Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 01:06 PM

140 posts, read 144,015 times

Advertisements

Last two posters have good points.

I'm very suspicious, as panhandling has become an art. There was a well-dressed man who was from University of [someplace a few hours away] on a college trip and his bus left him. First time, I gave him a couple bucks; then, saw him often. Another couple used to drive around in a van with the passenger window broken (glass shards in the passenger seat), saying they were visiting and someone busted into their van and stole the wife's purse with all their cash - they need gas money to get home.

In the city, a good friend showed me a technique, where he offers to take them to the homeless shelter. I don't know what happens at shelters but it must be bad....beggars literally turn heel ASAP when you mention homeless shelters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 01:49 PM

140 posts, read 87,684 times
In Florida I used to get approached while loading groceries in my car, usually right before the grocery store/pharmacy closed, by a disheveled looking motherly sort with a 10-12 year old. The pitch was the usual sob story and she needed 30 dollars to get her kid’s prescription filled right away, couldn’t wait until morning or else the kid will get really sick. Not once has anyone taken me up on my offer to go in with them and pay for the prescription directly.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:17 PM

714 posts, read 721,165 times
I don't give money to any kind of panhandlers. When I get panhandled, my liberal guilt kicks in and I go home and make a donation to Urban Ministries. :-D

Old 10-08-2019, 04:39 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Maybe try using a different gas station ?
This happened at different gas stations...

But that's exactly my point - that this seems to be occurring a lot all over the place (it just happened to me in Greensboro too).

And the ruse is definitely meant to come across as anything but begging: Nice car, decent clothes. Hey, I look like you do. I'm not poor, I'm just having a bad morning. This coulda happened to you too, and maybe it has... I just need enough gas to get to work/home. I know folks don't carry cash these days. I don't either. Someone swiped my purse, which had my credit cards and phone in it. I don't know what to do. My tank is on E...

Old 10-08-2019, 03:47 PM

465 posts, read 699,493 times
Had this happened to me on a gas station off I-95 in Florida and randomly over the years. That guy was driving a late model Cadillac.

When they approach me, I give them a millisecond to say something worthwhile before I reply "NOTHANKSSORRYGOODBYE"

About 20 years ago when I was in college, an innocent looking old guy came up to me and gave me a great sob story, so naively I gave him some money. Fortunately there were others around, and another guy came up to me and asked me if the guy had asked for money and told me he was a known scammer. Fortunately I got my money back, but after that moment I swore never to give another dime to any panhandler.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:42 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
It was a story, why would we need a physical description?

WHO CARES????? seriously. This PC culture is so freaking annoying.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:01 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
It is called racism and has nothing to do with being PC.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I know lol. For stories that I make up on the internet for people shooting up everyone, kidnappers or child sex abusers - I choose white people to be the offenders in the story. Guess we should just all “get over it,” right?

Old 10-10-2019, 01:30 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I know lol. For stories that I make up on the internet for people shooting up everyone, kidnappers or child sex abusers - I choose white people to be the offenders in the story. Guess we should just all “get over it,” right?
Be careful not to mention if it was a man or a woman. That would be sexism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: