Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,999 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My Child is in grade 3 and I am planning to buy a home for which base school is different and year around.
My current school rating is very high and traditional.

I don't want to apply for transfer.

A new home is not that far from my current home and I can drop and pick-up by car.
I don't want to apply for transfer.

So what will happen If I start living at another address and don't inform the school? Do they able to know that?

After the elementary study completed, I will transfer them to proper assigned middle school but currently, I don't want to disturb his circle/fried and school and don't want to move into a year-round school.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 06:43 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Chances are they will find out, somehow they do and it will be a big problem for you if that happens. How many more years do you have in this school? Usually they will let 4th and 5th graders "grandfather" at their current school even if you move.

If I had to guess I would guess you're moving from Mills Park to Alston Ridge. They need to get people out of capped schools so if this is the case, you can be sure they are checking to make sure people live where they say they live.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,268,228 times
Yeah it doesn't work that way.

Why will it be ok to disturb his circle and friends and move to year round in middle school? If the elementary is year round, then the middle is too. Middle school is probably the toughest age to switch schools - I'd personally rather get it over with sooner than later.

Last edited by m378; 12-14-2019 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-15-2019, 06:23 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,746,709 times
Yeah, if you are leaving Mills Park, they will somehow find out. They are like hawks on that particular school.

This is why I've noticed that a lot of people don't change many houses in the west Cary area. I know a family who had to change schools because the school found out their new address when they bought a new house - they were so unhappy with the change that they started to send their kid to Thales Academy and Cary Academy for the older kid. Must be nice to have that much money when you get unhappy with the reassignment.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Chances are they will find out, somehow they do and it will be a big problem for you if that happens. How many more years do you have in this school? Usually they will let 4th and 5th graders "grandfather" at their current school even if you move.

If I had to guess I would guess you're moving from Mills Park to Alston Ridge. They need to get people out of capped schools so if this is the case, you can be sure they are checking to make sure people live where they say they live.
Current School is Devis Drive Elementry School.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:15 AM

Hi All,
Thanks for the feedback.. Current School is Davis Drive Elementry school and it's not capped.
So thinking that how they will check it?

Old 12-15-2019, 11:21 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,206,328 times
only you can decide if you choose to break the rules.

now, if DDE has capacity it appears next year, they may very well grant you a transfer.

if they find out you're breaking the rules you will assuredly be sent pronto, even mid-year next year, to the new school. If you buy a house THIS school year, they'll let you finish the year.

as the parent of 2 former 3rd graders and a school volunteer for several years of 3rd graders, I can say it is not thee time to be worried about circles of friends. They will very quickly become friends with kids at the new school/neighborhood.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:29 PM

The reason the schools employ a data manager is to make sure people live where they say they live. As someone noted Davis Drive is not capped so there’s a chance they let you stay. Most assuredly if you have a 4th or 5th grader they will.

I find it curious you’re worried about the social aspect but don’t want to let your kid go to elementary school with the kids they will be going to middle school with. You’re definitely overthinking the difference in academics too. It’s elementary school. They will be fine.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:39 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,268,228 times
New residents get let into capped schools all the time, so I would hope an existing student could stay a couple years. This is WCPSS though so logic isn't always the top priority.
When they reassign kids they only let them grandfather if they're in 5th/8th grade.

New developments are still being assigned to Mills Park Middle which has been capped for ages.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:35 PM

Usually if kids move,though, they will let them stay the last two years. We had friends move a few years ago and their child was starting junior year at ghhs. He was allowed to stay no problem.

Assigning new developments to Mills Park while moving existing people out is just dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary