Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 09:44 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,346,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think they're good ideas, I just know it's not always that easy. I'm sure staffing has a lot to do with it - teachers and TA's need a lunch too, so staffing those "lunch classrooms" I'm sure would be an issue. Last year I believe they had the TA's from the virtual classes take care of that watching over lunch. Not an option this year.

I have trust in the principals - I think they will do everything that they are able to, but they can only do so much.

I think think the bigger issue is defining what exactly a "train wreck" is. Just having positive cases is not a train wreck in my opinion. The WCPSS covid dashboard does nothing except create panic. It does no good whatsoever, nor does the local media reporting on every cluster that shows up. If anything at all, there should be a private dashboard per school that's only accessible by parents of that school. Even better, each school just sends out a weekly Covid update email. I do not care about what's happening at other schools.
To each his own. I like the full data and the transparency of it. We will never eliminate community spread but the district's job is to mitigate spread on campus. They are not doing that job well. Based on the number of open buildings and the number of confirmed clusters/suspected spread, they need to react and change something. This is an increase from last year. To me the train wreak would be ignoring the numbers and allowing 145 more buildings to open up with no guidance on how to deal with times that students are unmasked. I get that you trust your principal, I do not feel the same way about mine based on discussions I have had with them and things that I witnessed last year. They need a framework to build on.

Again, I agree it is a tough situation and this will not be perfect but the district should not be throwing their hands up in air and giving up either. Another reason I care about the total numbers is that when we are seeing campus spread at 10% of open schools there will be more people wanting to return to the VA and demanding the enrollment open again. Hell, someone was asking what I thought about a cohorts again. That threatens in person learning if they shuffle the deck again. The district can show the public they they are aware of the data and are responding accordingly and this will reassure many people. They can quell some elements of panic by being proactive. I do realize that some will panic no matter what but by staying silent on this issue they are not helping. WCPSS has always sucked at communication/PR. They are emailing once a week but nothing about about this, it gives the impression that they do not care or are unaware. The ultimate goal should be to safely keep kids in person full time, even if it is not easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 10:14 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,290,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
To each his own. I like the full data and the transparency of it. We will never eliminate community spread but the district's job is to mitigate spread on campus. They are not doing that job well. Based on the number of open buildings and the number of confirmed clusters/suspected spread, they need to react and change something. This is an increase from last year. To me the train wreak would be ignoring the numbers and allowing 145 more buildings to open up with no guidance on how to deal with times that students are unmasked. I get that you trust your principal, I do not feel the same way about mine based on discussions I have had with them and things that I witnessed last year. They need a framework to build on.

Again, I agree it is a tough situation and this will not be perfect but the district should not be throwing their hands up in air and giving up either. Another reason I care about the total numbers is that when we are seeing campus spread at 10% of open schools there will be more people wanting to return to the VA and demanding the enrollment open again. Hell, someone was asking what I thought about a cohorts again. That threatens in person learning if they shuffle the deck again. The district can show the public they they are aware of the data and are responding accordingly and this will reassure many people. They can quell some elements of panic by being proactive. I do realize that some will panic no matter what but by staying silent on this issue they are not helping. WCPSS has always sucked at communication/PR. They are emailing once a week but nothing about about this, it gives the impression that they do not care or are unaware. The ultimate goal should be to safely keep kids in person full time, even if it is not easy.
I didn't even think about cohorts. Hopefully we don't go down that path.

I'm all for collecting data and making it available, I just don't think it's helpful for it to constantly be in our faces via the media. I don't think that people need to worry about what's happening outside of their own school - there's just too many different factors that affect each school individually.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:55 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,063,877 times
About sums it up for this reader.

"If you don't trust the medical field to prevent you from getting it....why do you trust them to cure you from it?" What an effing bar that is.

NSFW language warning....also if you are offended by gratuitous use of the F word, just keep scrolling.

https://twitter.com/DanOBrienPoker/s...162608131?s=20

Old 08-12-2021, 11:00 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,856,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The R0 of delta is about an 8 or 9.

So, todays, 10 kids could easily be tomorrow’s 80 or 90.

Which is why they keep close watch.
Whether schools are open or not, kids are getting together. It's business as usual in my neighborhood, groups of kids walking, biking, playing, all rec leagues are open and so on and so forth. Nothing is happening in a bubble.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
About sums it up for this reader.

"If you don't trust the medical field to prevent you from getting it....why do you trust them to cure you from it?" What an effing bar that is.

NSFW language warning....also if you are offended by gratuitous use of the F word, just keep scrolling.

https://twitter.com/DanOBrienPoker/s...162608131?s=20
Haven't watched the video yet, but can't that be turned around? It seems like there are more and more vaccinated folks out there that don't have much faith in the vaccine.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Haven't watched the video yet, but can't that be turned around? It seems like there are more and more vaccinated folks out there that don't have much faith in the vaccine.
In today’s day and age anything can be turned around.

But I think it’s fair to say that vaxxed people's faith in the vaccine would be higher if some portion of the 100M of our countrymen and women weren’t running around playing the role of virus mutation factory.

I still have faith in my protection, even against serious disease from Delta. That faith will decrease if my yahoo QAnon Neighbor helps shepherd in “Sigma Variant†which renders most Vaxx little efficacy (as a hypothetical example as that is how viruses mutate to get around vaccines)

Old 08-12-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
In today’s day and age anything can be turned around.

But I think it’s fair to say that vaxxed people's faith in the vaccine would be higher if some portion of the 100M of our countrymen and women weren’t running around playing the role of virus mutation factory.

I still have faith in my protection, even against serious disease from Delta. That faith will decrease if my yahoo QAnon Neighbor helps shepherd in “Sigma Variant†which renders most Vaxx little efficacy (as a hypothetical example as that is how viruses mutate to get around vaccines)
I agree with you, but I think there's still too much that needs to be learned. I'm not sure we can only blame the unvaxxed when vaxxed people are walking around with just as much viral load. I don't think we know yet whether vaxxed people spreading the disease is as likely to cause mutation as an unvaxxed person. My assumption is that it would be.

Delta was not created by the unvaxxed US - it was coming here either way. If the vaccine stopped the virus enough to have very low viral load, then I'd be more comfortable blaming only the unvaxxed.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I agree with you, but I think there's still too much that needs to be learned. I'm not sure we can only blame the unvaxxed when vaxxed people are walking around with just as much viral load. I don't think we know yet whether vaxxed people spreading the disease is as likely to cause mutation as an unvaxxed person. My assumption is that it would be.

Delta was not created by the unvaxxed US - it was coming here either way. If the vaccine stopped the virus enough to have very low viral load, then I'd be more comfortable blaming only the unvaxxed.
The nuance to your point is (which I agree with at 50K feet).

1. Delta mutated in a country of a Billion people who, at the time it emerged, had something like 1-2% of its populated vaxxed (and very few if any with the US vaxes. Sinovax I believe is what they have in India and most reports I have seen have rendered it basically hot garbage). I don't blame US unvaxxed for Delta.

2. The longer the world isn't vaxxed en masse, the more variants there will be and eventually one (or more) will render the vaccine efficacy moot....it's science, with enough time, it is a mathematical certainty as Thomas Andrews said.

3. Where I blame the US unvaxxed (voluntary unvaxxed vs those who can't) is for whatever reason they throw out there, they ignore the reality their choice (which is theirs) is risking the rest of us (I'm looking long runway, you seem to be on a much shorter runway). I keep saying this, and I feel like people miss it, vaccines work as a system. If you never get to the bar (HI) then your population really isn't "vaccinated" even though individuals are, because there is enough wiggle room for Mother Nature to do her thing....and rest assured, she will. She always does.

In short, yes, I don't blame the US unvaxxed for Delta. That came from somewhere else. But you can bet your ass Ill blame them for the "Murica!!! Variant" when it shows up (and it will eventually) because we have a massive pool of selfish," my freedumb to do whatever I want, I'm 18!!" mutation factories running around like life is normal because the veneer of normal life is there because of the efforts of the rest of us. The only way they have been part of the solution is if they went unvaxxed and stayed in their homes/only around other unvaxxed people. We obviously know they aren't doing that. Because that would be "livin' in fear" or some chit.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The nuance to your point is (which I agree with at 50K feet).

1. Delta mutated in a country of a Billion people who, at the time it emerged, had something like 1-2% of its populated vaxxed (and very few if any with the US vaxes. Sinovax I believe is what they have in India and most reports I have seen have rendered it basically hot garbage). I don't blame US unvaxxed for Delta.

2. The longer the world isn't vaxxed en masse, the more variants there will be and eventually one (or more) will render the vaccine efficacy moot....it's science, with enough time, it is a mathematical certainty as Thomas Andrews said.

3. Where I blame the US unvaxxed (voluntary unvaxxed vs those who can't) is for whatever reason they throw out there, they ignore the reality their choice (which is theirs) is risking the rest of us (I'm looking long runway, you seem to be on a much shorter runway). I keep saying this, and I feel like people miss it, vaccines work as a system. If you never get to the bar (HI) then your population really isn't "vaccinated" even though individuals are, because there is enough wiggle room for Mother Nature to do her thing....and rest assured, she will. She always does.

In short, yes, I don't blame the US unvaxxed for Delta. That came from somewhere else. But you can bet your ass Ill blame them for the "Murica!!! Variant" when it shows up (and it will eventually) because we have a massive pool of selfish," my freedumb to do whatever I want, I'm 18!!" mutation factories running around like life is normal because the veneer of normal life is there because of the efforts of the rest of us. The only way they have been part of the solution is if they went unvaxxed and stayed in their homes/only around other unvaxxed people. We obviously know they aren't doing that. Because that would be "livin' in fear" or some chit.
I have a hard time believing the US is the only country having issues getting people vaccinated, but I admittedly haven't looked at the worldwide stats. Also there are many countries using vaccines which have far lower efficacy than the ones we use (at least for the original strain, I assume even lower for Delta).

I disagree with putting that much blame on the US - now and going forward. We have unvaccinated entering this country at all times - you're not going to stop various variants from arriving, and the US won't be the only people producing variants.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:44 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,346,152 times
Quote:
I think people are aware that even with the vaccine you can get a breakthrough infection or you can be a carrier. I have unvaccinated kids and I do not want them to get COVID, so I am careful. I trust the vaccine and understand that even if I did get a breakthrough infection, my case would likely be mild and I am glad for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary