Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 07:24 AM

1,204 posts, read 779,308 times

Advertisements

If the rest of the Americans won't take the vaccine, I think it's time to start shipping it out to those who will. To be honest, these variants won't stop until we get the majority of the world vaccinated. I just read a whole article about the rise of child labor in the poorest parts of the world, because schools are now shut down. Free state provided meals aren't available, so kids are being burden to their families and are forced to work. My heart ached seeing the 11-15 year old kids literally mining precious metals, carrying heavy water and their spades, huge hammer and ****, and walking for miles to get to their job sites. Let their parents have that vaccine. Let them go back to work and let the kids go back to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 08:03 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
If the rest of the Americans won't take the vaccine, I think it's time to start shipping it out to those who will. To be honest, these variants won't stop until we get the majority of the world vaccinated. I just read a whole article about the rise of child labor in the poorest parts of the world, because schools are now shut down. Free state provided meals aren't available, so kids are being burden to their families and are forced to work. My heart ached seeing the 11-15 year old kids literally mining precious metals, carrying heavy water and their spades, huge hammer and ****, and walking for miles to get to their job sites. Let their parents have that vaccine. Let them go back to work and let the kids go back to school.
1. I agree we should help get the world vaccinated; we here are at risk as long as there are pools for mutation. I was reading an article/thread about Delta and its 5-8 R0. One epidemiologist was basically pointing out (paraphrasing) we have some tools that work in that kinda of environment. However if the next variant is a 12....we have nothing. Our isolation geographically as a country no longer protects us the way it did 150 years ago.

2. I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know given your life experience, but I would be mindful of applying "Western Eyes" to cultures/countries/populations that are simply at a different point in development than we are.

We are 2-3 generations (My grandparents generation for me) removed from kids dropping out of school to help on the farm (my great uncle dropped out of school in Chester IL in the 8th grade). Applying the expectation that "kids go to school" to say Indonesia (because that is what they do here) is more a noble hope than a reality in many cases.

When I lived in Jakarta, our live in staff pulled both their kids out of school in basically 1st grade because "we shouldn't pay for education if all they are going to be in a maid, driver, house guard". My mom (a deep believer in the ladder education provides) obviously objected and provided the funds to keep the kids in school.

TLDR, #FirstWorldProblemsSometimesDontExistInTheThirdWor ldBecauseTheyHaveTheirOwn

Old 07-26-2021, 08:29 AM

1,204 posts, read 779,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
1. I agree we should help get the world vaccinated; we here are at risk as long as there are pools for mutation. I was reading an article/thread about Delta and its 5-8 R0. One epidemiologist was basically pointing out (paraphrasing) we have some tools that work in that kinda of environment. However if the next variant is a 12....we have nothing. Our isolation geographically as a country no longer protects us the way it did 150 years ago.

2. I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know given your life experience, but I would be mindful of applying "Western Eyes" to cultures/countries/populations that are simply at a different point in development than we are.

We are 2-3 generations (My grandparents generation for me) removed from kids dropping out of school to help on the farm (my great uncle dropped out of school in Chester IL in the 8th grade). Applying the expectation that "kids go to school" to say Indonesia (because that is what they do here) is more a noble hope than a reality in many cases.

When I lived in Jakarta, our live in staff pulled both their kids out of school in basically 1st grade because "we shouldn't pay for education if all they are going to be in a maid, driver, house guard". My mom (a deep believer in the ladder education provides) obviously objected and provided the funds to keep the kids in school.

TLDR, #FirstWorldProblemsSometimesDontExistInTheThirdWor ldBecauseTheyHaveTheirOwn

I am not applying Western Eyes although I understand what you are saying. I'm a non-white person who grew up in a developing world and I know first hand what it means to be in school. This is especially true for girls. Schools usually provide immunization, food and most importantly they keep kids from going back to farms or selling **** in the markets to help their parents. For girls, schools help avoid very early arranged marriages. By staying in school they at least have a chance to not be forced into marriage at 15-16. At least some parents say, well, let her finish her schooling. At least then she is 17-18, and not popping out a child while being a child herself.

Privileged nations are having debates about vaccines, while the poor nations are going to get pushed further down. The feature I saw was a kid saying that they want to go back to school. I am not some white savior saying lets help the kids and send them vaccines. My own niece is doing online learning right now. It's terrible. Internet isn't reliable. There is no accountability. They send all the homework via Telegram group chat and expect parents to cover it if there are any internet connection issues. They are about to shut down everything again due to Delta variant. And, this is in a post soviet country with a decent economy and infrastructure, in huge city with about about 3-4 mil people. I can't imagine what's happening in countries with no infrastructure at all.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I am not applying Western Eyes although I understand what you are saying. I'm a non-white person who grew up in a developing world and I know first hand what it means to be in school. This is especially true for girls. Schools usually provide immunization, food and most importantly they keep kids from going back to farms or selling **** in the markets to help their parents. For girls, schools help avoid very early arranged marriages. By staying in school they at least have a chance to not be forced into marriage at 15-16. At least some parents say, well, let her finish her schooling. At least then she is 17-18, and not popping out a child while being a child herself.

Privileged nations are having debates about vaccines, while the poor nations are going to get pushed further down. The feature I saw was a kid saying that they want to go back to school. I am not some white savior saying lets help the kids and send them vaccines. My own niece is doing online learning right now. It's terrible. Internet isn't reliable. There is no accountability. They send all the homework via Telegram group chat and expect parents to cover it if there are any internet connection issues. They are about to shut down everything again due to Delta variant. And, this is in a post soviet country with a decent economy and infrastructure, in huge city with about about 3-4 mil people. I can't imagine what's happening in countries with no infrastructure at all.
I didn't mean Western in a racial context. I meant it in a "most of the world's developed countries are in the West" (i.e. only Japan, Korea, Oz/NZ, Turkey would fall outside of the Western Hemisphere; realizing that Europe is generally considered the West, but technically falls east of the Prime Meridian; thanks Cold War view of the world ).

I am not underestimating the impact a school provides in a less off country (truth be told, it provides many of the same essentials here in the richest country the species has ever seen). Believe me dude, I saw it first hand for 8 years in a country where the average person lived on less than $1000/yr. I get it. More than most.

Maybe the nuance to your point is lack of vaccines is exacerbating the gap, and I am sure it is. I agree. I would even agree that "if we're done here with the vaccines, ship em out. You had your chance Karen".

I just don't know that you're going to get a ton of buy in on the risk presenting it such a way, when the average American has a plate full of chit (real or imagined) to deal with rendering concerns of kids in a far away land largely irrelevant.

Last edited by GVoR; 07-26-2021 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-26-2021, 01:58 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times
Should be interesting to see how the rest of the summer and fall goes for events. Might start to see another wave soon which causes events to be cancelled because people could get their **** together and vaccinate themselves.

Downtown Raleigh food truck rodeo scheduled for August 1st was just cancelled:
https://www.facebook.com/DowntownRal...77037155775293

Reasons cited for those that can't view the link:
Quote:
Canceled - Aug 1st Food Truck Rodeo
- The Delta Covid Variant hit Raleigh last week.
- There are cases of Fully-Vaccinated people developing Mild Covid.
- It appears crazy contagious, even outdoors.
- Vaccination efforts are taking longer than expected.
- There are an unknown number of Fully-Vaccinated people infected with Delta, but showing no symptoms.
- No one is wearing masks outside at this time.
- We are not able to do temperature checks at this open event, so we have to assume that there could be highly contagious individuals in the crowd with the new Delta variant.

Because of the rapid surge of the Delta Variant, we will be looking to Sept 26th event date as the first event. This will ensure that we have time to take into account the new challenges.

Please let others know of the cancellation and to keep an eye out for Sept 26th. We are working on a limited budget which prevents paid promotion efforts.
For what it's worth, there are about 100+ replies to that facebook post and the majority of them are supportive and understanding.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:25 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Why doesn’t the state have a vaccinated versus unvaccinated metric of those in the hospital? Seems like a simple and very useful statistic.

Also a lot of focus in this thread has been on red state anti-vaxxers, but let’s not forget that over 25% of current hospitalizations in NC are in the African-American community. Only 36% of African-Americans have one dose. Some effort should also be put forth to calm the fears of that part of the population, instead of solely blaming red state anti-vaxxers.

Last edited by m378; 07-26-2021 at 06:02 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Why doesn’t the state have a vaccinated versus unvaccinated metric of those in the hospital? Seems like a simple and very useful statistic.

Also a lot of focus in this thread has been on red state anti-vaxxers, but let’s not forget that over 25% of current hospitalizations in NC are in the African-American community. Only 18% of African-Americans have one dose. Some effort should also be put forth to calm the fears of that part of the population, instead of solely blaming red state anti-vaxxers.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/61522998-post2144.html

Old 07-26-2021, 06:05 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Edited my post - I guess 36% of African-Americans are vaccinated here in NC. Either way it's pretty low - the dashboard is super confusing.

Any GVoR I did remember you mentioning demographics, but much of the comments here are directed toward white anti-vaxxers I think. Maybe just because of the back and forth with Starglow.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
I watch the county based data on a daily basis through the NYT website. I think that same map is actually available through local websites as well. In any case, I have noticed that the data hasn't really moved in a good while. Does the state anyone know if the state is dumping data daily or holding back & just doing it periodically?

Old 07-27-2021, 04:48 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Ok, buy my question was if someone hasn't gotten both does of their vaccine are they considered partially vaccinated or unvaccinated? For people that are in between doses.

Got it, sorry. The hospital considers people with 2 doses as "vaccinated." Having only 1 dose does not count in this statistic. So if you are admitted for COVID-19 breathing issues and only got the 1st shot so far, you be counted as UN-VACCINATED, unless you got the 1-shot J&J.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary