Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2019, 10:13 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,611 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of getting some quotes on a new roof, and am interested in a metal roof. Does anyone have any experience with a local metal roof installation company that they would recommend? Based on a previous thread here I had Roofwerks come out and give me a quote, and the guy was nice and very professional, but I'd still like to get another quote or two before moving forward. Also, their price for a new asphalt shingle roof was basically what I expected, but their price for a new metal roof was x2.5 as much as the asphalt shingles -- is that normal?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 10:19 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Where do you live??

Roofcrafters does great work in Chapel Hill and Carrboro: https://www.ncroofcrafters.com/

Old 10-18-2019, 10:21 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Where do you live??

Roofcrafters does great work in Chapel Hill and Carrboro: https://www.ncroofcrafters.com/
I'm in Durham, but I suspect most roofing companies in the Triangle would service the whole Triangle area, no? Thanks for the recommendation (I tried to rep you, but apparently I need to spread the love first so I'll come back to that later), I'll definitely give them a call

Last edited by j-mart77; 10-18-2019 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-18-2019, 02:21 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
I'm in Durham, but I suspect most roofing companies in the Triangle would service the whole Triangle area, no?
Not so sure about that. I think some have their areas that they do. Roofcrafters might go to Durham, but I think they concentrate on Orange and Chatham counties.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:43 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I don't know anything about Roofcrafters, but their website indicates they serve Durham.
All the way at the bottom.

https://www.ncroofcrafters.com/

Old 10-21-2019, 08:21 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,727,897 times
Yes, a metal roof is a lot more labor involved...

Quote:
but their price for a new metal roof was x2.5 as much as the asphalt shingles -- is that normal?

Old 10-22-2019, 03:18 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
I'm in the process of getting some quotes on a new roof, and am interested in a metal roof. Does anyone have any experience with a local metal roof installation company that they would recommend? Based on a previous thread here I had Roofwerks come out and give me a quote, and the guy was nice and very professional, but I'd still like to get another quote or two before moving forward. Also, their price for a new asphalt shingle roof was basically what I expected, but their price for a new metal roof was x2.5 as much as the asphalt shingles -- is that normal?

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
Yes, a metal roof is a lot more labor involved...

The material cost can also be much higher.
Quality metal roofing is expensive. If one wants a metal roof to last 100+ years, cheap hog barn roofing off the rack at Home Depot won't get it done.
And, there is far greater variety in metal roofing materials than there is in asphalt shingles.

If the roof is a simple up and over, it is less expensive than one that is cut up with gables, dormers, and other details. The latter will have significant trim and labor cost increase over the simple one.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:57 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Yup the price is normal. We did this exploring and getting quotes last fall. The metal roofs were anywhere from 2x to 4x more expensive! No freaking way were we going to pay that for a metal roof. All of the people that came were very professional, but dang the price was way too much. Also they played games like, we will reduce your cost by 10% if you let us put a sign in your yard. I get advertising, and don't mind a sign in the yard for a bit, but come'on. Just seems cheesy.

Instead we went with high quality architectural shingles and decided to upgrade our gutters. The shingles are rated for lifetime (honestly 30 years is good enough for me since I am in my 50's) and 150 mph winds. They should outlast normal three tab shingles. Personally I really like the 3D look that they provide too.

Cost was about a third of the metal roof which included the roof with Atlas lifetime shingles, a full length ridge vent (my house didn't have one), gutters with "nose over" gutter guards and a new chimney cap.

We ended up using RainGo Exteriors here in Raleigh. They finished my house in a day.

Last edited by 2Loud; 10-24-2019 at 08:09 AM..

Old 10-24-2019, 10:26 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Baker roofing. Did our roof from recent hail storm damage. Highly thought of national company .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary