Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 04:19 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,633,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
That is what I use and love them! Since there is space between my mouth and the mask it makes wearing one so easy. I always hated those other masks that smash up on your face.
Yes! There's so much room! They fog up my glasses less, but still do. But MUCH less than cloth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 05:00 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,880,307 times
If I could back in time to when we all started wearing masks I would have got the KN95s way sooner. I did use some of the early cloth masks which I feel now are largely useless (I am of the any mask is better than no mask constituency).

While people much smarter than me say that those blue and white surgical masks are supposed to be good, I think they probably are for those few people whose faces they fit, which IME is some at best. I used them as a second mask under my then cloth masks when I had to fly or be in higher-risk situations. If I were to fly again I would do the same with the KN95s.

In other news, I still have yet to hear back from Mako / Lumina on either our results, or followup emails on our results. Their callback service never called back yesterday or today, and I've been on hold now of over 30 minutes, and I have no idea what hours they work. I'm experiencing concerning issues, and I need test results.

Next time, and soon, will try Wake again.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:04 PM

1,342 posts, read 734,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I gave every detail of the words the Kidd Rd tester gave that I could recall, and I've got pretty good recall. "I went to a big gathering over the holidays and I heard some tested positive".

When you know that you've had real exposure, of course it makes sense. If she had said "I went to a party on the 27th and the girl I talked to for 15 minutes texted me the next day saying she had Covid" is very different.
Except it would have been pretty weird if Kidd Rd person said "I went to a party on the 27th and the girl I talked to for 15 minutes texted me the next day saying she had Covid." No one gives that much random detail, especially to a reporter at a testing site..."on the 27th...for 15 minutes."

What they did say at least indicated possible exposure, and it may have even been what you deem "real exposure," so it really doesn't make for a good example of when not to test. I could see trying to make your case with the Zebulon person though.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Yes to all of this!!! To answer a question you asked in another post, no the school board will not go back to virtual. They will close individual schools if there was a need but not the entire district.
I think that's all any district in the state can do now, at least that's the way the district we're in presented it. It seems districts can only close specific classrooms and schools if needed, but not the entire district. I assume the state could still close schools down, but I don't see that happening.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I get my KN95 masks from the same place. They are great! But if kids aren't comfortable in them, then a surgical mask is better than most cloth masks.
We've found the KF94s to be the best of both worlds.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:47 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,946,661 times
DD had another exposure yesterday. Lawd they are just making up rules as they go along...it is really quite funny at this point.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:09 PM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
DD had another exposure yesterday. Lawd they are just making up rules as they go along...it is really quite funny at this point.
Still haven’t heard about our Daughters PCR test.

Wife called the school to say she would be out again. “oh you need to tell the teacher”. Emails teacher.

Teacher replies “oh tell the front desk about the COVID thing”. Calls front desk back. “Oh you need to tell the teacher”.

It’s borderline the “Shoulda Sent it Sooner” bit from Crank Yankers at this point

ETA - Hot off the presses….the PCR test confirmed what we already knew……weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited by GVoR; 01-05-2022 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-05-2022, 07:39 PM

13 posts, read 8,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The article I just posted said a recent study showed cloth masks reduced Covid cases by 5%.
This is NOT what that study said. If you are going to advocate for 'following the science' you should consider 'reading the science' not the abcnews summary.

In this study they gave out masks to villagers in some villages (different types) and encouraged them to wear them. (no mandates, no double blind controls, etc,)
Just handing out free masks and suggesting people wear them made the infection rates drop.
10% when the masks were 'surgical', 5% when they were cloth.
This is not the same as saying 'cloth masks work 5% of the time'

From the study (linked from your linked article):
We conducted a cluster-randomized trial to measure the effect of community-level mask
distribution and promotion on symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections in rural Bangladesh from
November 2020 to April 2021 (N = 600 villages, N = 342,183 adults). We cross-randomized
mask type (cloth vs. surgical) and promotion strategies at the village and household level.
Proper mask-wearing increased from 13.3% in the control group to 42.3% in the intervention
arm (adjusted percentage point difference = 0.29 [0.26, 0.31]). The intervention reduced symp-
tomatic seroprevalence (adjusted prevalence ratio (aPR) = 0.91 [0.82, 1.00]), especially among
adults 60+ years in villages where surgical masks were distributed (aPR = 0.65 [0.45, 0.85]).
Mask distribution and promotion was a scalable and effective method to reduce symptomatic
SARS-CoV-2 infections.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:51 PM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,268 times
Type pretty good for a dead guy…..some more for the laugh department. (FTR, I realize it’s a lampoon. And yes it’s sad that, what was not that long ago, the gold standard for our species’ Public Health Organizations, is worthy of it.)

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/sta...17020077531138

Old 01-05-2022, 07:53 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,311,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwink View Post
This is NOT what that study said. If you are going to advocate for 'following the science' you should consider 'reading the science' not the abcnews summary.

In this study they gave out masks to villagers in some villages (different types) and encouraged them to wear them. (no mandates, no double blind controls, etc,)
Just handing out free masks and suggesting people wear them made the infection rates drop.
10% when the masks were 'surgical', 5% when they were cloth.
This is not the same as saying 'cloth masks work 5% of the time'
Who said that?

If you're going to make claims about others not "reading the science", it would be helpful if you put in a little more effort than just copypasta-ing the abstract. What were the percentages of PROPER mask wearing across the population in the study (43%) versus <insert Triangle city/town here> that does not have a mask mandate?

ETA: I just looked at the study, and I will be the first to admit that it is nearly 100% Greek to me. So any summary you can provide in layman's terms would be appreciated.

Last edited by m378; 01-05-2022 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary