Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 04:39 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I can definitely see there only being two big indoor malls in the area going forward. Crabtree and either Southpoint or Triangle town. My bet is on Southpoint hanging on longer than TTC. Like Northgate, it was heading that way already but this will speed things up.
I would put my money on Southpoint outlasting TTC for sure; potentially even Crabtree. It has the outdoor "streets" part that is always hoppin in non-covid times.

I honestly thought Northgate was already closed. An enclosed mall is DEFINITELY not the highest and best use of that piece of real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 04:40 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,547,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Although the whole story is behind a paywall, it is known that Florida-based LNR Partners bought Triangle Town Center for $120 million in August
LNR is a "special servicer" asset manager, acting on behalf of lenders -- i.e., owners of bonds backed by commercial mortgages. Their typical M.O. is to foreclose, then auction, and pay back the bonds that way. In other words, look for an online auction of TTC sometime soon.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/55867668-post191.html

Old 05-04-2020, 06:31 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I would put my money on Southpoint outlasting TTC for sure; potentially even Crabtree. It has the outdoor "streets" part that is always hoppin in non-covid times.

I honestly thought Northgate was already closed. An enclosed mall is DEFINITELY not the highest and best use of that piece of real estate.
That’s true, but the owners of Crabtree absolutely understand the importance of maintaining a leadership position going back a long way, and will spend to stay there. So, unless they’ve changed their opinion, they’ll do what they need to. Packed outside is nice, but being in the top tier of the highest rent rates nationwide is another.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:53 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times
Quote:
That’s true, but the owners of Crabtree absolutely understand the importance of maintaining a leadership position going back a long way, and will spend to stay there. So, unless they’ve changed their opinion, they’ll do what they need to. Packed outside is nice, but being in the top tier of the highest rent rates nationwide is another.
The old adage of ya gotta spend money to make money.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:36 PM

133 posts, read 110,710 times
Quote:
I agree with you on Crabtree. They have been excellent at maintaining their position in the Triangle. Even before the pandemic, they changed management companies. In fact, they had the same management company since they opened up in ‘72. That tells me, they are going to make some drastic changes, and felt like they needed a company that had different talent.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:05 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I would put my money on Southpoint outlasting TTC for sure; potentially even Crabtree.
The land underneath Crabtree is worth almost three times more per acre than the land underneath Southpoint ($1.1 million/acre versus $390,000/acre; source is the online GIS of both counties). Odds are we'll see Crabtree redeveloped in stages over 25 years, with an ever-decreasing percentage of its square footage devoted to retail.

In a peculiar way, Northgate's closing lets its tenants off the hook. Otherwise they were stuck with lease payments, utilities, etc while social distancing or its aftermath kills their sales.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:49 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,479,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Didn't Duke Med buy the Sears or Macy's at Northgate? Maybe Duke Med will buy the rest of it and have out-patient clinics with parking.
The same firm (or an affiliated firm) that developed 555 Mangum / Van Alen at the old Elkins Chrysler ended up buying the mall a couple of years back.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:59 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,479,117 times
Anyway, this is disappointing, but really not surprising. Ever since Belk closed in 05, Northgate has been dying a slow a painful death. In the early 2000s, they used to have your average mall staples like Gap and The Disney Store;by the mid to late 2000s, Belk closed, (HT and OfficeMax followed suit) and more “urban” clothing stores were being added. By the time the late 2010s rolled around, Northgate was looking kind of dire. Chick-Fil-A was gone, and stores in the outdoor area by the theater were even closing up shop. It was a mess.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:40 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,883,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
The land underneath Crabtree is worth almost three times more per acre than the land underneath Southpoint ($1.1 million/acre versus $390,000/acre; source is the online GIS of both counties). Odds are we'll see Crabtree redeveloped in stages over 25 years, with an ever-decreasing percentage of its square footage devoted to retail.

In a peculiar way, Northgate's closing lets its tenants off the hook. Otherwise they were stuck with lease payments, utilities, etc while social distancing or its aftermath kills their sales.
Yeah....but don't forget about the huge problem Crabtree has with flooding during heavy rains. Any future development projects would have to somehow mitigate that issue, plus the heavy traffic on Glenwood. The expense of dealing with both of those issues would make the site less attractive to developers.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:45 AM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Anyway, this is disappointing, but really not surprising. Ever since Belk closed in 05, Northgate has been dying a slow a painful death. In the early 2000s, they used to have your average mall staples like Gap and The Disney Store;by the mid to late 2000s, Belk closed, (HT and OfficeMax followed suit) and more “urban” clothing stores were being added. By the time the late 2010s rolled around, Northgate was looking kind of dire. Chick-Fil-A was gone, and stores in the outdoor area by the theater were even closing up shop. It was a mess.
That's almost a textbook perfect pathology of a dying mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary