Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 02:46 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,608,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
No, for two reasons:

1. A properly fitted N95 is not comfortable at all, especially if it's fitting correctly. It's not as "not a big deal" as wearing a floppy cloth mask, especially for younger kids.

KN95. Seriously, try it. I don't know if we're allowed to put commercial links here but I always get the Powecom KN95 and they are the most comfortable, IMO - much more so than cloth, and better.

Your decision is made I guess but they are way more comfortable than N95.

Bonafide masks sells them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 03:11 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,798,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
KN95. Seriously, try it. I don't know if we're allowed to put commercial links here but I always get the Powecom KN95 and they are the most comfortable, IMO - much more so than cloth, and better.

I get my KN95 masks from the same place. They are great! But if kids aren't comfortable in them, then a surgical mask is better than most cloth masks.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:18 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
"Literally why?" Because the Kidd Rd interviewee indicated that they may have been exposed at a gathering over the holidays and wanted to see if they had it. Seems like sensible reason to get tested to me, and I took it at face value. You seem suspicious of them for some reason though, but it doesn't sound like they actually gave a lot of information which is understandable since it was just a little exchange with a reporter at a testing site.

Unless you omitted a whole bunch of stuff from your original post, you just seem to be speculating now about the circumstances surrounding their exposure and how they learned about it and what their plans are over the coming days and what their vaccination status is and if the people they may have had contact with were "unidentified" to them or not. You also seem to be assuming because they said they "heard" about it that they don't "know." But that doesn't make any sense because they wouldn't "know" if they hadn't "heard."

And "schools" came from me saying "I'd hope anyone planning on going back to work or school would have the sense to get tested as they did" meaning I hope people in general would do as the Kidd Rd person did and get tested after known exposure before going about their lives and going back to "school" and work. I'm pretty sure it's expected at this point.

Anecdotally, I will offer up that my friend's daughter tested positive at school one day and immediately started isolating. She was not symptomatic at the time but several days later did develop symptoms. Her positive test and subsequent isolating while she was still asymptomatic at least reduced the risk of her passing the virus along to others including some elderly relatives they were planning on visiting. Fortunately no one else in the family tested positive which may have happened anyway, or maybe not. But the testing didn't hurt.
there's a finite amount of tests, and near infinite demand right now. That's why appointments are slammed full for days, and you go wait in line - even with an appointment - for 2+ hours. Because there are folks that NEED to get tested, and then there are folks that WANT to get tested.

What are supposed to do for the 160K kids going back to school that some people say should get a test? That will tell them at that time, they were negative....even if they showed up to school 2 days later and were positive?

I gave every detail of the words the Kidd Rd tester gave that I could recall, and I've got pretty good recall. "I went to a big gathering over the holidays and I heard some tested positive".

When you know that you've had real exposure, of course it makes sense. If she had said "I went to a party on the 27th and the girl I talked to for 15 minutes texted me the next day saying she had Covid" is very different.

But if you've been in public with anything less than N95 since March 2020, you have been exposed. I went to a Canes game last week - I was surely exposed even though I and 95% of the else took their masks off as much as possible to eat, drink and yell.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Masks do work. The problem is people confuse "work" with "impregnable". Something that works 30-60% of the time still works...sixty percent of the time, it works every time. I think we all agree that seat belts and helmets work, but they aren't some invincibility cloak that will protect you from injury or death 100% of the time. I mean ****, if you get a hit in baseball 30% of the time there's a pretty good chance you're going to make bank.

Sadly we live in an all or nothing timeline (and its been this way at least as long as I have been alive, and I turn 39 in roughly 3 weeks). There is no room for nuance, Box A or B, Coke or Pepsi. We also live in a timeline where consensus is found with the lowest common denominator. It's a crappy combo in almost any circumstance.

The school board should be driven by what's in the best interest of the kids. And the best interests of the kids is learning in person from teachers and with their peers. Teachers were in Phase 1 of the Vaccine rollout for a friggin' reason, they're important. Society needs you do to your job. Everyone north of 5 (i.e. Kindergarten and older) is eligible for the vaccine and boosters in some cases.

COVID is here. COVID isn't going back into the box. That's the reality. The world we knew in January 2020 isn't ever coming back. Whatever the path forward to some adjusted normalcy, with some f***ing intelligence and common sense applied to it should rule the day.
help me out here with the math

is a cloth mask worth 5% protection 100% of the time or 100% protection 5% of the time, or ...egads ... 5% protection 5% of the time.

On schools ... I wonder how many sent their kids in Monday. I didn't. When I awoke at 6 am to help my HS Jr get ready, there was the NWS alert - "Flood warning, do not drive". By 7 am, our power went out, and of course some schools lost power.

And when she returned Tuesday, when the temps were still below 35 if not freezing before 11 am? One of her teachers had the window by her desk wide open as a Covid precaution. A respected teacher.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:50 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
help me out here with the math

is a cloth mask worth 5% protection 100% of the time or 100% protection 5% of the time, or ...egads ... 5% protection 5% of the time.

On schools ... I wonder how many sent their kids in Monday. I didn't. When I awoke at 6 am to help my HS Jr get ready, there was the NWS alert - "Flood warning, do not drive". By 7 am, our power went out, and of course some schools lost power.

And when she returned Tuesday, when the temps were still below 35 if not freezing before 11 am? One of her teachers had the window by her desk wide open as a Covid precaution. A respected teacher.
I’ll work backward.

My kids were both home Monday. My daughter has been home Tuesday and Today as we await her PCR results. At home test was negative Monday.

As for your math question, I admittedly am not following the line of thought leading to the question. So I’ll just repeat what I said to m378 for now and add more if you can help me follow your inquiry (because frankly it reads as a complete gotcha/bad faith question)

If masks (regardless of their average efficacy) are our only bullet to keeping kids in school here (there was a WSJ tweet as I type this that said “…More U.S. schools closed and went remote within the past few days than at any other time this academic year, leaving communities rushing to reorganize in the wake of often last minute decisions”) then I don’t really care about the squeeze, the juice (keeping in person going) is worth it to me.

Standing by for clarity on the maths

Old 01-05-2022, 03:57 PM

the math is self-deprecation, ergo the winkie. I'm assuming it's 5% protection 100% of the time.

And yes, if the school PTB's will only currently let them attend in-person with masks, then masks it is.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the math is self-deprecation, ergo the winkie. I'm assuming it's 5% protection 100% of the time.

And yes, if the school PTB's will only currently let them attend in-person with masks, then masks it is.
Ya the 5% number came from m378s link, which I opened, read the lede, and [homersimpsonbackingintobushes.gif] as quick as I could.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:03 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,343,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Masks do work. The problem is people confuse "work" with "impregnable". Something that works 30-60% of the time still works...sixty percent of the time, it works every time. I think we all agree that seat belts and helmets work, but they aren't some invincibility cloak that will protect you from injury or death 100% of the time. I mean ****, if you get a hit in baseball 30% of the time there's a pretty good chance you're going to make bank.

Sadly we live in an all or nothing timeline (and its been this way at least as long as I have been alive, and I turn 39 in roughly 3 weeks). There is no room for nuance, Box A or B, Coke or Pepsi. We also live in a timeline where consensus is found with the lowest common denominator. It's a crappy combo in almost any circumstance.

The school board should be driven by what's in the best interest of the kids. And the best interests of the kids is learning in person from teachers and with their peers. Teachers were in Phase 1 of the Vaccine rollout for a friggin' reason, they're important. Society needs you do to your job. Everyone north of 5 (i.e. Kindergarten and older) is eligible for the vaccine and boosters in some cases.

COVID is here. COVID isn't going back into the box. That's the reality. The world we knew in January 2020 isn't ever coming back. Whatever the path forward to some adjusted normalcy, with some f***ing intelligence and common sense applied to it should rule the day.
Yes to all of this!!! To answer a question you asked in another post, no the school board will not go back to virtual. They will close individual schools if there was a need but not the entire district.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Yes to all of this!!! To answer a question you asked in another post, no the school board will not go back to virtual. They will close individual schools if there was a need but not the entire district.
Interrrrrrressting….

Can they take that approach with snow days too

Old 01-05-2022, 04:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post

That is what I use and love them! Since there is space between my mouth and the mask it makes wearing one so easy. I always hated those other masks that smash up on your face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary