Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2021, 07:58 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I think it's also fair to say that over exaggerated finger pointing posts like this one have now been shown to be inaccurate data.
Fair. But my posts are as finger pointy as anyone’s, so who am I to judge. Ninja snark.

As for the number I think there is some nuance to it.

FN reported it as “99% of people dying from COVID are unvaccinated”. I don’t have the official numbers handy but it seems, generally speaking there is a stat that reads like the following ad-lib (and perhaps both are accurate)

97/99% of people being hospitalized/dying from COVID are unvaccinated.

Either combination you pick, that far outpaces what it should be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 08:43 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,883,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
The article also says this?:

Since vaccines began being administered in North Carolina on Dec. 14, more than 580,000 people have tested positive for coronavirus, so breakthrough cases are less than 1 percent of the state's total. Similarly, people who have died from breakthrough infections are less than 1 percent of the 13,535 coronavirus-related deaths reported in North Carolina to date.
That wasn't the point. I see vaccinated people in here continually boasting about going out to restaurants and other public places without wearing masks and acting like they have some super power immunity from COVID and then shaming the unvaccinated claiming that everyone in the hospital or dying with COVID is not vaccinated, which simply isn't true. Perhaps we let our guard down a little too fast in fully trusting the vaccines for protection against the variants??

The bottom line is nobody has full immunity from COVID. Nobody.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:10 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
"The people that are unvaccinated, they're likely to be infected with this variant." - Dr. Sanjay Gupta, explaining that the Delta variant leaves a higher viral load than other variants did.

Is it worth it? Nearly all of the people in the hospital with COVID are unvaccinated.

I personally wouldn't want to behave in such a way that is likely to put me in the hospital. I wear my seat belt and I don't drive off cliffs, either.

Even if you're fine after the hospital stay, your wallet won't be.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:45 AM

598 posts, read 333,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I personally wouldn't want to behave in such a way that is likely to put me in the hospital. I wear my seat belt and I don't drive off cliffs, either.
"Yeah, but you could still die in a car accident so why bother trying to be safe at all?"
Remember when mask mandates were first coming out, and these people were arguing that you shouldn't bother to wear a mask because you could still get infected, because masks aren't perfect? Same deal. I don't understand the logic there, personally, but I guess it works on some people.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
"Yeah, but you could still die in a car accident so why bother trying to be safe at all?"
Remember when mask mandates were first coming out, and these people were arguing that you shouldn't bother to wear a mask because you could still get infected, because masks aren't perfect? Same deal. I don't understand the logic there, personally, but I guess it works on some people.
Yup.

I just saw someone on twitter, a notorious misinformation spreader in NJ who has a following despite no qualifications, claim that NOW everyone is worried about long COVID.

No, that's not happening just now. It was always the case. But antimaskers like this person still make it all about the deaths. It was never just about the deaths.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Been thinking about this too.

In a year an a half, its in many ways been a discussion of nothing about risk percentages. Masks are only X% effective, so I am not going to wear one. Vaccines are only Y% effective, so I'm not going to get it. I only have A% chance of serious illness and A/10% risk of death.

It tells me that, generally speaking, that it really never was about any of it. It was just a way to throw up your hands and have something to to point to to explain it all away.

Seatbelts, helmets, BC, chemotherapy, surgeries, sunscreen etc etc etc. None of these things are 100% certain at what they do....yet you never hear someone go "Ya, I have cancer and need chemo, but I'll skip it because it has only a X% chance of curing me".

Old 07-21-2021, 07:19 AM

1,462 posts, read 660,563 times
Starglow:

We will never know in the South how FULLY effective the vaccines could have been because not enough people have been vaccinated and/or worn masks to stop the spread of the variants. The whole point of enough people getting the vaccines was to stop the variants like the Delta variant (which is a mutation of the virus and the vaccines were not in trials with them because at the time these variants didn't exist) from taking hold. The Delta variant now accounts for 80% of the covid infections.

Your post actually supports the predictions of all the medical experts. Not enough get vaccinated=breakthrough infections for the vaccinated because the variants can now take hold. Um....kinda no surprise here.

Hence the advice of all the "smarty pants" to get the population vaccinated. This was all predicted months ago. So the take away isn't that the vaccines are not 100% foolproof (no one said that) but that only bad things happen with viruses and mutations if not enough people get the vaccine. And it negatively impacts the effectiveness of the vaccine against a variant that did not exist at the time of the vaccine development.

Last edited by Shallow Hal; 07-21-2021 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-21-2021, 07:32 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Starglow:

We will never know in the South how FULLY effective the vaccines could have been because not enough people have been vaccinated and/or worn masks to stop the spread of the variants. The whole point of enough people getting the vaccines was to stop the variants like the Delta variant (which is a mutation of the virus and the vaccines were not in trials with them because at the time these variants didn't exist) from taking hold. The Delta variant now accounts for 80% of the covid infections.

Your post actually supports the predictions of all the medical experts. Not enough get vaccinated=breakthrough infections for the vaccinated because the variants can now take hold. Um....kinda no surprise here.

Hence the advice of all the "smarty pants" to get the population vaccinated. This was all predicted months ago. So the take away isn't that the vaccines are not 100% foolproof (no one said that) but that only bad things happen with viruses and mutations if not enough people get the vaccine.
It's not a north/south thing. NC has a vaccination rate similar or higher to several northern states. PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, etc. Even some of the New England area states are not drastically higher. I think if you go into rural MA, NH, New York, etc, you'll see similar vaccination rates to rural NC.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's not a north/south thing. NC has a vaccination rate similar or higher to several northern states. PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, etc. Even some of the New England area states are not drastically higher. I think if you go into rural MA, NH, New York, etc, you'll see similar vaccination rates to rural NC.
I'd argue, as I did a page or two back. It isn't North/South geography wise. Its more Blue/Red.

To your point, Eastern MA (Blue) outpaces Central/far Western MA (Red).

NYC/Westchester/Dutchess (Blue) outpaces Upstate (Red)

PA - Two Blue cities/their burbs separated by Kentucky. People call it Pennsyltucky for a reason.
OH - Red and not coming back to Blue state
IN - About as Red as it gets
IL - Only really Blue in Chi-Town/Northern IL. Southern IL (my dad's family is still there) may as well be Alabama.
NH - Other than the denser populated "Norther Boston Burbs" in the southern part of the state, is Red
MI - At best purple.

Whether you look at the county vote/vaccinate rate graph I shared two pages ago or if you overlay a State vaccination percentage map with the Electoral College results....it's pretty clear whats going on here.

ETA - Saving people the time of searching, here are the two maps I mention in my last line
Attached Thumbnails
COVID-19 in the Triangle: No Politics, Read the Rules Before Posting-ec-map.jpg   COVID-19 in the Triangle: No Politics, Read the Rules Before Posting-vax-map.jpg  

Last edited by GVoR; 07-21-2021 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-21-2021, 08:36 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,883,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Seatbelts, helmets, BC, chemotherapy, surgeries, sunscreen etc etc etc. None of these things are 100% certain at what they do....yet you never hear someone go "Ya, I have cancer and need chemo, but I'll skip it because it has only a X% chance of curing me".
Actually it is quite common for cancer patients to opt out of chemo therapy because they know it will just prolong the inevitable and would rather not suffer through the treatments. My former neighbor had lung cancer and refused chemo because he was 83 years old. He said goodbye to his family and that was it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary