Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 02:29 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times

Advertisements

The U.S. federal government (or state) cannot force a citizen to get a vaccine. And Medicare/Medicaid, as government programs, cannot force a member to get a vaccine.

(Note: that does not preclude an employer requiring an employee be vaccinated or provide proof of a negative Covid test).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 02:34 PM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
I disagree with the posters who want to shut down the vaccine discussion with Starglow. A lot of us were right where Starglow is right now a few months back. Who was truthfully thrilled at first with getting the vaccine? I'll speak for myself. I wasn't.

Starglow has not been rude or hostile or dismissive. Her opinion is not mine. She has a different opinion. Granted it's a dangerous one to herself and the rest of us. That is just a fact. But,as I said in a previous post, she does keep coming back and she willingly engages in discourse with those whose opinions she does not share.

IMO being in discussion about vaccines is important. Maybe some other person who is less apt to post than Starglow will start to look at things differently. I dunno.

I have been gently reminded by others that I have the mistaken notion that I think I can approach almost any problem and "fix things." Europeans have said that is a very American attitude. That our optimism is totally unwarranted. They may be right. But I sure hope not.

Last edited by Shallow Hal; 07-23-2021 at 02:55 PM..

Old 07-23-2021, 02:54 PM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
NC is one of the few states who has not expanded Medicaid.(during a global pandemic with additional incentives by the feds no less) Sorry, this is not fiscal responsibility folks.

People who are poor and in the rural areas do not have access to medical care. Adequate or otherwise. Can't afford to travel. You get diabetes? Can't afford insulin so you die.

Their local pharmacy is their doctor. The push now is to shift a lot of the vaccines to pharmacies in the rural areas with the hope they can provide that service to a population without access to medical care.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:55 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,056,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I disagree with the posters who want to shut down the vaccine discussion with Starglow. A lot of us were right where Starglow is right now a few months back. Who was truthfully thrilled at first with getting the vaccine? I'll speak for myself. I wasn't.

Starglow has not been rude or hostile or dismissive. Her opinion is not mine. She has a different opinion. Granted it's a dangerous one to herself and the rest of us. That is just a fact. But,as I said in a previous post, she does keep coming back and she willingly engages in discourse with those whose opinions she does not share.

IMO being in discussion about vaccines is important. Maybe some other person who is less apt to post than Starglow will start to look at things differently. I dunno.

I have been gently reminded by others who very much care about me that I have the mistaken notion that I think I can approach almost any problem and "fix things." Europeans have said that is a very American attitude. That our optimism is totally unwarranted. They may be right. But I sure hope not.
Just speaking for myself.

1. I agree with keeping the discussion going. I think hearing each other out is all part of a broader process that can only benefit us collectively long and short term. Sure it’s unlikely anyone here will change their minds on this (and many other subjects). But the dialogue has been generally high quality from my seat.

2. I personally had no hesitation to getting it. I would have got it earlier if I could have. But I’ve been vaccinated against almost ten things the average American hasn’t so I’ve not been a vax hesitant person now or in my past. I realize this is new technology, but it didn’t come together in the timeframe most associate with it.

3. My favorite post in the last few pages was m378 walking us through their decision process. I agree with very little shared by them, but I appreciate the logic shared as is allows me, even in potential disagreement, to understand the thought and care that went into it.

I obviously prefer that to an Eric Clapton type approach where a guy that spent decades pumping his veins full of heroin is now anti this vax because of unknown risks. Brah, your nickname should be “Unknown Risks†rather than “Slow handâ€

Old 07-23-2021, 03:34 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
I just read that UNC Health and Duke Health will require all of their staff to get the vaccine (by Tuesday, September 21 for UNC staff). Currently, 72% of UNC Health is vaccinated.

Source: Chapelboro News

Old 07-23-2021, 04:16 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post

I have been gently reminded by others that I have the mistaken notion that I think I can approach almost any problem and "fix things." Europeans have said that is a very American attitude. That our optimism is totally unwarranted. They may be right. But I sure hope not.
Discussion is fine, fear mongering and spreading misinformation about the vaccines is not ok. Starglow claimed that people are having long term debilitating effects from vaccines that MDs are having trouble treating. When asked for sources for these claims, they provided none but proceeded to bait others on here with circular discussions. It is not a productive conversation just someone amusing themselves buy trying to rattle others chains, to use Starglow's own words.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:38 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Thrilled about needing a vaccine? No, of course not.

Thankful 3 vaccines were developed and allowed to be distributed in the U.S.? Absolutely.

Generally-speaking, after full immunity has been achieved, we haven't seen or heard about complications occurring. All traces of mRNA would have been removed by the body before then.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:41 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
I like discussing but I don't have the energy to keep trying to convince. Except that I probably will still try. I'm sitting here today wondering if the 12 members of my family who are in the evangelical cult in CA and OR will die of COVID and who will go first.

I could not wait to get the vaccine, was 100% all in from the beginning, but I work in research and know the safety steps taken.

Children under 12 cannot make the choice to get vaccinated or not. Remaining unvaccinated can kill them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	beans.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	230842

Old 07-23-2021, 05:19 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Discussion is fine, fear mongering and spreading misinformation about the vaccines is not ok. Starglow claimed that people are having long term debilitating effects from vaccines that MDs are having trouble treating. When asked for sources for these claims, they provided none but proceeded to bait others on here with circular discussions. It is not a productive conversation just someone amusing themselves buy trying to rattle others chains, to use Starglow's own words.
You can do your own research if you want "proof" because it's easy to find and you wouldn't believe anything I post here anyway, so why bother. It's easier to just keep your head buried in the sand in denial when vaccine injury doesn't affect you personally.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:23 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
You can do your own research if you want "proof" because it's easy to find and you wouldn't believe anything I post here anyway, so why bother. It's easier to just keep your head buried in the sand in denial when vaccine injury doesn't affect you personally.
That is always your answer when pressed for evidence "you would not believe it". You made the statement, you post the proof or just admit that you are making baseless claims and fear mongering.

Last edited by Sal_M; 07-23-2021 at 07:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary