Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 05:48 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,618,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
And I think I speak for almost everyone when I say that's great that what you've done - chosen or not - is what works for you and makes you feel comfortable. It gives you a sense of normalcy. Perhaps you've been an indoor mask-wearer since before Covid, maybe not. But this is a "normal" with which you're personally comfortable.

Some of the rest of us would like to have the same choice - to do what we're comfortable with and works for us in the context of not being a known and active spreader. And trying to claw back on anywhere from 20-40% of our children's lives that have been negatively impacted exponentially worse than the virus would impact them statistically.
So fine, don't wear one. I'm not trying to force you to wear one. I was responding to the guy who said I must stop wearing one.

I have no idea why you would think I've been an indoor mask wearer since before covid. I've said absolutely nothing to indicate that - this is so stupid. Go into Chapel Hill Wegmans and 99% of people are wearing masks - are we all irrational and fear based?

I told you on here I took a cross country trip this year and I've been to Florida twice since the pandemic. I was actually heavily criticized in real life for going in October 2020 pre-vax. I spent several days in South Dakota and to be honest did not mask as much as I do here, mainly because I was almost never around children inside (did no grocery shopping).

This criticism of people who DO mask in stores needs to stop. If you all are so secure in your anti-masking you really shouldn't care what the rest of us do. I hate masks but as I have now said numerous times, it doesn't bother me at all to wear one for 30 min in a grocery store until little kids can be vaccinated.

AGAIN, YOU DO YOU AS I HAVE SAID ALREADY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I hear some experts say red wine reduces the risk of covid. I choose to believe. Highly recommend it.
Happy to join that study

Old 02-11-2022, 05:52 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,073,577 times
Quote:
=NM posts;62876620]So fine, don't wear one. I'm not trying to force you to wear one. I was responding to the guy who said I must stop wearing one.

I have no idea why you would think I've been an indoor mask wearer since before covid. I've said absolutely nothing to indicate that - this is so stupid. Go into Chapel Hill Wegmans and 99% of people are wearing masks - are we all irrational and fear based?

I told you on here I took a cross country trip this year and I've been to Florida twice since the pandemic. I was actually heavily criticized in real life for going in October 2020 pre-vax. I spent several days in South Dakota and to be honest did not mask as much as I do here, mainly because I was almost never around children inside (did no grocery shopping).

This criticism of people who DO mask in stores needs to stop. If you all are so secure in your anti-masking you really shouldn't care what the rest of us do. I hate masks but as I have now said numerous times, it doesn't bother me at all to wear one for 30 min in a grocery store until little kids can be vaccinated.

If you’re waiting for vaccination % of kids to be the metric, I think you could be waiting a while.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
If you’re waiting for vaccination % of kids to be the metric, I think you could be waiting a while.
AGAIN. You guys really need to learn to read better.

I hope you don't work in clinical research.

I did not say I was waiting for a percentage of kids to be vaccinated.

I said I was waiting until little kids CAN be vaccinated.

Those are two different parameters.

It is unfortunate for the little kids if their parents don't get them vaccinated once they are eligible.

Also, I would add, stores require them where I live.

I've had enough of being attacked for wearing a ^&*$%$^%&(p mask where they are required and where everybody is wearing them. I cannot stand you people and i mean that personally. I guess I'll stop responding so I don't get infracted, but basically, **** off and go infect each other, then move to Mars

Old 02-11-2022, 06:39 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,292,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I've had enough of being attacked for wearing a ^&*$%$^%&(p mask where they are required and where everybody is wearing them. I cannot stand you people and i mean that personally. I guess I'll stop responding so I don't get infracted, but basically, **** off and go infect each other, then move to Mars
This conversation started with a point that the media and government are sending the wrong signal, which has no doubt caused mental health issues in *some* people over the course of the past couple years. The past couple years have been enough to break anyone down, especially children. The point of that original post was, maybe people can be helped if the messaging is a little different.

You came in and said you will continue to wear a mask, and gave the reasons why. People challenged those reasons, and it followed with a lengthy discussion. I went back and I see no posts of anyone attacking you, just people questioning your reasoning.

Last edited by m378; 02-11-2022 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-11-2022, 07:00 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,251,200 times
Quote:
So fine, don't wear one. I'm not trying to force you to wear one. I was responding to the guy who said I must stop wearing one.
I was taken aback at this post, and really the subsequent one, and so I had to go back and see how we got here. Your post that I quoted was not directly responding (quoting, or part of being addressed in any way when you made it) to anyone. I can see you were responding to some positions that m378 has.

Quote:
I didn't say this either. I said "perhaps" and "maybe not". Certainly some people of Asian culture have been winter mask wearers around here for years. I never said anyone that did wear a mask indoors was irrational nor fear-based. Heck, I dutifully put it on when I go shopping, and maintain my social distance.

Quote:
I'm sorry that your circle of friends criticized you, but I don't see anyone here doing so for taking trips.

Quote:

I haven't criticized anyone who wore a mask in stores. And again per above, I wear the mask as required where required. I even stated that I was glad that you had the choice - I really don't (and I agree shouldn't) care what the mask-wearers do - that's their choice.

I want my choice based upon the information available regarding the risks. That's all.

Last edited by BoBromhal; 02-11-2022 at 07:30 AM..

Old 02-11-2022, 07:14 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,251,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I very bad for those that have conditions that put them at risk, and am very thankful that it's not something I have to deal with. However, I don't think the entire world should mask forever to protect those few. It was never that way before, and it shouldn't be now.
I think this is the crux of the debate. Some believe in making allowances for those of us who are disadvantaged in some way. Things like braille on signs, curb ramps at intersections, low cost school meals, etc.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:29 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,251,200 times
by the way, I should have had NC-specific pediatric figures yesterday.

< 18 is ~22% of NC population
< 18 is 18% of total cases
< 18 is ~2% of hospitalizations (per NCDHHS dashboard)

taking a 7-day average of pediatric cases and dividing into the # of pediatric admissions last posted is a rate of 0.8% of admissions.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:46 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,550,252 times
Quote:

How much of the Wegmans mask compliance is due to active enforcement of the Orange County Mask mandate? We went to Al's Burger shack last weekend and they were adamant we wear a mask while standing in line to order, meanwhile everyone sitting at the table 10 ft away was maskless.

Old 02-11-2022, 08:04 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I think this is the crux of the debate. Some believe in making allowances for those of us who are disadvantaged in some way. Things like braille on signs, curb ramps at intersections, low cost school meals, etc.
So now we are making the leap that masks should become part of the Americans with Disabilities Act?

The vaccination rate of kids under 18 is not high enough to think that under 5 is going to make any appreciable difference. This all comes down to personal preference of parents as well. I am fully PRO VAX but there's no way I'd be giving my baby the Covid vax along with the MANY others that they need for diseases that pose a far greater risk... Everyone else having to mask because there's a MINISCULE chance that the kids of parents who WILL vax them (which I am guessing is also pretty small) is just plain performative at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary