Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 08:14 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times

Advertisements

https://trec.pdx.edu/news/flashing-y...an-safety-risk

Article I saw earlier today - makes sense that flashing yellow lefts aren’t ideal when there are conflicting ped crossings (something to consider with this type of intersection if there are more peds at a certain location)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 03:38 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I make that turn every day ... I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone trying to cross there. It’s not a pedestrian heavy area.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:47 AM

307 posts, read 672,972 times
Traffic in the Triangle is getting worse everyday. I40 at 5pm is a high-risk venture. At many intersections in the area, if you don't ride the bumper of the car in front of you, the light will change before five cars can get through it. It took a while to get used to the flashing yellow turn lights. I have seen many cars make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic. Thankfully I have not observed a collision.

If these intersections will improve traffic flow, I'm all for it. However, DOT needs to remind themselves that the population is aging, and older drivers will not adapt as easily. And before you complain about older drivers, you will hopefully be one some day. It takes my wife an extra 20 minutes to get to work because she takes back streets to avoid the busier streets. It's treacherous here.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I make that turn every day ... I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone trying to cross there. It’s not a pedestrian heavy area.
Oh yeah more of a general comment than specific to that intersection

Old 02-14-2020, 10:44 AM

my coworker drove by and said he saw 2 people in the closed left turn lane.........

Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 AM

Welp ... I was wrong. Apparently it is too complicated for the average driver.

I just went through the intersection a couple of times (I was curious because as of this morning around 8am, the signals still weren't installed) The dynamic turn is now live. And it's not going well. Luckily there is a camera set up recording everything, so I assume they're going to evaluate how things work out. I venture a guess that the report won't be positive. During the red lights, I saw 3-4 cars in the deactivated lane.

I guess I overestimated the driving skills of average drivers. But then again I also saw (at a different intersection) a woman rear end a pickup that had its flashers on. I don't think it's driving skills, but rather level of attention.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:46 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Welp ... I was wrong. Apparently it is too complicated for the average driver.

I just went through the intersection a couple of times (I was curious because as of this morning around 8am, the signals still weren't installed) The dynamic turn is now live. And it's not going well. Luckily there is a camera set up recording everything, so I assume they're going to evaluate how things work out. I venture a guess that the report won't be positive. During the red lights, I saw 3-4 cars in the deactivated lane.

I guess I overestimated the driving skills of average drivers. But then again I also saw (at a different intersection) a woman rear end a pickup that had its flashers on. I don't think it's driving skills, but rather level of attention.
I went by there this afternoon and saw like 4 cars in the right lane as well. The way the striping is set up, it seems like you have to really try to not notice that something has changed and that that big red X might mean something.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
I went by there this afternoon and saw like 4 cars in the right lane as well. The way the striping is set up, it seems like you have to really try to not notice that something has changed and that that big red X might mean something.
Right??

Old 02-14-2020, 06:08 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,868 times
"Look at it this way. Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Old 02-15-2020, 02:54 AM

https://www.facebook.com/ABC11/posts/10157601137087550
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary