Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:52 PM

137 posts, read 607,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
BTW, "...pork bbq,..." isn't just pork.
It is much more than that, and done right, it is ENC vinegar-basted pulled pork.
A la, Bill's, Parker's, Clyde Cooper's, Old Time, Stephenson's, Murphy House, and a thousand churches and fire departments.
And that is THAT.

Awesome. Mike, you rock.
Bonus points for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 09:49 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
WHOA! HOLD YOUR HORSES!
I beg the question.
Could Austin be considered the Texan "Raleigh?"

BTW, "...pork bbq,..." isn't just pork.
It is much more than that, and done right, it is ENC vinegar-basted pulled pork.
A la, Bill's, Parker's, Clyde Cooper's, Old Time, Stephenson's, Murphy House, and a thousand churches and fire departments.
And that is THAT.

lol!! I LOVE Eastern NC bbq......now matter how great Austin is, they aren't going to have that! Yeah, Austin may have a better music scene, but so did almost every other city I've lived in......I do think Raleigh will get there...but it takes support....and not being compared to cities that already have their own grove....we have to find our grove (for lack of a better term).

Old 12-27-2006, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,039 times
Hi there - I'm new to this site - I'm a Native NY'er but with that said I've spent the last 10 years in Los Angeles - I came back to Long Island "NY" a year ago and as much as I do not enjoy the winters I just can't stand the Hustle and attitude as well as the smog of LA any longer - I've gotten used to the laid back life style of Suffolk County Long Island - the clean air and great fishing - I am contemplating Orange County, CA or San Diego possibly Portland on the west - Scottsdale MAYBE - on the east I'm looking into Tampa Florida or North or South Carolina - looking for a somewhat coastal area "I'm a big fisherman" affordable "Land" where I can put up a home in 5 years - and open my own NY style Pizzeria - Any suggestions? I like Tampa but the Carolina's just seem so much more real - up and coming - NY, LA, SD are so expensive - thanks for your thoughts.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:27 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,357 times
Smile I stand Corrected

OK - bbq isn't just pork - although that's what I heard on a T.V. special just last week, where they listed 4 states for great bbq: Kansas, North Carolina;Tennessee and, of course, Texas ... North Carolina was down for PORK not Beef - LOL. Let's face it, anyway you look at it, it's going to be delicious, rather it be pork or beef. Thanks for the great chuckle!

Old 12-28-2006, 02:19 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
OK - bbq isn't just pork - although that's what I heard on a T.V. special just last week, where they listed 4 states for great bbq: Kansas, North Carolina;Tennessee and, of course, Texas ... North Carolina was down for PORK not Beef - LOL. Let's face it, anyway you look at it, it's going to be delicious, rather it be pork or beef. Thanks for the great chuckle!
Oh just wait until you find yourself in the middle of your first Eastern NC-style v. Western NC-style bbq debate.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:44 AM

56 posts, read 185,717 times
Default Bar B Q

Well I'm from Houston and moved just North of Raleigh a little over a year ago. I brought my smoker pit and my brisket knowledge with me...LOL. No I dont have a resturant. Just like to bar b que. If your moving to Raleigh and miss that Texas cooking, no problem. Yes, I am starting to enjoy the pulled pork bar b que, and dare I say it...the vineger based sauce..LOL It's all good. Texas beef brisket still wins out though, and some smoked sausage. Love a good freindly bar b que competition..LOL

Old 12-29-2006, 05:29 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
There is NO other barbeque than eastern, vinegar based!!!!! Ahhhh that pig that has been cooking all day long...........

I do remember the first couple of days in austin going to someplace (seriously the kind of place that was so crowded and the people wanted your order fast, and I was trying to decide and we were inching up in line and my husband was breaking into a sweat because he thought I wouldn't know before I got to the counter which was a NO NO in this place)...........but anyhow, it was the beef brisket type of stuff, which was "fine", but I never lost sight of eastern carolina barbeque!

Leigh

Old 12-29-2006, 07:01 AM

37 posts, read 109,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
There is NO other barbeque than eastern, vinegar based!!!!! Ahhhh that pig that has been cooking all day long...........

I do remember the first couple of days in austin going to someplace (seriously the kind of place that was so crowded and the people wanted your order fast, and I was trying to decide and we were inching up in line and my husband was breaking into a sweat because he thought I wouldn't know before I got to the counter which was a NO NO in this place)...........but anyhow, it was the beef brisket type of stuff, which was "fine", but I never lost sight of eastern carolina barbeque!

Leigh
HEY LEIGH,
I BET YOUR THINKING OF RUDY'S.SOUNDS LIKE THE SAME PLACE I WENT TO MY FIRST TIME IN AUSTIN,I HAD THEM ORDER FOR ME.IT WAS PRETTY GOOD ESPECIALLY THE SWEET CORN... YYUUMMM!!!!!

Old 12-30-2006, 12:50 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,360 times
We definitely have the west vs east BBQ debate in our house - my husband, who grew up in Florida, can't stand BBQ that isn't "red". I still say there is no bbq like a good enc vinegar bbq.

Spiritartman - my husband grew up outside Tampa, and we lived there for 3 years before following a job here. It is beautiful, the fishing is great, the beaches are convenient and clean, but it is congested and expensive. We miss our family and friends there, but each time we go back, it is less and less recognizeable. I got lost going to the mall last time! The sprawl is only barely contained. My inlaws have seen their commutes to downtown double, despite the doubledecker crosstown expressway (which is an expensive toll road, I might add.) Of course, there is no Ybor here, and no TB Bucs, and they almost never show SEC football , but the pace is less frenzied, and the property tax, insurance, and real estate is more affordable here. About the only thing I really miss are the season passes to Busch Gardens - nothing like taking the kids for an afternoon for "free" - even parking!

Old 12-30-2006, 03:24 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroadagain View Post
HEY LEIGH,
I BET YOUR THINKING OF RUDY'S.SOUNDS LIKE THE SAME PLACE I WENT TO MY FIRST TIME IN AUSTIN,I HAD THEM ORDER FOR ME.IT WAS PRETTY GOOD ESPECIALLY THE SWEET CORN... YYUUMMM!!!!!
Yes yes yes........that is it! Seriously, my husband made me have a panic attack before I hit the register. People were VERY serious there and did not want me deciding when I got to the register.

stress...........

it was very good, but I hate to say this, I just don't eat red meat that much, so i don't think I appreciated it too much.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary