Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 06:16 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Yeah....but don't forget about the huge problem Crabtree has with flooding during heavy rains. Any future development projects would have to somehow mitigate that issue, plus the heavy traffic on Glenwood. The expense of dealing with both of those issues would make the site less attractive to developers.
Heavy traffic is no disincentive. Just look at Buckhead and 285 at Ashford-Dunwoody in Atlanta, where the developers kept adding square footage where traffic was just as bad, if not worse, at the time than at Crabtree.

I suspect the flood scenario is already factored into Crabtree's land value. The designers of the new Crabtree Terrace building across Creedmoor from the mall dealt with flooding. Brasfield & Gorrie wrote, "To construct a flood-proof building, the team elevated the first floor, added an impervious clay liner, and installed a flood-proof curtain wall system that required structural steel supports. The additions will prevent ground water from entering the building and will hold back floor water."

Or so they say. And it's only a matter of time until someone builds on the lot where the Sheraton was,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 05:39 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
So it turns out I was there the last day of operation. Went in with friend to go the DMV and then went to Bath and Body Works for hand sanitizer.

I am 5 minutes from this mall. Damn, I went to the movie theater all the time.

Well if they survive I will still go to Randy's Pizza and the Cafeteria, which my friend adores.

So many people living in this area and right next to the highway.

So I guess it will become "LUXURY" apartments in the next 5 years.
Durham needs "LUXURY" apartments to help support its welfare system. The roads, sidewalks, parks, schools, etc. are falling apart. I live in Northgate Park and the streets, sidewalks, and parks are embarrassing. The sidewalk along Club Boulevard has a giant hole in it with construction tape around it. The city has done NOTHING about it for a year. Durham could be a great city, but the elected officials and public works people are useless. There's a crime problem in Durham. The Police Chief (a black woman by the way) wanted more officers. A majority of Council voted it down...they wanted to spend money on the "causes of crime". Seriously? The job of the police is protect people from crime occurring. Durham is turning into a dump and C'virus is only going to make it worse unless we get rid of the useless slobs on Council and in the Public Works department.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:40 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,219,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's almost a textbook perfect pathology of a dying mall.
Any time you see NC DMV as a tenant of a mall you can pretty much consider it dead.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:16 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
Just saw an article that Nordstrom will be closing down some of their stores. That could be a real kick in the gut if it happened at Southpoint.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:25 AM

821 posts, read 1,463,438 times
This may be OT, but I saw a headline today that Generation Z is showing a preference for in-store shopping as a way to distance from online/social media. I just thought it was interesting.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:17 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Just saw an article that Nordstrom will be closing down some of their stores. That could be a real kick in the gut if it happened at Southpoint.
They said they're closing 16 locations, and 10 have been identified so far by news sources or social media...Richmond (Short Pump), Sacramento (Arden Fair), Naples (Waterside), Denver/Broomfield (Flatiron Crossing), Hartford (Westfarms), Freehold (Raceway), Miami (Dadeland), Phoenix (Chandler), Annapolis, and Fort Worth (North East).

Old 05-07-2020, 12:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
The relatively tight site of Northgate makes for a perfect redevelopment opportunity like North Hills in Raleigh.
While Southpoint might be doing well now, both it and Triangle Town Center are examples of the very worst sort of mall development with just an enormous sea of surface lot parking encircling them. The joke about both of their outdoor walkable areas is that you can really only reasonably access them by driving there.
Triangle Town Center isn't in the center of the Triangle at all, and it doesn't evoke any sense of being the center of anything.
The Streets of Southpoint is ironically named as well; it should be named The Parking Lots of Southpoint.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
That's not true about Southpoint, rnc. The American Tobacco Trail goes right to and through the Southpoint area. It's easy to get to via bike riding or walking.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:54 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's not true about Southpoint, rnc. The American Tobacco Trail goes right to and through the Southpoint area. It's easy to get to via bike riding or walking.
You basically have to truck it across a giant sea of parking however to get the the "outdoor" part of Southpoint though. It's not exactly pedestrian friendly.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:31 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,797,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
You basically have to truck it across a giant sea of parking however to get the the "outdoor" part of Southpoint though. It's not exactly pedestrian friendly.
That is true! I have done it before. It is not pedestrian friendly at all. Or to walk from Southpoint to the shopping center with Michael's. It's a joke. You can traverse a grassy hill or walk in the driving lane and dart the cars.

The Nordstrom at Southpoint is always so empty when I go into it. I wouldn't be surprised if it closed sometime in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary