Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 05:22 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

A well-landscaped (lack of ivy etc ground cover) will be much better. I live off Ridge Rd and wee haven't seen any copperheads (including neighbors) this year, but we HAVE seen them, primarily at night on driveways and roads. But if you'r talking ITB teardowns, the lot is usually completely cleaned and start over with landscaping. My neighbors and I all have ivy, etc.

There are reports of coyotes nearby. I haven't heard them, but we have plenty of greenways with natural buffers for them to live in. We do have foxes, but they're mostly dusk/nocturnal animals when "hunting"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 06:43 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
To the original poster, I think you're overly concerned. There are no more (probably less) predators that injure pets here than anywhere. I've lived in NC for almost 70 years and can count on one hand the number of incidents. If your pups are not left outside at night, there is no problem. Don't worry about it.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:52 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonkamari View Post
I wanted the straight scoop and appreciate all your responses. I do take it very seriously.
Would you say being on a city lot (infill type lot) with a well-groomed landscape would lower our chances of having snakes?

Yes and no.

I remember reading a news article where a woman was bitten by a Copperhead on the foot because she was taking her recycling bin out. The snake decided that the gap underneath the bin was cozy. Last week, someone on my Nextdoor found one coiled in the corner of her garage.

I just moved here 3 years ago from somewhere we didn't have snakes. Since we bought our house, it's something that's in the back of my mind when I'm in or around areas I know they like (under the deck, under the shed, in a natural area behind the house). Sometimes I even see things and think "If I was a snake, I'd love to hang out there" but it's not all out anxiety. Like anything else, you get used to it.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:54 AM

I will mention though, the first Copperhead I saw was only about a month or so ago. After I squatted down beside it to take a photo in a local park. Thankfully, the snake was faced away from me, didn't feel threatened, and I left it alone.

So many people told me that a lot of times, they're there, but you don't even see/notice them. Definitely true in that case!

Old 07-20-2020, 09:57 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Yes and no.

I remember reading a news article where a woman was bitten by a Copperhead on the foot because she was taking her recycling bin out. The snake decided that the gap underneath the bin was cozy. .
Ha! Though that was not me, it easily could have been...I too found one under my recycling bin; it had spent the night under the gap. That was a few years ago and now I stand in front of every bin and pull it toward me to expose any lurking snakes.

I didn't get bitten that day and actually relocated it to a forest after a neighbor got it into a box. I didn't know better, so I tried to take it to animal control, much to the amusement of animal control and my horror when they refused.

I saw three of them in the woods behind my house when I was clearing out ivy. I have to clear out more this week and will probably see more.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Ha! Though that was not me, it easily could have been...I too found one under my recycling bin; it had spent the night under the gap. That was a few years ago and now I stand in front of every bin and pull it toward me to expose any lurking snakes.

I didn't get bitten that day and actually relocated it to a forest after a neighbor got it into a box. I didn't know better, so I tried to take it to animal control, much to the amusement of animal control and my horror when they refused.

I saw three of them in the woods behind my house when I was clearing out ivy. I have to clear out more this week and will probably see more.

You did more than I would have. I hear the spray from a hose is a good way to get them out of garages and areas like that.

Ooh boy, be careful! When I have to work in an area with brush or leaf piles, I take my rake and WHACK the area first. A bunch of times. My neighbors must think I'm crazy, but I'd rather know there was something lurking.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
You did more than I would have. I hear the spray from a hose is a good way to get them out of garages and areas like that.

Ooh boy, be careful! When I have to work in an area with brush or leaf piles, I take my rake and WHACK the area first. A bunch of times. My neighbors must think I'm crazy, but I'd rather know there was something lurking.
Yup I will be poking around with a long stick. Also to find turtles because I'm going to use a string trimmer on the ivy so I want everyone to clear away first.

I found when doing this last time that the copperheads will slither away from the string trimmer and away from me, so I was suddenly less worried about copperheads, at least when I have one of those going (thanks, Ryobi!)

Old 07-20-2020, 02:05 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I'm in the same house for 18 years. Lawn in front. Jungle in back with ivy and other spreading junk, with a ditch behind which lays with a bit of water.
We have occasional foxes, deer, resident possums, hawks, black snakes, but I have never seen a copperhead.
No idea why, because I have little doubt that the habitat is good enough.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm in the same house for 18 years. Lawn in front. Jungle in back with ivy and other spreading junk, with a ditch behind which lays with a bit of water.
We have occasional foxes, deer, resident possums, hawks, black snakes, but I have never seen a copperhead.
No idea why, because I have little doubt that the habitat is good enough.
I am surprised! Maybe it's the black snakes - don't they eat them?

I've never seen a black snake in my neighborhood. I am intrigued.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:29 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I am surprised! Maybe it's the black snakes - don't they eat them?

I've never seen a black snake in my neighborhood. I am intrigued.

Here is a baby about 18-24 inches long. They get much larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary