Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2022, 11:50 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,510,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
I'm sick for the first time since the pandemic. Treating it just like any other virus, rest, fluids and staying at home.

Almost everyone I know has gotten sick in the last month or two. Vaccination status hasn't appeared to have any effect on that. It was always a fool's errand to assume that we could vaccinate or test our way out.
Same! My wife and I haven't had so much as a cold since March 2020...but now my wife is down for the count with a rough one, and I feel mine starting to...start. My department at work has 2 people out sick today, and had 1 out all last week. None of it is covid- everyone, including myself and my wife, have tested negative. But it sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 12:12 PM

2,219 posts, read 2,945,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I know it's hard after almost two years, but we have to do away with the paranoia that any cough, sneeze, or sniffle you hear means someone has covid and they're definitely infecting you. Humans cough and sneeze when they aren't sick. .
Like I have said before.....I don't care if it's Covid, the flu, a cold or whatever. These people I saw were clearly sick. And a decent human either walks away or turns away when they sneeze. This jerk did not. That is my whole point.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:17 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,735,161 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but you need to stop with this thinking - it's not healthy. I know it's hard after almost two years, but we have to do away with the paranoia that any cough, sneeze, or sniffle you hear means someone has covid and they're definitely infecting you. Humans cough and sneeze when they aren't sick. It happens. For some it happens a lot. I choose to trust these people - the vast majority of people are good about not going out or wearing a mask when sick. Yes as with anything you'll get bad apples, but I can assure you they aren't driving the spread of Covid. As I'm sure you know by now, Covid doesn't only spread via the symptomatic. With Omicron it may actually be the exact opposite, but who knows for sure.
Nah fam I'm not going to stop avoiding people who cough, sneeze, or secrete their fluids everywhere. COVID aside I don't want whatever plague is brewing in their body. You may choose to trust those people but modern society shows that those people really don't give a crap about exposing others to anything.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:23 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,287,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Nah fam I'm not going to stop avoiding people who cough, sneeze, or secrete their fluids everywhere. COVID aside I don't want whatever plague is brewing in their body. You may choose to trust those people but modern society shows that those people really don't give a crap about exposing others to anything.
Avoiding them is fine, but blaming every person that sneezes or coughs for the spread and continuation of Covid is pretty absurd.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Like I have said before.....I don't care if it's Covid, the flu, a cold or whatever. These people I saw were clearly sick. And a decent human either walks away or turns away when they sneeze. This jerk did not. That is my whole point.
How on earth do you know they were sick? You don't - you're making assumptions. Assumptions that you never ever would have made prior to 2020.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:25 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,547,427 times

source: https://healthtalk.unchealthcare.org...nus-infection/

quote:
To help prevent sinus infections, COVID-19 and other respiratory infections, wear a mask in indoor public places and in a crowd whether you’re indoors or outdoors. Wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your nose, mouth or eyes. If you’re not vaccinated for COVID-19 and the flu, do so right away to reduce your chances of getting sick and spreading these infections to others.

more: https://www.the-sun.com/health/44252...ots-sage-list/

Old 01-10-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post

source: https://healthtalk.unchealthcare.org...nus-infection/

quote:
To help prevent sinus infections, COVID-19 and other respiratory infections, wear a mask in indoor public places and in a crowd whether you’re indoors or outdoors. Wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your nose, mouth or eyes. If you’re not vaccinated for COVID-19 and the flu, do so right away to reduce your chances of getting sick and spreading these infections to others.

more: https://www.the-sun.com/health/44252...ots-sage-list/
That chart and quote is from over a year ago. Much has changed (including the symptoms), but yeah the general idea is there. Wear a propertly fitted N95-style mask if you're going to be inside with a large group of people in a small area without ventilation for an extended period of time.

Last edited by m378; 01-10-2022 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-10-2022, 03:05 PM

1,330 posts, read 726,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Like I have said before.....I don't care if it's Covid, the flu, a cold or whatever. These people I saw were clearly sick. And a decent human either walks away or turns away when they sneeze.
And covers too! Elmo has been giving this advice since my kids were little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG4hX8TEkAA

Old 01-10-2022, 03:13 PM

The feds will be paying for up to 8 home Covid tests per person. Sigh. That's an additional 20+ BILLION dollars being spent on testing, on top of the 21 billion already spent! Absolutely crazy.

Why don't they buy every American 8 N95 masks, and set up fitting sites? Why don't they put that money toward treating those that have severe Covid?

Old 01-10-2022, 03:38 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,907 times
Quote:
The feds will be paying for up to 8 home Covid tests per person. Sigh. That's an additional 20+ BILLION dollars being spent on testing, on top of the 21 billion already spent! Absolutely crazy.

Why don't they buy every American 8 N95 masks, and set up fitting sites? Why don't they put that money toward treating those that have severe Covid?

While I would like to hear the rational behind the decision, $40B accounts for what, 2% of the discretionary budget? And like .6% of the whole budget? That figure would keep the Pentagon open and in business for 20 days.

Yes that is a crap ton of money....but the scale of things, in this context, are tough to conceptualize. As I tell my sister; a million seconds is 11 days. A billion seconds is 31 years. A trillion seconds is 32,000 years.

$40B, as a percentage of GDP, is .2%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary