Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2021, 06:39 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
So are you going to provide a link or should we take a FB post on its face value?! Also there is no official diagnosis, but they are tying it to the vaccine shot anyway? Do you see how many red flags are here for me to take this seriously? Give me the official link - let me read it.

that is from a personal friend here in the Triangle on Facebook.

edit to add: There wasn't any disbelief when I related the story in mid-May when it first happened, and I had concerns about vaxxing my 16 yr old.

Last edited by BoBromhal; 07-24-2021 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Yes. Yes he does. And a girl dad to boot.
by the way, my youngest is fully-vaxxed now. It was 5 weeks on, so I hope it's just as effective, and she only had the typical arm soreness and a single fever knocked out with ibuprofen.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:42 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
by the way, my youngest is fully-vaxxed now. It was 5 weeks on, so I hope it's just as effective, and she only had the typical arm soreness and a single fever knocked out with ibuprofen.
Glad to hear she didn’t experience anything beyond the “normal” day of stuff.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear she didn’t experience anything beyond the “normal” day of stuff.
thank you.

I hope everyone that is eligible to get vaxxed does.

I think it's crystal clear that there are far fewer negative effects from getting the vaccine than from choosing/refusing not to and contracting Covid in any of its variants.

I hope all adults that have hesitations or concerns can reach the decision to join the rest of us and get vaccinated.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:08 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Quote:
Yes. Yes he does. And a girl dad to boot.
Ugh.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Yep, she finished her residency in June '19. She's smarter than I am, and she knows many multiples more about medicine than I do.

I also said "most likely", not that I'm calling her a liar.

This is not the Mad Men era and you are way too young to be dismissing a female physician as some "young lady" with questionable credibility. I mean, really.

Not having this conversation with you any further, that was a red line.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:12 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times
Quote:
thank you.

I hope everyone that is eligible to get vaxxed does.

I think it's crystal clear that there are far fewer negative effects from getting the vaccine than from choosing/refusing not to and contracting Covid in any of its variants.

I hope all adults that have hesitations or concerns can reach the decision to join the rest of us and get vaccinated.
I was watching a Frank Luntz focus group yesterday. Frank is arguably the “best” Republican focus group/pollster; his research is generally highly regarded.

Anyway the focus group was vax hesitant GOP voters and a doctor. The doctor made a good point I hadn’t really considered.

On the topic of “long term risks” (as a reason for hesitancy) the doc said “vaccines aren’t like drugs, where long term side effects can take a long time to manifest (like organ damage from sustained use of a a drug). Vaccine side effects would be seen rather quickly based on what vaccines are, and we aren’t seeing that”. I mean we don’t hear any stories about the vaccines we all mostly get throughout our lives causing problems later in our lives (unless you’re Jenny McCarthy)

Whether it’s the issues we saw with women, or the issues we’ve seen with late teens or the GBS stuff, it is happening at such a lower incidence rate (less than one in a million in many cases; especially the GBS rate) that it’s really proving (from an efficacy v AE construct) that there really isn’t a there, there.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I was watching a Frank Luntz focus group yesterday. Frank is arguably the “best” Republican focus group/pollster; his research is generally highly regarded.

Anyway the focus group was vax hesitant GOP voters and a doctor. The doctor made a good point I hadn’t really considered.

On the topic of “long term risks” (as a reason for hesitancy) the doc said “vaccines aren’t like drugs, where long term side effects can take a long time to manifest (like organ damage from sustained use of a a drug). Vaccine side effects would be seen rather quickly based on what vaccines are, and we aren’t seeing that”. I mean we don’t hear any stories about the vaccines we all mostly get throughout our lives causing problems later in our lives (unless you’re Jenny McCarthy)

Whether it’s the issues we saw with women, or the issues we’ve seen with late teens or the GBS stuff, it is happening at such a lower incidence rate (less than one in a million in many cases; especially the GBS rate) that it’s really proving (from an efficacy v AE construct) that there really isn’t a there, there.
and I'm sure positioning it that way would convince a large % of the hesitant.

"These are all the vaccines most people have taken in their lives. When there were adverse effects, here was the %, and they occurred within 10 days of receiving the vaccine. No [or maybe only 1%?] adverse issues occurred a year later. After 6 months, here's what we know"*

I said it a week ago - you catch more flies with honey. Calling these people idiots ain't getting them over to the other side.

*And I have personally paid little attention to VAERS(?) - but it does sound like better reporting/fact-gathering would help assuage some people's concerns about transparency.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
This is not the Mad Men era and you are way too young to be dismissing a female physician as some "young lady" with questionable credibility. I mean, really.

Not having this conversation with you any further, that was a red line.
You're right, I shouldn't have called her a "young lady". It was a descriptor, not a pejorative. I apologize.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
You're right, I shouldn't have called her a "young lady". It was a descriptor, not a pejorative. I apologize.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary