Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2022, 03:47 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
LOL, I forgot to add, I also have a a very old dog that loves to fart. I can't smell those either!
I can smell them, but can’t hear them anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 06:30 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I am hoping to avoid the loss of smell/taste thing myself.

My buddy got Delta last August and still can't smell/taste 10 months later.
I lost my smell/taste in June 2016 from a Z-pack. It took 8 months for me to be able to smell anything. I remember when I noticed I could smell something. I was at the vet's office and I could smell dog breath. It's almost been 6 years to the day and there are certain things I still can't smell and things that I cannot taste, or things that don't have the same taste they used too. The first thing I could taste was celery. It's the weirdest thing.

I had covid at the beginning of May, I was hoping it would have the reverse effect on me and give all of it back but no such luck.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:41 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
Quote:
For sure, Omicron has gone cray cray with all its subvariants. Curious which one I got. But I'm not going to get a PCR test to try and confirm. I have it, so no need to go any further.

What was your illness like if you don't mind me asking? My Scientist buddy (I have mentioned him multiple times here in this conversation over the last two years) got it around the same time you did.

He said he had a tickle in his nose/throat, mild cold symptoms. Tested positive for 7 days. Then was "wiped out" for the week after testing negative.

Similar to your experience?
Similar. Started with a scratchy throat, then day 2 was a sore throat, headache, and fever. I tested positive May 24th, days 3 and 4 were the worst, but I was pretty much back to normal after ~10 days. I still have a mild cough and fatigue, and 2 family members who caught it after me are still dealing with nasal congestion.

I'm pretty sure we got one of the B2 variants (but which one is anyone's guess)!

Old 06-10-2022, 06:33 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Similar. Started with a scratchy throat, then day 2 was a sore throat, headache, and fever. I tested positive May 24th, days 3 and 4 were the worst, but I was pretty much back to normal after ~10 days. I still have a mild cough and fatigue, and 2 family members who caught it after me are still dealing with nasal congestion.

I'm pretty sure we got one of the B2 variants (but which one is anyone's guess)!
Thanks for sharing! I am actually feeling almost normal this morning. Runny nose has dried up immensely - which was my worst symptom (I'm on day 4)

Having said my wife just tested positive this morning. I guess we'll just let the Omicron do its thang in the GVoR house.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:29 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,991 times
Quote:
LOL, I forgot to add, I also have a a very old dog that loves to fart. I can't smell those either!
Every time my dog farts (loudly), she quickly turns around and looks at her bottom like she has no clue what happened. If we are in the car, we know to immediately roll the windows down.

Old 06-11-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
My wife and and I had yet to get covid until about 2.5 weeks ago. Kids both tested negative and never got it as far as I know, but my wife and I got it. We wore masks around the house for the 3-4 days we experienced symptoms. My son, wife, and I have all been vaxxed x3, while my 5 y/o daughter has only had 2 so far. I tested negative the morning after I first noticed something wasn't right. The next morning I was feeling even worse and tested positive. My wife tested negative both times (decided not to waste more tests), but she knew she had it since we both felt the same. We're pretty sure we got it from the same person we hung out with a few days before who came down with covid the day before us.

She had more body aches and cough. I had a bad head cold for 2-3 days which knocked me on my butt. She lost her sense of smell and taste a few days into it, as did I. She regained her senses within 48 hours and here I am today almost 2 weeks symptom-free and I can still can not really smell or taste anything. I think I've regained about 5-10% of my senses, but that's about it so far. I'm hoping that comes back soon.

Other than that, we're pretty much over any fatigue or anything else. Although, we work out with a trainer several times a week and the last three workouts since we started back from Covid have been really tough. It's taking me longer in-between weight sets, cardio, etc. to catch my breath. Hopefully, that will subside very soon as well.
So Wife popped positive yesterday as did my daughter. My son is a stubborn sumbitch and won't test, but pretty sure he has it too.

I lost my sense of taste and smell today but largely has remained just a nose thing for me. Wife has back aches and a cough. Daughter had a fever and has puked. Son seems like he feels like crap, but Roblux solves all

Tomorrow is my day 6.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:03 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
To be sure. Admittedly I wore the ducking it for the last two plus years as a sort of badge of honor. In our social circle, only two families hadn't had a positive test.
Eh...It's a funny thing. My wife sat in a car with a girl that was coughing "It's just bronchitis I think" for 3 hours. It was COVID yet my wife didn't get sick. This spring, she was outside, not in close proximity with someone that coughed and later popped positive, she got it too. Cold-like symptoms for 2-3 days. She was extremely careful for a long time...and tested a LOT. Almost every week for her job. Never tested positive. Me? I was pretty cavalier about it. I wore a mask if it was expected. I did get vaxxed, and think the only reason that I didn't get it when she had it was that she got it about 4 weeks after my booster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
One weird side effect. We went to give blood last month. Her hgb has been too low to donate for the past year. This time, it was high enough and she donated. But a week later we got a notice from the blood center that her actual blood iron level is so low she's deferred for a year. And when I went to donate my hgb was too low which hasn't happened to me in a long, long time - probably since my twenties. Which makes me wonder if the COVID fatigue is related to low iron levels that the virus somehow causes.
They're saying more and more that it's a vascular disease spread by respiratory droplets. The low-iron would line up with that.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Eh...It's a funny thing. My wife sat in a car with a girl that was coughing "It's just bronchitis I think" for 3 hours. It was COVID yet my wife didn't get sick. This spring, she was outside, not in close proximity with someone that coughed and later popped positive, she got it too. Cold-like symptoms for 2-3 days. She was extremely careful for a long time...and tested a LOT. Almost every week for her job. Never tested positive. Me? I was pretty cavalier about it. I wore a mask if it was expected. I did get vaxxed, and think the only reason that I didn't get it when she had it was that she got it about 4 weeks after my booster.

That it is. I was in a car with a guy in CA for an hour who had it. Didn't get it. Hung out with a friend at a house party (outside) and got it.

My dad had double Pulmonary Embolisms back at Easter. ER doc told him he was less than 12 hours from dying giving the impact to his heart and kidneys from a lack of Oxygen (he was at 14% lung function when he got to the ER).

Had a physical with his PCP last week (told his PCP I got COVID as his PCP is a virologist by education and is on the MA State COVID Counsel (Not sure what the exact name of it is))....his doc had some super interesting things to say about what "what that group has found out about COVID".

Old 08-10-2022, 10:22 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
For Whom the Bell Tolls....The Rona finally found GVoR
I meant to update as well...it's like we're Covid kin.

Went to what was discovered to be a superspreader event on June 4, reports started flooding in June 7. Wife was convinced she had it, I had to go find tests (took me 4 stores). She was negative. Next day, I started feeling "fevery" - hot and exhausted, but I was outside in the heat, so didn't think that much about it. Woke up the next day with a weird bad cough. Hot pink test line in 5 minutes. Sequestered in the basement, took a 4 hour nap that afternoon, felt 90% better. Went to WakeMed site Monday, tested positive again/still. But since I never had a fever, my quarantine was 1 more day and then a mask indoors in public for rest of week. The cough lingered about a week. Wife, despite being convinced she had it, never tested positive until 6/15.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:29 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
I am hoping to avoid the loss of smell/taste thing myself.

My buddy got Delta last August and still can't smell/taste 10 months later.
I haven't heard of anybody with Omicron having loss of taste/smell, and "lingering effects" I can count on 1 hand.

I should have said, when I say "superspreader event", this was an indoor band party with 600-700 people. 1/2 the crowd under 25 and I never heard of any of them getting sick after the event. It was all the parents & grandparents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary