Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 11:01 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas666 View Post
What do you mean by bad buying power ? The real estate market have not gone up in a while or is it the high property tax ?
Where have you been? Lol. In all those cities the RE have gone up in last 10 year exponentially, and it still going up and up. Before you do anything, check out online cost of living calculators. The median house price in Denver is at least 450K right now. The housing is at least 40% more expensive compared to here. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Having said that there are lots of other places that could work for you. I am a person who craves new places and experiences every 7-10 years. I have lived in many places and I recommend if you have that feeling -- get out and explore. You can always move back. If you already own a home here, my recommendation, if it makes sense financially, hold on to it and rent it out. If nothing works out, you can always move back. If everything works out somewhere else -- this area is growing, so you can sell when you are ready.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2020 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 11:34 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
If you want to move out West, I'd definitely check out Salt Lake City (also getting unaffordable, but it's less so compared to Denver and Austin). Boise is starting to attract more and more tech, although I hear it's pretty meh for now.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:59 PM

51 posts, read 48,386 times
I don't know much about tech but I wouldn't move to SLC Utah - it is ranked number 7 for bad air quality in large metro areas. Salt Lake City has always sounded spectacular in name alone, but I was surprised to see all of the pollution flying into the airport there when visiting the university on business, masking the mountains. Sad....

Old 07-11-2020, 02:48 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
they get a lot of inversions in the west coast mountain cities like Boise and SLC which makes pollution worse than normally - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology)

Old 07-11-2020, 03:30 PM

11 posts, read 8,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Where have you been? Lol. In all those cities the RE have gone up in last 10 year exponentially, and it still going up and up. Before you do anything, check out online cost of living calculators. The median house price in Denver is at least 450K right now. The housing is at least 40% more expensive compared to here. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Having said that there are lots of other places that could work for you. I am a person who craves new places and experiences every 7-10 years. I have lived in many places and I recommend if you have that feeling -- get out and explore. You can always move back. If you already own a home here, my recommendation, if it makes sense financially, hold on to it and rent it out. If nothing works out, you can always move back. If everything works out somewhere else -- this area is growing, so you can sell when you are ready.

Good luck!
Its like you read my mind so perfectly. Now I realize that is exactly what I want to do.. explore new places and this is the longest I have stayed in a city. I own a single family and not sure if its easy to rent out a single family as opposed to town homes.
I want to explore Austin and I feel that might be the place for me but not so sure. What are your thoughts on it ?

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2020 at 06:25 AM..

Old 07-11-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
My wife spent part of HS in the suburbs of San Jose. When I told her we couldn't afford there, Denver was where she wanted to move.

That was the plan until Real Estate went cray cray out there and we ended up here.

(I'm in tech as well).
Yeah I read in a couple of blogs today that Denver's prices are so high that people are forced to rent houses that were built in the 1900's or 1800's

Old 07-11-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBlue111 View Post
Mountains, yes. Front Range, no. Plenty of people move there and then can have a hard time adjusting to the lack of trees, very bright sun, brown dead landscape for much of the year. As beautiful as the mountains are is as drab, unappealing as the front range can be. It's nice during a few green summer months but brown and dead looking for much of the rest of the year.

The housing out there can be cheap, poorly built, and far less appealing than in other places. You are paying top dollar for what is often a very underwhelming home on a very tiny lot with no trees to separate you from neighbors. It can get to you after awhile. Throw in the very bad traffic throughout the metro area, very crowded mountains, and higher COL and it is no mountain lifestyle utopia.

This can give you a view of what lots of the Denver area landscapes look like:

https://youtu.be/vkZYFXNNi4g
Then denver would be a definite NO for me.. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Portland has two month of lovely summer weather, and the rest of the time it is cool and rainy. However, ther are good tech jobs with Intel being a major employer. My brother is a system administrator and my nephew is a circuit designer.

I have never been to SLC, but it is a high desert climate.
I'd probably have to add Portland to my list of cities to checkout before making a decision. By the way it sounds I might like the weather there.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:39 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Its like you read my mind so perfectly. Now I realize that is exactly what I want to do.. explore new places and this is the longest I have stayed in a city. I own a single family and not sure if its easy to rent out a single family as opposed to town homes.
I want to explore Austin and I feel that might be the place for me but not so sure. What are your thoughts on it ?
Its easy to rent out a house, but owning rental property when you live a thousand miles away is a terrible idea, imo.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:40 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Yeah I read in a couple of blogs today that Denver's prices are so high that people are forced to rent houses that were built in the 1900's or 1800's
My house was built in 1891 and its nice as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary