Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 09:33 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times

Advertisements

We also used Chuck Tickle for a few years when we first moved here a decade ago and his office was responsive and good to work with. But then State Farm decided to jack up our homeowner's rates 30% out of the blue, so we switched to Amica, which charged around half what State Farm was trying to hit us for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 09:50 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
We also used Chuck Tickle for a few years when we first moved here a decade ago and his office was responsive and good to work with. But then State Farm decided to jack up our homeowner's rates 30% out of the blue, so we switched to Amica, which charged around half what State Farm was trying to hit us for.
IF SF tries to jack up my rates again I will be switching. Amica is a good company. I have 3 teen drivers so not looking to rock any boats at the moment.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:56 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,590,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
... we switched to Amica ...
+1 for Amica.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:49 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
OP, why the loyalty to State Farm if you have had bad service from the agent? I've never used an actual agent before (GEICO and USAA), so am interested in the differentiation of agent vs insurance company.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:11 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
OP, why the loyalty to State Farm if you have had bad service from the agent? I've never used an actual agent before (GEICO and USAA), so am interested in the differentiation of agent vs insurance company.
Huge difference. Agent will go to bat for you if you have trouble with your own insurer and often help you with claims with another insurer. I would never try to save money by going without an agent. And FTR, both GEICO and USAA stink (USAA used to be good but has really slid last couple years, not sure what's going on, it's too bad becuase they have a good base of insureds). Everywhere I've worked I've worked with former GEICO employees who hated it - massive turnover there.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:19 AM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Huge difference. Agent will go to bat for you if you have trouble with your own insurer and often help you with claims with another insurer. I would never try to save money by going without an agent. And FTR, both GEICO and USAA stink (USAA used to be good but has really slid last couple years, not sure what's going on, it's too bad becuase they have a good base of insureds). Everywhere I've worked I've worked with former GEICO employees who hated it - massive turnover there.

When GEICO stood for "Government Employees Insurance Company" it was on a par with USAA and Amica.

Way Back Machine....

Old 11-07-2019, 10:53 PM

169 posts, read 242,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Basically we've been with State Farm since (me 1992, my husband 1981), plus it is headquartered in my home state and with the exception of the last three years, we have always been very happy with them. The agency has some weaknesses that we did not judge too much, even though they weren't fantastic. But things kept changing, and communications got more scarce, then there was confusion, and now I just don't have any confidence anymore. I prefer having an agent. We have three kids who are adult drivers, plus another one coming in another year and a half, so agents to work with you are for the peace of mind, experience, and help.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:08 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
USAA used to be good but has really slid last couple years, not sure what's going on, it's too bad becuase they have a good base of insureds
USAA and Amica still toggle back and forth between #1 and #2 rated companies by CR and others.

A number of years ago, I switched to Erie. I check with Amica and others every year or two and Erie always comes out on top (with the lowest rate). I have had several claims through the years (most not my fault) and they have been great to work with - eg, sending the check directly to the body shop so all I have to do is give them the deductible.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:09 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Peyton Alls with State Farm...919-605-9509.

You could call and discuss the issue. I'm sure he'll tell you what you can and can't do.
Call me crazy...Peyton Alls is with Farm Bureau! Not State Farm.

I've been dealing with State Farm as a client of mine is out of the country and I have his townhome listed. Unfortunately, there was a leak and the insurance company is paying for repairs so I've been dealing with them for about a month. SLOW going. So, I had State Farm on my mind.

I will say this...I had a claim from Hurricane Florence and with Farm Bureau, it was so easy. I gave them a list of what needed repairs and some estimates and my check was in the mail.

With State Farm, NOT so easy and they aren't covering a few things that "I" thought they should.

You never really know how good your insurance company is until you have a claim.

After having Farm Bureau and now having to work (on behalf of my client) with State Farm, I'd have to say that Farm Bureau is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier to work with and covers more!

Old 11-08-2019, 07:13 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

After having Farm Bureau and now having to work (on behalf of my client) with State Farm, I'd have to say that Farm Bureau is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier to work with and covers more!

+1

I was with State Farm in NY for 10 years. Switched to Amica due to service and rates when we moved here. Tried them all out and others while buying our new home this spring and the best turned out to be Tim Royal at NC Farm Bureau on Western Boulevard. He was very helpful, responsive, and had the best rates. He explained every piece of the policies to me and was patient with the home buying process, changing our policies, and providing proof of insurance for closing.

I can't say enough good things about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary