Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2021, 01:20 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,287,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I am, but the exemption that applies in the case of a hearing impairment allows the person communicating with someone with a hearing impairment to remove their mask so their lips can be seen. If you have a hearing impairment and need to see someone's lips to understand them, not wearing a mask yourself would not make any difference.
Wow that sounds awesome to have to ask anyone in public to remove their mask so I can hear them clearly. I'm sure that won't be a pain at all, and will work out real well.

Maybe you can admit that mask wearing isn't "no big deal" for everyone.

Quote:
I didn't come up with any theory that says there's no need to talk to people when in public places. I said "there's usually not much need to talk in those situations" meaning checking out in the grocery store and the like. I came up with that particular theory after decades of checking out at the grocery store and the like. Very little if anything ever actually needs to be said.

I'll be the first to admit that people wearing masks can make it difficult to hear even for those without hearing impairments, especially when there's plexiglass involved. However, there are usually ways to overcome the problem, and since we're in a pandemic, it seems reasonable.
I literally just got back from the store. Myself and and cashier were masked. There was a useless piece of swinging plexiglass between us hanging from the ceiling. He forgot to ring up an item, he tried to explain it, couldn't hear him between two masks and a piece of plexiglass. This stuff happens all...the....time. Again, I'm glad it's not an issue for you.

Quote:
What??? I guess they shouldn't be worn when they no longer should be worn.

I think most local leaders are doing the best they can given the circumstances and are relying on public health agencies and experts for guidance and data. I don't feel the need to drill down for what you seem to want because I'm just not that suspicious of them and feel like they'll remove the mandates as soon as it's reasonable. You can alway exercise your rights as a citizen and demand specifics from them and use your vote when the time comes.

Now I'm suspicious of government because I expect there to be concrete standards and thresholds for mask wearing? Give me a break. The fact is, you couldn't tell me what the thresholds are, because they don't exist. If they did exist, it would take you a week to compile the data because it would be different for every single town. And please don't give me the "you could exercise your rights and demand specifics, and vote" routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 01:55 PM

1,330 posts, read 726,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Wow that sounds awesome to have to ask anyone in public to remove their mask so I can hear them clearly. I'm sure that won't be a pain at all, and will work out real well.
You must have missed where I covered this already.

Quote:
Maybe you can admit that mask wearing isn't "no big deal" for everyone.
If I ever said that, I would, but since I didn’t, then no.

Quote:
I literally just got back from the store. Myself and and cashier were masked. There was a useless piece of swinging plexiglass between us hanging from the ceiling. He forgot to ring up an item, he tried to explain it, couldn't hear him between two masks and a piece of plexiglass. This stuff happens all...the....time. Again, I'm glad it's not an issue for you.
Are you reading my posts? I said it can make it difficult to hear. We’ve all been there. You’re not describing an especially unique situation.

Quote:
Now I'm suspicious of government because I expect there to be concrete standards and thresholds for mask wearing? Give me a break. The fact is, you couldn't tell me what the thresholds are, because they don't exist. If they did exist, it would take you a week to compile the data because it would be different for every single town. And please don't give me the "you could exercise your rights and demand specifics, and vote" routine.
I couldn’t tell you because I don’t care to find out that info and never made any claims about it. You want to know, go find out. Me failing to find out the information you’re demanding doesn’t mean it’s not out there, and you failing to provide it doesn’t prove what you’re claiming either.

Have a nice day!

Old 10-19-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I couldn’t tell you because I don’t care to find out that info and never made any claims about it. You want to know, go find out. Me failing to find out the information you’re demanding doesn’t mean it’s not out there, and you failing to provide it doesn’t prove what you’re claiming either.
I am telling you it's not out there.

This conversation started because you stated you don't understand the "urgency" to remove mask mandates. I understand wearing a mask doesn't bother you, and I understand due to that, you'd prefer to just keep the mask mandate for the warm fuzzy factor. I gave you real world examples on why many people may disagree with that, but you continue down the ignorance road and say "we all deal with that, fine for me it should be fine for everyone else".

Not much anyone can do to answer your question if you refuse to listen.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I am telling you it's not out there.

This conversation started because you stated you don't understand the "urgency" to remove mask mandates. I understand wearing a mask doesn't bother you, and I understand due to that, you'd prefer to just keep the mask mandate for the warm fuzzy factor. I gave you real world examples on why many people may disagree with that, but you continue down the ignorance road and say "we all deal with that, fine for me it should be fine for everyone else".

Not much anyone can do to answer your question if you refuse to listen.
I'm the one not listening? Dude, if you're going to claim I'm not listening, best actually read my posts and not repeatedly misquote me.

And I did listen to you. You just weren't particularly convincing. Saying it's difficult to hear people with masks at the store is a good reason to drop the mandate even though the CDC says were in a high transmission community during a pandemic that basically shut down the world for a time doesn't do it for me. Thank you for sharing your perspective though.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I'm the one not listening? Dude, if you're going to claim I'm not listening, best actually read my posts and not repeatedly misquote me.

And I did listen to you. You just weren't particularly convincing. Saying it's difficult to hear people with masks at the store is a good reason to drop the mandate even though the CDC says were in a high transmission community during a pandemic that basically shut down the world for a time doesn't do it for me. Thank you for sharing your perspective though.
You really are unbelievable - this will be my last post to you.

I didn't say that difficulty hearing is a good reason to drop the mandate when a mandate is necessary. YOU asked what the urgency was to end mandates, and I simply provided an example of people with disabilities who see a higher urgency than you do. But you couldn't care less about anybody but yourself.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:

I didn't say that difficulty hearing is a good reason to drop the mandate when a mandate is necessary. YOU asked what the urgency was to end mandates, and I simply provided an example of people with disabilities who see a higher urgency than you do. But you couldn't care less about anybody but yourself.
Yup, you got me. I only want to keep mask mandates because I only care about myself.

And I didn’t actually ask. I said I didn’t get it and stated why and you came in with that it’s hard to hear people.

Given how little you seemed to know about how communication works for people with hearing impairments or what the exemption entailed, I’m doubtful you have a lot of familiarity with disabilities. Disabilities are something you seem to have a habit of championing when it suits your arguments though.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:10 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,966,394 times
Quote:

Irony alert!!!

Old 10-20-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Irony alert!!!
Just so I understand, you're saying the irony is that I don't care about others because I'd like mask mandates to be removed when the data supports it?

Old 10-21-2021, 06:49 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,242,122 times
meanwhile, in NC - cases and deaths are back down to late February levels and basically the same rate of decline. And Caprac is 50% of both hospitalizations and ICU's of what it was just 30 days ago. And about 50% fewer admissions

For whatever reason, 50% of hospital admissions continue to be folks > 60

Old 10-23-2021, 09:36 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,242,122 times
Perhaps someone much smarter than me can explain this "High Community Transmission". I can't understand how it's important anymore, or even moreso - who decided what "High" is anyway and how they set the thresholds.

According to CDC, we stand at 116 cases/100K. >100 is High, but > 50 is substantial, and that's deemed "too much". Here's how that's defined:

Quote:
Total new cases refers to a county’s rate of new COVID-19 infections, reported over the past 7 days, per every 100,000 residents. To calculate this number, CDC divides the total number of new infections by the total population in that county. CDC multiplies this number by 100,000.
so first I was wrong - it's not any average at all - it's the most recent 7 day total cases.

However, at 116/cases per 100K that's roughly 1,300 cases in a week (giving them a little extra).

1% of Wake population is 11,000. We've now reported 128K cases - so roughly 12% of the entire county population.

But that means it takes roughly 9 weeks at our current (though falling) rate to infect 1% more of Wake population (13% total). And if we were <50 cases/100K, then it would be about 5 months to gain 1% of population testing positive.

Or, since they used to talk about (long ago, in the first several months of Covid) about the rate of doubling. That would be 98 weeks - almost 2 years. Now, today, this is relatively unimportant, but I calculated it . And since the "doubling of cases" is now unimportant, why would some unexplained "Transmission Rate" still be important or set at these thresholds?

We know what truly "High Transmission" looks like in NC/Triangle - early January (636/100K) and early Sept (445/100K). At our absolute lowest (40/day; mid-June) we were still about 25/100K which isn't Low, it's only squarely in the middle of Moderate. In fact, we've only been "Moderate" for about 3 weeks since June 1, 2020.

Looking at a few big or heavy-hit states - CA, FL, NY, NJ - their peak infection/hospital usage appears to be when transmission is 330+

Now, obviously you wouldn't only "sound the alarm" (High Transmission) when you reach say 300. But why would you do it at 1/3 of that level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary