Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2021, 08:03 AM

1,342 posts, read 734,449 times

Advertisements

I'm over 8 months out from when I got the second dose of Pfizer, but I haven't been able to get my booster due to some ongoing medical issues. The news has me wondering if I may as well be unvaccinated at the this point though, and I guess my kids was well. I'm hoping to be able to get mine next week and also one for my oldest.

Until then, we're masking up everywhere, mandate or not. That was pretty awkward yesterday when we were literally the only people masked at a store in a neighboring county. We got some funny looks, but whatever. We're doing what we need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 08:27 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,954,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I'm over 8 months out from when I got the second dose of Pfizer, but I haven't been able to get my booster due to some ongoing medical issues. The news has me wondering if I may as well be unvaccinated at the this point though, and I guess my kids was well. I'm hoping to be able to get mine next week and also one for my oldest.

Until then, we're masking up everywhere, mandate or not. That was pretty awkward yesterday when we were literally the only people masked at a store in a neighboring county. We got some funny looks, but whatever. We're doing what we need to do.
We were 8 months out from our last Pfizer shot and I felt the same as you (not protected). We finally got the booster on Friday because our daughter will be coming home this week. I also decided to switch it up and go with Moderna because of Pfizer's efficacy versus Moderna's.

You may want to try to at least get an appointment on the books, even if you will have to cancel/postpone, because when I went to try to schedule so many places were out past Christmas. If it weren't for Nextdoor we wouldn't have even thought about going to the place someone else (who had the same issue finding an appointment) recommended.

As for the mask thing, it reminds me of when we had to go pick something up in another county recently. People looked at us like we were freaks for wearing masks. I really don't care.

Hope your medical issue gets resolved soon and you are able to get your booster soon!

Old 12-20-2021, 08:33 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,311,958 times
I personally don't care if people wear masks, and I expect to get the same respect back if I don't wear one (when it's not mandated). Unfortunately there's just as many dirty looks when you're unmasked.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:57 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,362,770 times
I wear masks in any indoor, public places.

And when interacting at a drive thru. The latter is more out of respect for the workers who get people in their faces all day long.

I rather enjoy masks in public, tbh.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I wear masks in any indoor, public places.

And when interacting at a drive thru. The latter is more out of respect for the workers who get people in their faces all day long.

I rather enjoy masks in public, tbh.
Just curious, what do you find enjoyable about them? I find that it's extremely hard to communicate with people, but I'm hard of hearing. I also can't stand not being able to see emotion in people's faces.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Just curious, what do you find enjoyable about them? I find that it's extremely hard to communicate with people, but I'm hard of hearing. I also can't stand not being able to see emotion in people's faces.
I always felt that the eyes are more expressive (and more genuine) in expression than what's below. Anyone can fake a smile but when you look in their eyes you can usually see how they really feel.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:56 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,559,052 times
Quote:
I have the same issue with hearing and have found that maybe I was compensating by reading their lips. Talking to someone with a mask on, if there is any background noise, is a frustrating experience for both of us. I also do wear them where mandated but avoid certain stores that require them outside of government mandates, but that is a personal preference.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I always felt that the eyes are more expressive (and more genuine) in expression than what's below. Anyone can fake a smile but when you look in their eyes you can usually see how they really feel.
Everyone says this, but I can’t read people’s eyes. Maybe it’s just me.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Everyone says this, but I can’t read people’s eyes. Maybe it’s just me.
It could be that you just aren't used to looking into eyes. I know I used to only look into the eyes of family and friends because it just didn't feel right looking into strangers eyes. But the more I saw my mothers eyes (when she had dementia) the more it made me realize how important eyes are.

I also think now that when you have a conversation with someone it means more when you actually look at their eyes. Like when I say to a cashier "how are you doing today" and I am looking in their eyes versus their mouth it really has more meaning. It's not that fake "How ya doing today" that I did before just to act like I was being polite. There is no faking my words when I am looking someone in their eyes. However I can see where if you have any slight hearing problems that maybe looking at a mouth would be more of a benefit.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
It could be that you just aren't used to looking into eyes. I know I used to only look into the eyes of family and friends because it just didn't feel right looking into strangers eyes. But the more I saw my mothers eyes (when she had dementia) the more it made me realize how important eyes are.

I also think now that when you have a conversation with someone it means more when you actually look at their eyes. Like when I say to a cashier "how are you doing today" and I am looking in their eyes versus their mouth it really has more meaning. It's not that fake "How ya doing today" that I did before just to act like I was being polite. There is no faking my words when I am looking someone in their eyes. However I can see where if you have any slight hearing problems that maybe looking at a mouth would be more of a benefit.
I guess I'll have to notice. As far as I know I'm an eye contact person.

I know on myself you can't tell in my eyes when I'm smiling. It takes a full on laugh to see any movement around my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary