Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2022, 07:06 AM

342 posts, read 321,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
1st dose moderna: sore left arm
2nd dose moderna: nothing
Booster 1 moderna: nothing
Booster 2 moderna: nothing
Booster 3 moderna bivalent yesterday: both arms sore, stiff neck, headache, body aches and pains, tiredness. My wife similar symptoms with bivalent plus chills overnight with feeling nauseous. Feeling a little better now.
1st dose moderna...VERY sore arm for a few days
2nd dose Moderna...covid arm
(https://www.health.com/condition/inf...m-rash-moderna)

3rd dose hasn't happened yet, leery about getting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 10:38 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,311,958 times
Crazy that hospitals are filling up with flu and RSV cases, two viruses that put children at much higher risk than Covid. It's almost like it was always like this.

Hopefully we learned a valuable lesson. Does anyone feel like there needs to be some sort of Covid post-mortem for the public, to show what was learned and how we can improve in the future?

Old 11-14-2022, 11:01 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Crazy that hospitals are filling up with flu and RSV cases, two viruses that put children at much higher risk than Covid. It's almost like it was always like this.

Hopefully we learned a valuable lesson. Does anyone feel like there needs to be some sort of Covid post-mortem for the public, to show what was learned and how we can improve in the future?
My niece was in the hospital for RSV and pneumonia two weeks back. Had never heard of RSV. Her O2 levels were sub 90. They got her back to good levels and released her only to have my nephew go in for RSV, Pneumonia, double ear infection and a nice case of HFM.

We somehow ducked all of that with our kids.

I don't think we collectively learned all that much. People, on average, viewed it more of an annoyance than something that killed more people in two years (1.1M) than almost every war combined in our 246 year history (1.3M).

Maybe we'll get a new holiday out of it? Memorial Day in May. COVID Membahrance in February?

Old 11-14-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
My niece was in the hospital for RSV and pneumonia two weeks back. Had never heard of RSV. Her O2 levels were sub 90. They got her back to good levels and released her only to have my nephew go in for RSV, Pneumonia, double ear infection and a nice case of HFM.

I don't think we collectively learned all that much. People, on average, viewed it more of an annoyance than something that killed more people in two years (1.1M) than almost every war combined in our 246 year history (1.3M).

Maybe we'll get a new holiday out of it? Memorial Day in May. COVID Membahrance in February?
I was thinking more on the lines of a post-mortem from the government documenting what was done right, what was done wrong, and how we can improve in the next pandemic.

For example, closing schools in hindsight was a terrible decision for this particular virus.

Old 11-14-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I was thinking more on the lines of a post-mortem from the government documenting what was done right, what was done wrong, and how we can improve in the next pandemic.

For example, closing schools in hindsight was a terrible decision for this particular virus.
I think it is probably fair to say....a society doesn't really have many tools for Pandemics.

Ignoring Yellow Fever and Typhoid outbreaks in the 19th century (when state of the art medical care on the battlefield was to lop of limbs with saws without anesthesia and then reuse said saw on the next guy) the two big ones in our history don't show much "societal/civic growth" from the mistakes.

Yes, the Influenza of 1918 changed medical science bigly, just as the medical science will adjust from COVID.

But we live in a country where:

1. We are immensely divided, moreso than at any point since the 1850s. With that division comes blinders and ear muffs.

2. We don't value "expertise". Everyone can do their "own research" now and who cares if "that person over there" spent their life's work getting edumacated and working in a medical profession? F****** elitists with their fancy words and books.

3. No generation alive; not the Boomers, not the Jan generation, not the Millenials and their instant gratification, not the Zoomers and their social media addiction have the intestinal fortitude for self sacrifice that the Silent Generation did. We were locked down a few months (and realistically you could still get out of your house) and there are people who think it was their landing on Omaha beach. Charmin Soft.

4. The tools that are most effective at battling a Pandemic are early warning alarms; eyes and ears on the ground in places where this stuff breaks out. Once its in among your population, in a society such as ours (freedom of movement etc) its way too late.

I just don't see a ton of "yes this was a mistake, we will try this other thing next time" coming out of this. Perhaps we invest more in a global disease/virus surveillance system in hopes that is "enough" to keep us safe. But short of that, I don't have much hope. We just aren't a society as presently constructed with either much shame or a speck of self introspection.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I think it is probably fair to say....a society doesn't really have many tools for Pandemics.

Ignoring Yellow Fever and Typhoid outbreaks in the 19th century (when state of the art medical care on the battlefield was to lop of limbs with saws without anesthesia and then reuse said saw on the next guy) the two big ones in our history don't show much "societal/civic growth" from the mistakes.

Yes, the Influenza of 1918 changed medical science bigly, just as the medical science will adjust from COVID.

But we live in a country where:

1. We are immensely divided, moreso than at any point since the 1850s. With that division comes blinders and ear muffs.

2. We don't value "expertise". Everyone can do their "own research" now and who cares if "that person over there" spent their life's work getting edumacated and working in a medical profession? F****** elitists with their fancy words and books.

3. No generation alive; not the Boomers, not the Jan generation, not the Millenials and their instant gratification, not the Zoomers and their social media addiction have the intestinal fortitude for self sacrifice that the Silent Generation did. We were locked down a few months (and realistically you could still get out of your house) and there are people who think it was their landing on Omaha beach. Charmin Soft.

4. The tools that are most effective at battling a Pandemic are early warning alarms; eyes and ears on the ground in places where this stuff breaks out. Once its in among your population, in a society such as ours (freedom of movement etc) its way too late.

I just don't see a ton of "yes this was a mistake, we will try this other thing next time" coming out of this. Perhaps we invest more in a global disease/virus surveillance system in hopes that is "enough" to keep us safe. But short of that, I don't have much hope. We just aren't a society as presently constructed with either much shame or a speck of self introspection.

I don't think I agree. As a parent of a child that had to go through the nonsense of remote school, I want to know what the government/CDC is going to do in future pandemics to make sure that schools are only closed when absolutely necessary. Just like in the "real world", when you have an incident at work, you have a post-mortem to discuss what went wrong, what went right, and how to do better in the future.

Same goes for hospital "overcrowding". As we're seeing this year (and knew all along), hospitals always run at a "close to full" capacity. The main reason for the wide lockdowns during Covid was to prevent hospitals from being overrun. Did we really see hospitals more crowded than a typical winter? I don't know, but I'd like to know. If not, maybe in future pandemics we should be a little more smart about the "reward" of lockdowns versus the risk of overcrowded hospitals.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I don't think I agree. As a parent of a child that had to go through the nonsense of remote school, I want to know what the government/CDC is going to do in future pandemics to make sure that schools are only closed when absolutely necessary. Just like in the "real world", when you have an incident at work, you have a post-mortem to discuss what went wrong, what went right, and how to do better in the future.

Same goes for hospital "overcrowding". As we're seeing this year (and knew all along), hospitals always run at a "close to full" capacity. The main reason for the wide lockdowns during Covid was to prevent hospitals from being overrun. Did we really see hospitals more crowded than a typical winter? I don't know, but I'd like to know. If not, maybe in future pandemics we should be a little more smart about the "reward" of lockdowns versus the risk of overcrowded hospitals.
Well the House might end up with a 2-4 seat majority for the GOP so they can drag Dr. Fauci down there and rap his hands for what he did.

My daughter can’t wait for virtual school to happen again. I told her wait for middle age to be a curmudgeon like me.

Inshallah this was the “once in a lifetime” pandemic for our “generations of Americans” cuz we’re a bunch of T**ts. (Meaning the generations running stuff now)

Hopefully the kids get their ish together when they start running the damn thing

Old 11-14-2022, 05:29 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,946,661 times
Quote:

RSV is a common cold for most people and healthy kids. I have twins (not preemies) but all my friends with preemies lived in fear of RSV before age 2. I seem to recall a vax for it so I"m not sure what all the talk is about a rush to make a vaccine.

No question the masking affected immune systems.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:46 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,374,054 times
  1. First shot left me feeling tired and under the weather for one day
  2. Second shot left my arm feeling sore
  3. First booster left my arm feeling sore
  4. Second booster also left my arm sore for a day
  5. Third booster left my shoulder a bit sore for a day or so
My Covid experience wasn't as difficult as some of yours

Old 11-20-2022, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 6,383 times
Do many currently wear a mask in the Triange? More in one area than another? How do people react when seeing one wear a mask? Considering a move to the area and my family needs to wear masks, and it would help to understand the perceptions of masking. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary