Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2022, 09:31 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,270,754 times

Advertisements

for generations, it was "adults protect the children". I don't know why it's suddenly "children have to protect the adults".

In "free FL" or "reckless FL", however you want to look at it, the death rate for minors is 0.005%.

In NC, it's 0.003%. That difference, over the entirety of the pandemic, would mean exactly 1 more death of a child in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 09:33 AM

1,342 posts, read 732,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
The 2-4 year old masking was really an insane proposal, not backed by any sort of data or science. It was literally sold as "preparing" the kids for several more years of mask wearing. It was just insane, and two board members STILL voted in favor of it.
If you watch that section of the meeting which I posted earlier, you will see that's simply not true. The proposal was based on increased pediatric cases and an effort to possibly reduce quarantines. The discussion supposedly about "preparing" kids to wear masks was an aside about expectations for kids that age and how staff approached the issue.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:37 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,303,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
If you watched that section of the meeting which I posted earlier, you will see that's simply not true. The proposal was based on increasing pediatric cases and an effort to possibly reduce quarantines. The discussion supposedly about "preparing" kids to wear masks was an aside about expectations for kids that age and how staff approached the issue.
There was nothing pulled out of context - he said what he said.

Number of cases are meaningless - how you don't realize this by now, I don't know. The way to stop quarantines is to stop testing. Meanwhile, WCPSS is just now implementing pool testing at schools, 2 years into this, when we're at the point where the virus is literally a mild cold for kids.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:43 AM

I thought Wake had now said any quarantining/missing school for exposure was for only the symptomatic kids?

Old 02-08-2022, 09:50 AM

1,342 posts, read 732,332 times
Quote:
There was nothing pulled out of context - he said what he said.
Did you watch the discussion? I really don't see how you could have and still come to that conclusion. Whatever the case though, the entire discussion is on record, so the truth is available.

Quote:
Number of cases are meaningless - how you don't realize this by now, I don't know. The way to stop quarantines is to stop testing. Meanwhile, WCPSS is just now implementing pool testing at schools, 2 years into this, when we're at the point where the virus is literally a mild cold for kids.
I stated what was discussed. You're conflating me stating a fact with me having an opinion on that fact.

I'm going to go eat lunch now and stop procrastinating. Peace out.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Did you watch the discussion? I really don't see how you could have and still come to that conclusion. Whatever the case though, the entire discussion is on record, so the truth is available.

I stated what was discussed. You're conflating me stating a fact with me having an opinion on that fact.

I'm going to go eat lunch now and stop procrastinating. Peace out.
Yes - I watch every board meeting and work session. I watched them long before March 2020 as well.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:41 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Quote:
My point is the board refuses to take any responsibility themselves, and always deflects to the state if it fits their agenda. The 2-4 year old masking was really an insane proposal, not backed by any sort of data or science. It was literally sold as "preparing" the kids for several more years of mask wearing. It was just insane, and two board members STILL voted in favor of it.

Masks we'll be optional in Wake schools by November, you can be sure of that.
My bet is they make masks be optional in the next 2 months. I have no inside knowledge just my opinion.

Now as far as the board taking responsibility for themselves, that is a BS claim. They were elected to oversee a school district not create healthcare protocols and infection control procedures and I would not want them creating either without outside help from the State/medical professionals. The GA placed the masking issue local school boards this year while stripping power from Cooper. It has made this issue demand so much time and energy it is a disservice to our students and it has made board meetings here contentious, hostile and threatening. Attend in person if you doubt this. This has happened in other areas were school boards are voting on masking, not just Wake.

Yes, the board relies on the toolkit and ABC Science collaborative recommendations because both come from professionals in the medical field who are qualified to make these recommendations, not Joe know it all on Facebook. Wake has been middle of the road as far as masks go if you look at the masking rules in the area and around the country. The biggest thing that has changed recently is that more people have a DGAF attitude toward COVID and that alone is not enough reason for the board to lift the mandate.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:59 AM

out of what, 200 schools?, there are 3 current outbreaks, all HS, and they total 15 cases. Plus the Wendell Falls charter has 14. And I believe this is consistent with 3 weeks or so ago?

Is it wrong to expect the School Board to look at what's going on in the schools? To consider whether the non-mandate towns then have outbreaks in the schools? To note that of the 3 HS's, 2 are in non-mask locales (Heritage & Apex), but the cases aren't higher than the Raleigh HS - Athens Dr?

Similarly, is it wrong to expect the County Commissioners and City Council to look at the data that is particular to the given areas and determine the necessity of restrictions?

Old 02-08-2022, 02:13 PM

428 posts, read 226,147 times
Quote:
Correct, but Wake refuses to do anything except follow the NCDHHS toolkit, so while it's the county's choice, that's not the case in Wake. They won't do anything until the toolkit changes, which is written by the state. The state needs to step up and make the change, or the county needs to ignore the old, outdated, non-scientific guidance.
Go figure. The Wake School Board deferring to the NC Department of Health and Human Services on health related matters instead of listening to a vocal minority of parents with no healthcare credentials who “did their own research.” How dare they.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
Go figure. The Wake School Board deferring to the NC Department of Health and Human Services on health related matters instead of listening to a vocal minority of parents with no healthcare credentials who “did their own research.” How dare they.
Not sure who that's directed to, but nobody said they shouldn't. A previous poster claimed it's all in the hands of the local county, which is true, but the local county is following the guidance of the state. At the end of the day when it comes to Wake County, it's the state making the decision when to unmask in schools.

That being said, I'd honestly question anyone that has faith in any of the "experts" in our government after the inconsistencies of the past two years. The NCDHHS needs to revisit their toolkit based on what we now know about masks, testing, recent variants, and how the disease has progressed to less severe disease (as viruses do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary