Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2022, 09:04 PM

3,732 posts, read 2,080,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you know, I was thinking. Between the long weekend and the East Coast storm likely knocking congregation down ... maybe just maybe this will put a real dent in cases and inpatient hospitalizations.

as to T-cell death in kids with long Covid (I guess meaning the T-cells die, not the kids) are you talking about this?

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/co...174340026.html
No not the kids dying, but kids (and adults too) with longCOVID finding their immune systems ravaged as a result of infection.

I saw a virologist recently saying that they and their colleagues see quite a bit of overlap between COVID and HIV in terms of what it does to the immune systems of some people. The impacts to the brain as well.

Here’s some findings on it. I could post others but want to leave it with just the original science-y write up

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41590-021-01113-x?s=09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 02:23 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,343,857 times
Watching the WCPSS board work session, they have a rep from NCDHHS "answering questions". She has deferred probably 50% of the questions at least.

It's embarassing how many questions that should have simple answers, they are unable to answer. This includes but is not limited to "how many covid hospitalizations are people who are in the hospital with covid versus from covid". If people honestly believe that we aren't able to collect this sort of data two years into Covid, then I don't know what to tell you.

The question is, why aren't they collecting it? Is it because the hospitals don't want to provide it (ie $$$ for covid patients), or is it because the government chooses not to collect it? Neither is acceptable.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:54 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,341,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
No not the kids dying, but kids (and adults too) with longCOVID finding their immune systems ravaged as a result of infection.

I saw a virologist recently saying that they and their colleagues see quite a bit of overlap between COVID and HIV in terms of what it does to the immune systems of some people. The impacts to the brain as well.

Here’s some findings on it. I could post others but want to leave it with just the original science-y write up

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41590-021-01113-x?s=09
suffice it to say, that is far too dense for me to follow along. I did note high rates (70%+) of Long Covid - fatigue and muscle weakness) for the hospitalized and a 21% Long Covid rate for all even at 8 months ... both of which are certainly troubling.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:56 PM

I did find it amazing there are only 3 WCPSS clusters, and they're all high schools with just 5 cases. And a huge one (50 kids) at a Charter school in Wendell Falls.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:46 PM

22,765 posts, read 37,064,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I did find it amazing there are only 3 WCPSS clusters, and they're all high schools with just 5 cases. And a huge one (50 kids) at a Charter school in Wendell Falls.
I'm sure there are so many asymptomatic cases in the high schools....DD is a senior and she probably knows more people who had it the last couple of weeks than not. It's like lice at this point.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:50 AM

Uhhh I think it’s about two years late on this front:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/free-n9...ys-11642586403

smh

Old 01-20-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Uhhh I think it’s about two years late on this front:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/free-n9...ys-11642586403

smh
basically a 1-day supply to the nation. Political absurd theater. And it's about half the national stockpile.

And if each hospitalized Covid patient creates a 24 hour need of staff for 10 masks, that's 1.3MM masks ... every single day.

are they going to give out 1/person? you get to claim 4/household? everybody needs to be present to win?

Old 01-20-2022, 11:38 AM

Actual comments from a Nextdoor thread:

- Once she was finished she returned back to work while she waited for the results. In the meantime, she was continuing to handle and serve food. This negligence have put my family at risk as well as the community. Anyone who was served at this McDonald's today needs to be aware that they've been compromised.

- I may be totally wrong, but I thought you could not get covid from food.

- Ok, this may be a silly question, but what about the bags/wrappings/containers that he food is in? Cannot those items be containmentated?

- Thanks for the response. I have heard so much about COVID, and how you can get it. I thought it could last on countertops, plastic gloves, bags, etc. for up to three days.

- Unless you live in a bubble, you're exposed to this daily, if you have your mask on, you're good to go.

Good to see that after 2 years people have a solid understanding of how an airborne virus works, and how masks work. No wonder so many are still worried.

Last edited by m378; 01-20-2022 at 12:05 PM..

Old 01-20-2022, 12:16 PM

Anything can happen of course, but it looks like the graphs are showing early signs of a peak. Which would make sense following other parts of the country.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:02 PM

Massachusetts is now tracking primary versus incidental Covid hospitalizations. Better late than never I guess? Still much further than NC is.

Not surprisingly, about half are incidental.

It's really crazy that this sort of data has not come forth sooner. How come? Why have we been given misleading data for 2 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary