Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 12:56 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,733,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Whew, what a slew of accident reports this past 10 days in Cary that typically say:

Vehicle 2 and 3 were stopped in heavy traffic. Vehicle 1 did not see the stopped cars
colliding with Vehicle 2, which collided with Vehicle 3.

Keep on tappin'
I don't see what that has to do with this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 01:14 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,600,330 times
https://abc11.com/traffic/cary-drive...-2KZkeaAnqQtC8

Quote:
A spokesperson for NCDOT said an informal evaluation showed that about 80 percent of drivers are using the correct turn lane, meaning that only one out of every five drivers were still turning left at the red 'x'.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:32 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,536,927 times
My informal evaluation thinks their informal evaluation underestimated that percentage.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:35 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,600,330 times
"meaning that only one out of every five drivers were still turning left at the red 'x'"

So does this include people who went in the wrong lane and then got back in the correct lane making a legal turn? Or 20% of people turned anyways in the wrong turn lane?

Old 02-28-2020, 08:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,585,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Whew, what a slew of accident reports this past 10 days in Cary that typically say:

Vehicle 2 and 3 were stopped in heavy traffic. Vehicle 1 did not see the stopped cars
colliding with Vehicle 2, which collided with Vehicle 3.

Keep on tappin'

How does a driver not see a stopped car?!?! Oh.... wait.... because they were playing Fakebook instead of paying attention to their driving.

Yep, you're right. Keep on tappin'.

And I'm not the suing type until someone who was staring at their phone hits me Then I'm suin'.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:08 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,941,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
How does a driver not see a stopped car?!?! Oh.... wait.... because they were playing Fakebook instead of paying attention to their driving.
That really concerns these days. I started giving myself a little extra room behind a stopped car so I’ll have more escape route if necessary. I even glance in the rear view mirror to try to gauge the speed of the car coming up behind me.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:35 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
That really concerns these days. I started giving myself a little extra room behind a stopped car so I’ll have more escape route if necessary. I even glance in the rear view mirror to try to gauge the speed of the car coming up behind me.

speed? 26 caught in Cary on 2/27!

Town of Cary Police Department P2C

Old 02-29-2020, 12:57 PM

281 posts, read 188,111 times
They should put a left red arrow for the lane when it's closed in addition to the big x... So when people are sitting in the right of the two left turn Lanes they never get a Green arrow and they might discover they've gotten in the wrong lane at that point.

although for people who got in the wrong lane I don't know really what they're supposed to do at that point other than just turn when it's safe.... Otherwise they're parked in a dead-end if they never move forward

Old 02-29-2020, 01:43 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,945,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post
They should put a left red arrow for the lane when it's closed in addition to the big x... So when people are sitting in the right of the two left turn Lanes they never get a Green arrow and they might discover they've gotten in the wrong lane at that point.

although for people who got in the wrong lane I don't know really what they're supposed to do at that point other than just turn when it's safe.... Otherwise they're parked in a dead-end if they never move forward
I agree, and isn't this wasting a lane for much of the day by not being active?

Still though, kudos to NCDOT for trying to improve things. Georgia does not.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:29 PM

370 posts, read 296,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post

You see a flashing yellow arrow in one head and a red arrow in a second. Which are you supposed to obey?

Can't have such a conflicting indication facing the same approach/lane group.

(In theory, you can get signal head that can be programmed to only be seen by a specific lane, but for the most part they have been phased out (pun not intended) because of the cost and issues with not aligning properly.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary