Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 2,961 times

Advertisements

I never really noticed, but as of recent I've been hearing more about 5G networks. I never even knew what they looked like, but I found a picture online and been on the lookout ever since. I've found 7 5G networks in Durham, and I'm sure there are more.

I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed them and how long have they been in Durham?

I've seen them on Fayetteville St. across the street from the Food Lion. Another was found on Hwy 54, behind the Roses (in the Sprouts shopping center), then I found a few along South Miami Blvd. and one on Hwy 70.

Has anyone else seen these around Durham? If yes, where and how long have it been there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 12:16 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,256,808 times
I didn't know the one behind Rose's was 5G. That tower has been there a long time.

There's another tower on 54 near the intersection with Barbee Rd. (Across from the Seasons at Southpoint Memory Care and next to a new storage place.)

There's a tower near New Hope Commons (I-40 at 15-501). I don't remember the exact location off the top of my head.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:09 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,642,760 times
I don't think those are 5G towers:

https://www.lifewire.com/5g-cell-towers-4584192

Old 04-05-2020, 01:25 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,946 times
None of this is 5g

Old 04-05-2020, 02:12 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,309 times
Those aren't 5G towers.

Also please don't buy into the fear mongering currently happening in Britain that 5G is causing Covid-19 (so they're setting 5G cell hardware on fire). Come on people, you're smarter than this. This is like essential oils and anti-vax levels of dumb.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:18 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Those aren't 5G towers.

Also please don't buy into the fear mongering currently happening in Britain that 5G is causing Covid-19 (so they're setting 5G cell hardware on fire). Come on people, you're smarter than this. This is like essential oils and anti-vax levels of dumb.
Well, essential oils do smell good, and if the people who are destroying the 5G hardware are the same people who would be texting and driving (likely), is that such a bad thing? Except if they burn something down.

But to the OP's subject, the 5G facilities are much smaller (i.e. small cell technology) but spread much closer to each other. So instead of being contained within the Durham Redwood (yeah, that looks natural ), it may have to be disguised on the branch of an Orange County (NC) orange tree to please aesthetic sensibilities.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:14 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
if the people who are destroying the 5G hardware are the same people who would be texting and driving (likely), is that such a bad thing? Except if they burn something down.
That's a bit of a grasp in an assumption you're making there. It's not ok to destroy other people's property because these people have a warped view of reality regardless. Yes it's a bad thing.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:14 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,915 times
As others have said, 5G equipment is typically mounted on lower poles and aren't on the tall towers much (yet). It's been around here at least a year or two.

Examples around here:
Airport Blvd 1
Airport Blvd 2
Paramount Pkwy 1
Paramount Pkwy 2
Brier Creek Pkwy
Wake Forest Rd
Crabtree Valley

Old 04-05-2020, 05:47 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
That's a bit of a grasp in an assumption you're making there. It's not ok to destroy other people's property because these people have a warped view of reality regardless. Yes it's a bad thing.
Woops....I didn't see the part about it being other people's property. I thought they were destroying the hardware of their own phones, not equipment that didn't belong to them. My comment was based on that being my understanding, which I now realize was erroneous. My eyes must have been tired and I didn't see that there was a story link, and I misunderstood what they destroyed. That would definitely change my opinion of this. I'm happy to admit when I made a mistake, and this is one of those times.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:09 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Woops....I didn't see the part about it being other people's property. I thought they were destroying the hardware of their own phones, not equipment that didn't belong to them. My comment was based on that being my understanding, which I now realize was erroneous. My eyes must have been tired and I didn't see that there was a story link, and I misunderstood what they destroyed. That would definitely change my opinion of this. I'm happy to admit when I made a mistake, and this is one of those times.
Ah we're all good. Sorry if I was a bit brash as well in my response. I'm just so tired of people not taking science seriously and pulling stuff out of thin air related to this whole virus thing. That and the whole stuck inside the house for about 3 weeks now thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary