Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2021, 01:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times

Advertisements

Posting from this source only because it's the only one I could find that isn't paywalled - see NYT if you have access:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/plast...ot-likely-help

What I found interesting was:

Quote:
While the barriers might block larger particles from coughs and sneezes, growing evidence suggests smaller aerosol particles waft around the barrier and risk exposing others.
Quote:
Linsey Marr, professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech, likened the phenomenon to cigarette smoke, telling the New York Times in part: "One way to think about plastic barriers is that they are good for blocking things like spitballs but ineffective for things like cigarette smoke...The smoke simply drifts around them…"
Sort of like masks, yeah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 02:58 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,343,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That's great, but not the case for probably 95% of the country. The mainstream media is not doing what is best for the country, and that's a huge part of the problem and why so many are living in a state of fear. It will be hard to ever leave this behind when the risk tolerance of so many has been destroyed.
I find it interesting that you say nothing of the media that spreading falsehoods, conspiracy theories and generally said the pandemic is BS from the start. You don't mind that information out there and don't think they have done a disservice to the country?

Old 08-19-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I find it interesting that you say nothing of the media that spreading falsehoods, conspiracy theories and generally said the pandemic is BS from the start. You don't mind that information out there and don't think they have done a disservice to the country?
Not sure where I specifically called out a certain segment of mainstream media. It all sucks.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:22 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,343,379 times
Quote:
Not sure where I specifically called out a certain segment of mainstream media. It all sucks.
You referred to people living in a state of fear. Clearly that is not coming from media outlets both mainstream and not that refer to COVID as the flu or a hoax.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:52 PM

926 posts, read 753,865 times
Quote:
Posting from this source only because it's the only one I could find that isn't paywalled - see NYT if you have access:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/plast...ot-likely-help

What I found interesting was:

Sort of like masks, yeah?
No, very different from masks.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 779,554 times
Quote:
It doesn’t. There are media out there that offer tons of information that are backed with facts, based on research and not sensationalized. Media is the watchdog and saying it all sucks is dangerous. We should be thankful that there are still outlets that do outstanding journalistic work.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
You referred to people living in a state of fear. Clearly that is not coming from media outlets both mainstream and not that refer to COVID as the flu or a hoax.
How many mainstream media outlets are referring to COVID as the flu or a hoax?

Old 08-19-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
It doesn’t. There are media out there that offer tons of information that are backed with facts, based on research and not sensationalized. Media is the watchdog and saying it all sucks is dangerous. We should be thankful that there are still outlets that do outstanding journalistic work.
I didn't say all the media sucks. I said the mainstream media sucks, regardless of what side they lean toward.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:12 PM

926 posts, read 753,865 times
Lets argue about the meaning of the word mainstream. That'll be fun. And productive.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Lets argue about the meaning of the word mainstream. That'll be fun. And productive.
Another new username eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary