Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 07:36 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
In some non-COVID related local RE drama.....anybody planning to buy and/or sell a property in Durham County this week and next is SOL. The registrar of deeds having been hacked and server crashed....no recordings until at the earliest March 20th.
I have no closings scheduled for Durham, this month. How SAD for those folks that are scheduled to close and have no where to go.

Has anyone heard any news as to when this issue will be resolved and closings can continue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 08:35 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have no closings scheduled for Durham, this month. How SAD for those folks that are scheduled to close and have no where to go.

Has anyone heard any news as to when this issue will be resolved and closings can continue?
Typically probably about 2/3 of my closings are in Durham County. Fortunately I have two this week that are not (one in Chatham and one in...Pitt)

My understanding was that as of yesterday they are getting things back online. But yikes what a nightmare for all of those buyers and sellers for the past two weeks!

Old 03-20-2020, 08:20 AM

114 posts, read 57,032 times
I am in a peculiar situation. I made an offer on a home in Apex that was accepted. The home belonged to the deceased mother of the couple selling it. Turned out there was four who inherited it.
They never did the probate on the property. Yes they are legal owners but the title insurance company wouldn’t issue title insurance until they completed probate. Long story short I’m still technically under contract but I could easily back out of it because they were unable to close on time. And I’m really on the fence whether I want to proceed or not due to what is happening with the country. I’m a history buff and I also am pretty knowledgeable of the markets and such. And I truly believe that we are heading into another great depression in this country. This is not just a passing winter storm, this is going to stick with us for at least a couple decades. So long story made short here, I see real estate values, (yes even in the triangle) dropping by probably half over the next year or two. Now many of you may I think that’s crazy but I don’t think most of you grasp what a great depression is. It’s basically hitting the reset button on everything. And that’s what we chose to do with our handling of this virus. If I were out there with cash to buy property right now I would wait about six months and see what happens.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:25 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguru6338 View Post
I am in a peculiar situation. I made an offer on a home in Apex that was accepted. The home belonged to the deceased mother of the couple selling it. Turned out there was four who inherited it.
They never did the probate on the property. Yes they are legal owners but the title insurance company wouldn’t issue title insurance until they completed probate. Long story short I’m still technically under contract but I could easily back out of it because they were unable to close on time. And I’m really on the fence whether I want to proceed or not due to what is happening with the country. I’m a history buff and I also am pretty knowledgeable of the markets and such. And I truly believe that we are heading into another great depression in this country. This is not just a passing winter storm, this is going to stick with us for at least a couple decades. So long story made short here, I see real estate values, (yes even in the triangle) dropping by probably half over the next year or two. Now many of you may I think that’s crazy but I don’t think most of you grasp what a great depression is. It’s basically hitting the reset button on everything. And that’s what we chose to do with our handling of this virus. If I were out there with cash to buy property right now I would wait about six months and see what happens.

I know what you are saying. But I could be more worried.

I would like to buy my "Perfect Forever Home" and if I find it, I will be an aggressive buyer.
Buying when there is little motivation? Probably not smart in any market.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:30 AM

569 posts, read 342,029 times
Quote:
I don't think that things will be as dire as you predict, but there's no question that it will be ugly for a while. I just posted this on the "is it a bad time to list" thread, and it is relevant on this one as well:

Per recent CNBC article (in part):

As Americans sit at home watching the value of their retirement funds crater, it is no surprise the spring housing market is about to crater as well. Home sales could fall by 35% annually this spring, compared with the last quarter of 2019, according to new analysis by Capital Economics. That would mean total home sales of around 4 million annualized, the lowest since the start of 1991. “Increasingly restrictive measures on people’s movement, and an imminent surge in unemployment,” are the key reasons, according to Matthew Pointon, a property economist at Capital Economics. Real estate agents canceled scheduled open houses last weekend, and now half of all agents are reporting a drop in buyer interest, according to a survey just released by the National Association of Realtors. That percentage tripled in just a week. Fewer agents are reporting no change in the number of homes on the market due to the coronavirus outbreak, as more potential sellers decide now is not the right time to list. Some sellers are pulling their homes from the market.

When things turn around, this real estate market will still be one of the strongest in the country IMO.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:59 AM

715 posts, read 1,040,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
I'm watching the mortgage rates like a hawk recently. I just refinanced last August to the mid 3's, but when I saw them under 3% I started watching closer.

The problem is mortgage rates are actually increasing now because there was so much demand when they initially dropped that lenders have a backlog and no reason to keep it low until they catch up. If this uncertainty and recession continues then I'm hopeful in a few weeks that the rates will drop again.

Yep, my current mortgage bank and USAA were both showing 4.875 !!!! this morning to re-fi 30 year fixed. Nuts. I'm eyeing them like a fiend, as well, over the coming weeks to re-fi our higher rate mortgage - northern Durham County.

I'm wondering: are new home purchase rates lower than re-fi's, or do they go hand in hand. Anyone know?

Old 03-20-2020, 01:38 PM

569 posts, read 342,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
Yep, my current mortgage bank and USAA were both showing 4.875 !!!! this morning to re-fi 30 year fixed. Nuts. I'm eyeing them like a fiend, as well, over the coming weeks to re-fi our higher rate mortgage - northern Durham County.

I'm wondering: are new home purchase rates lower than re-fi's, or do they go hand in hand. Anyone know?

One reason for the temporary increase:

Unexpected yield increase on 10-year treasuries due to massive institutional "rush to cash" panic. Fed injected much needed liquidity in order ease that bottleneck (among other actions) so yields will drop.

Rates will no doubt decline, and sooner than later. Fed is doing everything possible to make that happen.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:46 PM

114 posts, read 57,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
I don't think that things will be as dire as you predict, but there's no question that it will be ugly for a while. I just posted this on the "is it a bad time to list" thread, and it is relevant on this one as well:

Per recent CNBC article (in part):

As Americans sit at home watching the value of their retirement funds crater, it is no surprise the spring housing market is about to crater as well. Home sales could fall by 35% annually this spring, compared with the last quarter of 2019, according to new analysis by Capital Economics. That would mean total home sales of around 4 million annualized, the lowest since the start of 1991. “Increasingly restrictive measures on people’s movement, and an imminent surge in unemployment,” are the key reasons, according to Matthew Pointon, a property economist at Capital Economics. Real estate agents canceled scheduled open houses last weekend, and now half of all agents are reporting a drop in buyer interest, according to a survey just released by the National Association of Realtors. That percentage tripled in just a week. Fewer agents are reporting no change in the number of homes on the market due to the coronavirus outbreak, as more potential sellers decide now is not the right time to list. Some sellers are pulling their homes from the market.

When things turn around, this real estate market will still be one of the strongest in the country IMO.
Good post, good info. I’m so on the fence about following through. It’s a home in established neighborhood. Paying $330,000 for it. I keep having these thoughts in a year I’ll be upside down and it’s worth $190 or something. I can totally see that happening. I looked for six months to find this home. But the investor mind side of myself is screaming to hold that cash and wait. I could deal with a 10-15% drop for a few years, I mean hey I’m gonna live there, but not if it everything crashes and I could have bought two homes for the price of one. Lol

Old 03-20-2020, 03:15 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
a 50% drop? i don't see it. Especially in a $330K nabe in Apex. The people who will feel the most pain are those who paid a premium for brand new tract homes in the reaches of west Cary over the last 5 years or so. But I don't see that dropping by 50%. Of course we are in uncharted territory but I think most people would stay put rather than take that hit.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:45 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times
Quote:
Good post, good info. I’m so on the fence about following through. It’s a home in established neighborhood. Paying $330,000 for it. I keep having these thoughts in a year I’ll be upside down and it’s worth $190 or something. I can totally see that happening. I looked for six months to find this home. But the investor mind side of myself is screaming to hold that cash and wait. I could deal with a 10-15% drop for a few years, I mean hey I’m gonna live there, but not if it everything crashes and I could have bought two homes for the price of one. Lol
There's something to be said for peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary