Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2022, 05:26 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,077,515 times

Advertisements

My PCP is of the fact-based opinion this is the herd immunity strain. Almost everyone is going to have it at some point until it burns itself out. As others have posted, this seems to be pretty minor if one is vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 09:21 AM

22,728 posts, read 36,946,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
My PCP is of the fact-based opinion this is the herd immunity strain. Almost everyone is going to have it at some point until it burns itself out. As others have posted, this seems to be pretty minor if one is vaccinated.
I have not heart that specific take but I've heard this is gonna be the strain that burns out. I know sooooo many people who have it or think they do but can't get a test.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:30 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,552,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post

maybe...your PCP reads this?:
https://www.statnews.com/2021/01/07/...cine-strength/

Old 01-07-2022, 11:38 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,880,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I have not heart that specific take but I've heard this is gonna be the strain that burns out. I know sooooo many people who have it or think they do but can't get a test.
Represent - never got our results from Mako and they so far have been unreachable. It's been a week. Will not go to anything that uses Mako/Lumina.

Wake is booked (from today) until Monday.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:03 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,311,958 times
https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/doz...d-19/20071559/

When oh when will we stop testing.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:15 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
67 out of a million tests? That’s what, .0067%? How is that even news?

As for your broader question, private institutions (be it colleges or workplaces) are going to keep going with this for awhile I’d guess

ETA - given the news about CitiGroup last week and their new policy…testing seems quaint

Old 01-10-2022, 10:40 AM

22,728 posts, read 36,946,661 times
Quote:
Colleges particularly private colleges are not gonna stop anytime soon.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:58 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,954,840 times
Quote:
Maybe when sick people stay home and stop spreading this thing. And if you are sick and have to go out ....wear a darn mask!

We saw so many people out yesterday clearly sick coughing away with no mask. If we come down with it in the next few days we know where we got it from. And I know what you will reply with...."but shouldn't your mask protect you???". It can help but it is not 100% effective. I had a guy in the aisle with me that came to where I was and coughed and sneezed right next to me. There are just way too many people that still don't give a darn about others and quite frankly it almost feels like they are purposely trying to be jerks about this virus.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:18 AM

374 posts, read 239,388 times
Quote:
I'm sick for the first time since the pandemic. Treating it just like any other virus, rest, fluids and staying at home.

Almost everyone I know has gotten sick in the last month or two. Vaccination status hasn't appeared to have any effect on that. It was always a fool's errand to assume that we could vaccinate or test our way out.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:24 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,311,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Maybe when sick people stay home and stop spreading this thing. And if you are sick and have to go out ....wear a darn mask!

We saw so many people out yesterday clearly sick coughing away with no mask. If we come down with it in the next few days we know where we got it from. And I know what you will reply with...."but shouldn't your mask protect you???". It can help but it is not 100% effective. I had a guy in the aisle with me that came to where I was and coughed and sneezed right next to me. There are just way too many people that still don't give a darn about others and quite frankly it almost feels like they are purposely trying to be jerks about this virus.
I'm sorry but you need to stop with this thinking - it's not healthy. I know it's hard after almost two years, but we have to do away with the paranoia that any cough, sneeze, or sniffle you hear means someone has covid and they're definitely infecting you. Humans cough and sneeze when they aren't sick. It happens. For some it happens a lot. I choose to trust these people - the vast majority of people are good about not going out or wearing a mask when sick. Yes as with anything you'll get bad apples, but I can assure you they aren't driving the spread of Covid. As I'm sure you know by now, Covid doesn't only spread via the symptomatic. With Omicron it may actually be the exact opposite, but who knows for sure.

And no, I won't reply with "but shouldn't your mask protect you???" because nobody has ever said that a mask gives the wearer much protection. The obsession over masks is getting old. We now know what many have assumed all along, that cloth masks offer zero outgoing protection with Omicron (and possibly past variants). Yet 90% of the people in public are still wearing cloth masks versus surgical or N95/KN95. Why? Because it makes them look like they're "doing the right thing" even though they know themselves that it's not doing diddly. Even the people I see wearing N95's, the fit is so terrible that again, it's doing absolutely nothing. If most of the people I see wearing N95's coughed or sneezed next to you, it would literally be no different than if they were unmasked. Those aerosols will just billow out of all those gaps and holes.

We've become a crazy, obsessed society over what now is a very minor illness for the vast vast vast majority of people. It's really no way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary