Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2022, 01:56 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,946,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

Burning "good will" on this now will have consequences later, if the situation changes.
Agree.

This wasn't "THE" pandemic, although I think some people hoped it would be. If THE pandemic comes during our lifetime, it's going to get off to a REAL rocky start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 08:18 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,311,958 times
WCPSS board voted again (8-0) to extend the mask mandate in schools. Nobody can give any sort of guidelines or thresholds as to when that will ever change.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:50 PM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
WCPSS board voted again (8-0) to extend the mask mandate in schools. Nobody can give any sort of guidelines or thresholds as to when that will ever change.
He only rational I could offer is what are vax rates for kids in the county (I don’t have them handy at the moment but anecdotally around my neck of the woods, it’s maybe 25%)

Old 02-02-2022, 09:01 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,954,840 times
I think most people are going to do what they want to do now regardless of whether or not there is a mask mandate in their city/county. Schools and medical facilities (and of course gov transportation) would be the only places where I would assume most would mask up even if reluctantly.

IMO the schools are continuing the mandate because they fear more teachers (and other school employees) might leave if it is lifted. I have heard many teachers say this. They are already short staffed so the BOE doesn't want to do anything that might make the shortages even worse. Maybe when the vax rate is higher for children (like GVoR stated) school personnel might be more comfortable with eliminating masks.

I'm just glad my children are adults now because the decision of daily (all day) mask use and giving a 5 year old this vaccination would weigh heavily on me. And I am a very pro mask person in general and have had my vaccinations. So I feel for all of you that have small children!

Old 02-02-2022, 09:09 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,077,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I think most people are going to do what they want to do now regardless of whether or not there is a mask mandate in their city/county. Schools and medical facilities (and of course gov transportation) would be the only places where I would assume most would mask up even if reluctantly.

IMO the schools are continuing the mandate because they fear more teachers (and other school employees) might leave if it is lifted. I have heard many teachers say this. They are already short staffed so the BOE doesn't want to do anything that might make the shortages even worse. Maybe when the vax rate is higher for children (like GVoR stated) school personnel might be more comfortable with eliminating masks.

I'm just glad my children are adults now because the decision of daily (all day) mask use and giving a 5 year old this vaccination would weigh heavily on me. And I am a very pro mask person in general and have had my vaccinations. So I feel for all of you that have small children!
Could not agree more. I think with masks, it”s now more around “it makes those who feel uncomfortable without masks more comfortable if others wear them”. I certainly don’t feel like it’s for any real, quantifiable safety or preventative reasons. Also, the adverse affects that might accompany wearing masks for kids, both socially and for learning, can’t be quantified in any way, so they’re dismissed. No one is going to sue the school district because little Johnny can’t understand the teacher or classmates as clearly with a mask.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:17 AM

1,342 posts, read 734,449 times
It was made clear in the meeting that the Wake board had specific goals that had to be met before they could consider removing the mask requirement including a vaccination rate of 70+%, a decline in positive case over a 28 day period, and a 7 day average of 10 cases or less per 100,000.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 02-02-2022 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2022, 09:28 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,311,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
It was made clear in the meeting that the Wake board had specific goals that had to be met before they could consider removing the mask requirement including a vaccination rate of 70+%, a decline in positive case over a 28 day period, and a 7 day average of 10 cases or less per 100,000.
Lol. You realize 10 cases per 100,000 is completely impossible right? Especially if we continue with the absurd amount of testing we do now.

That is not a plan.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:33 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
They're never going to get to any of those metrics outside of the positive case decrease (at least until the next wave with yet to be named variant. My vote is we call it Gregorny)

Old 02-02-2022, 09:49 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,747,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
IMO the schools are continuing the mandate because they fear more teachers (and other school employees) might leave if it is lifted.
My neighbor is like that. She's a teacher and about 95% of her class has had it at some point. The **** she has to deal with from parents is borderline psychotic. She's somehow avoided Covid herself so far but has gone from a very bright, chipper, and energetic educator a few years ago to now a pretty much "**** it all" / depressed person. She's probably about one more stupid conversation away from quitting.

It really is a shame how we treat those we trust with our children. Then how some people rail against them, like they know better and treat them like they're some kind of daycare service.

Just makes me sad overall. She's such a wonderful human and selfish idiots have basically crushed her love / good will to others.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:50 AM

1,342 posts, read 734,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Lol. You realize 10 cases per 100,000 is completely impossible right? Especially if we continue with the absurd amount of testing we do now.

That is not a plan.
I didn't give my opinion on the goals just said they do indeed have goals, and they're based on NCDHHS and CDC guidance.

One of the board members made the point that the below 10 per 100,000 goal hasn't been met since the beginning of the pandemic and suggested looking at other criteria. It sounded like they'll be discussing that possibility since they have that option now.

For what it's worth, most districts in the state still have a mask requirement, and Wake's requirement isn't the most restrictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary