Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 09:24 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,313,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Be that as it may, was shocked to be at the playground with the kids during my transition week and was getting 5G signal out here in the boonies. Granted it wasn't "errrmahgerd....its blazing fast" 5G, but the mere presence of it here surprised me.
From what I understand, the benefits of 5G are more focused on Industry, IIoT, and cloud computing. Yes, they have benefits for mobil phone users, but that's really just a happy side-benefit.

I think the biggest benefit will be huge events (think stadium events), where 5g will handle the bandwidth, and prevent everyone from bogging down while they stream their favorite U2 Song live at the next concert, or while 20,000 people all need to go online after the event to get an uber.

A lot of it has to do with running factories, power plants, infrastructure, etc. At least that's how I understand it from some technical conference presentations I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 10:52 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,061,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
From what I understand, the benefits of 5G are more focused on Industry, IIoT, and cloud computing. Yes, they have benefits for mobil phone users, but that's really just a happy side-benefit.

I think the biggest benefit will be huge events (think stadium events), where 5g will handle the bandwidth, and prevent everyone from bogging down while they stream their favorite U2 Song live at the next concert, or while 20,000 people all need to go online after the event to get an uber.

A lot of it has to do with running factories, power plants, infrastructure, etc. At least that's how I understand it from some technical conference presentations I've seen.
I agree (especially with the huge event/stadium example). I know up in MA last time I was there (Sept 2019) they were ranting and raving about the 5G at Gillette for Pats' games.

Having said that, there are speed increases too. My buddy lives in Cumberland RI, 15 miles from downtown Providence, and he gets 200Mbps in his house on 5G cellular service (TMo). I was getting 39Mbps on 5G here in Wake Forest (roughly equidistant from Raleigh as Cumberland is from Providence)....but tech infrastructure build outs there are way ahead of what they are here. i.e we just got Fiber internet here in WF (Ting). We had fiber internet in our first house in MA in 2012 (48 miles from Boston).

Max speed on 5G is something like 2Gbps down. Think LTE caps out at 300Mbps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary