Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 PM

206 posts, read 310,607 times

Advertisements

Just curious because I don't have any friends from out of state. I still hang out with the same friends I made in the 60's and 70's.

Like for example: When you want a kiss do you say "give me some sugar" to your kids? Do you call your kids "young'uns"? Do you call everything a coke? If someone asks what kind of coke do you want, you might say sprite or some other soda.

It might be a Raleigh area thing, don't know about the whole state, but it's what we grew up with. Just curious what transplants to NC think of our customs and speech and if they start using the same words after living here a while?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:42 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
Something tells me people who moved to NC from elsewhere probably didn't pick up on any of those sayings. Come to think of it I never used any of those myself

Old 03-23-2013, 07:53 PM

206 posts, read 310,607 times
I guess what is happening is people from out of state move here and form communities and then more move to that area each year and before you know it you have whole communities that live in NC but know nothing about our way of life because they brought their culture with them. It would be sad if the state loses it identity totally. I notice in stores most clerks sound like they have out of state accents yet they were born and raised here. It's crazy.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
I grew up in Raleigh in the late 50's - 70's and never said "coke" for anything but a Coca Cola. Not to burst your bubble, but I've always thought of "young'uns" as more of a rural term. Can't think that I heard it much if any from my friends' parents and never from my own.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 PM

51 posts, read 101,811 times
Default Reply

Yep. There are now many people that are technically natives that are no more Southern than Danny Devito. I travel the state for my job and most of what you are describing is found in the major metro areas. Go to Snow Hill, Wadesboro, Conetoe, Dudley, Rockingham, Beulaville, Spencer etc etc and they are still what they have always been.

Last edited by Sir Walter; 03-23-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 PM

30 posts, read 52,364 times
Back in my youth I had a summer job at a camp on the coast. One of the guys I worked with was from New Jersey. We had a conversation along these lines. I can't remember everything we talked about, but here's a couple.

Down here we say "crack the window" meaning open the window just a little. He hadn't heard that.
Another was "turn on/off the light". That was new to him too.

My wife tells the story of her mother (who was originally from Iowa and lived in Southern Pines at the time) wrote a letter to her sister, saying that her husband was going to "carry her" to town to go shopping. Of course we all know this means that she and her husband will ride the car into town and he will drive. Her sister writes back and asks "What's wrong with you? Why does Dan have to carry you?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidnNC View Post
Back in my youth I had a summer job at a camp on the coast. One of the guys I worked with was from New Jersey. We had a conversation along these lines. I can't remember everything we talked about, but here's a couple.

Down here we say "crack the window" meaning open the window just a little. He hadn't heard that.

My wife tells the story of her mother (who was originally from Iowa and lived in Southern Pines at the time) wrote a letter to her sister, saying that her husband was going to "carry her" to town to go shopping. Of course we all know this means that she and her husband will ride the car into town and he will drive. Her sister writes back and asks "What's wrong with you? Why does Dan have to carry you?
Yep, those are all familiar terms.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I grew up in Raleigh in the late 50's - 70's and never said "coke" for anything but a Coca Cola.
I used "Coke" for one thing too...a Coca Cola. I also used "drink" a lot. "Hey, lets go to the store and get a drink" referring to any bottled soft drink...not alcoholic. We never used "pop" or "soda"

Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 PM

51 posts, read 101,811 times
Default Reply

Mash the buttons, cut the light out, fixin to, carry me to the store, nervous as a ***** in church, hey y'all, up the road a piece, a country mile, slap funny, happy as a pig in poop, to be sure, the hell you say are a few saying off the top of my head that heard frequently in my youth from friends , relatives, neighbors and my parents.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,525 times

huh?? where was he from Mars? How can that be new to anyone- if you want someone to turn on (or off) the light wtf else can you say but turn on (or off) the light?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary