front yard...or back, whichever I felt like. Fun times!
7 year old Nick was terrified huddling under the fort made under the coffee table when Fran was taking out every tree in the neighborhood and rain was forcing its way through the windows to wet the curtains.

10 year old Nick was like "come at me bro" with Floyd (Floyd wasn't as bad in the immediate Triangle area as Fran lol) and happy to out of school early.

29 Year old Nick with Frances thought "well that was a disappointment; that long trip to Costco was for naught!"

Old 08-29-2019, 08:01 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
this afternoon, we are getting our water supplies together.
essentially, filling up containers from our faucet.
still have some gallon jugs with "drinking water"
left over from Micheal last year.
we lost power for ~3 days
in Orange County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary