Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 09:55 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,735,089 times

Advertisements

Oh wow I totally get it. I moved back north and am extremely happy. Never liked humidity either. In two years back north I have seen one small spider and some sugar ants in the house. I would never move south again. The insects grossed me out, especially roaches. Doesn’t matter how clean you keep your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 05:51 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Oh wow I totally get it. I moved back north and am extremely happy. Never liked humidity either. In two years back north I have seen one small spider and some sugar ants in the house. I would never move south again. The insects grossed me out, especially roaches. Doesn’t matter how clean you keep your place.
I wish there were more like you!

Old 03-19-2020, 12:08 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,735,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I wish there were more like you!

And they say Southerners are welcoming and friendly. Ha!

Old 03-20-2020, 05:27 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
And they say Southerners are welcoming and friendly. Ha!
Ignore him, he complains on threads of subjects he's not interested in just to vent whatever frustrations he has with life.

German cockroaches, the small ones appear where unsanitary conditions form. I stayed in two homeless shelters in NYC (the SRO hotels) and they were crawling up the walls and on me in bed.

The big scary 3 inch roaches are actually palmetto bugs and can fly. They're far more disgusting to me than the little ones. They can crawl upside down on the ceiling and can run very fast when you try to spray them.

But regular treatment by pest control companies every 3-6 months will keep your home clear of them.

Also a can of Raid sprayed around baseboards and window and door sills is an effective deterrent for them entering your home. Also spray under sinks at pipes etc,

A Raid spraying around the perimeters of rooms will remain an effective barrier for a couple of weeks too.

The other brands like Hot Shot are a joke, and the bugs will just laugh and carry on about their business.

Be glad you're not in Atlanta which is the beginning of the brown recluse's territory. They don't build webs but rather live under things inside your home, even between the mattress and the sheets.

Their bites are bad and can kill a lot of tissue wherever they bite.

And if the winter this year is the new norm for New York City, in ten years there will be just as many bugs and critters up there.

Hard freezes in winter keep the summer insect populations low, and warm winters are followed by lots of insects flying into your windshiels in the summer.

Old 11-05-2020, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,939 times
There are quite a lot of large cockroaches here.
I agree with the poster that it's creepy.
It's okay that there's bugs. No one thinks there's not bugs around.
It's a different situation when there's large cockroaches in your house and it's considered normal.
It may be to some, but I've lived in a lot of places around the country and it wasn't anything I experienced as normal.
When the pest control guy told me it was normal, I was like, woah.
I lived in Tampa, Florida and had no worries there, contrary to popular belief.
It's true that people don't mention it when they talk about all the reasons to move here and not to move here.
Some people can't live with certain things and that's okay.
I hope you find a place where you can feel comfortable sleeping at night.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:55 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
You never imagined your kids would have to learn what a roach is? Dafuq lol this whole thread is 100% troll
IDK if that poster is from up north but we always associated roaches with filth and poverty. Not saying it's right just that that's the general consensus.

I never saw a roach till I moved to NC. I heard people talking about palmetto bugs but I was like, nah that's a roach. But just like people up north are led to believe one thing, maybe people who grew up here are led to believe they are "everywhere". They may be in every geographical location but I assure you in the 30 years I lived in New England I never saw a single roach.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:34 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
vampire thread by 1- and and 3-post instigators

Old 11-06-2020, 03:09 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
haha nice catch. I hate when I get suckered into one of these!

Old 11-07-2020, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,398 times
Anoles can be ones best friend in North Carolina. They love to eat, and wood roaches (or Palmetto bugs) are one of their favorites. Note to OP; both bugs are very attracted to light sources. As much of a pest these critters can be, it beats having to deal with the pesky copperheads that slither about. Centipedes and silverfish can also be a pain to live/deal with. They likely reside in, and come up through one's tub and sink drains. I wish you the best of luck and good fortune in whatever you decide to do.

Old 11-08-2020, 03:29 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Just out of curiosity but how many cockroaches do you think is considered "normal" to see before it's considered a problem. Maybe it's because I was home more often and cooking more but I definitely saw more than normal this year - maybe 1 or 2 every two weeks during the summer if I went downstairs at night to the kitchen for some water. My current stance is that as long as I don't see them during the day and it isn't the tiny ones, it's not a huge problem (and I don't mind killing them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary