Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 10:03 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

So, Raleigh is all set to put an $80MM bond referendum on the November ballot. Some links:

https://raleighmag.com/2020/09/break...-housing-bond/

https://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/...ndbysource.pdf

Average property tax increase: $25/year
Expected # of "new units": 3,261 (though actually 106 are major rehab and 225 minor rehab of existing homes)
Cost/unit: $25K.

A few items with which I have concern:

*a 50 bed homeless facility at a cost of $200K/bed
*$100K/home for "major rehab" for 106 owners
*$10.6MM in homebuying downpayment assistance for 323 buyers = $30k/buyer. I don't know how much of this would be hard cash vs program costs.

These 3 just seem to be outsized costs for those benefitting.

I also wonder what our affordable housing need is deemed to be we're basically talking ~2,600 new units.

I'm in favor of a bond to either be "government housing" or used to "leverage public/private partnerships", and in favor of a right-sized bond that comes as close as possible to meet the need.

I just don't know if this does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 06:24 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
It will get passed because current officials cant do math and will throw money at everything that sounds "good". It could cost a trillion and it will get voted in. Get ready folks, we are slowly tuning into NY, NJ, and CA. Its too much money for such a little benefit. Cities dont know how to get work done for a reasonable cost and these projects balloon up in price. Its why they pay $1 million for bridge art, $10+ million for sandy forks including $70k+ for that stupid bong, and $8 million for bikes lanes that are rarely ever used. You want high taxes? Keep voting these people in.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:53 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
*a 50 bed homeless facility at a cost of $200K/bed
You're not reading those numbers right. The chart says 50 units of supportive housing. A unit doesn't directly equate to 1 bed. A subsidized unit can support multiple individuals or families. The number of individuals supported by the cost is far higher than you're making it appear here.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:21 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Well, it was bound to start here eventually.

It's easier from a government perspective to buy feel good votes vs create an economic base which creates jobs so people can lift themselves up.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:29 AM

773 posts, read 646,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's easier from a government perspective to buy feel good votes vs create an economic base which creates jobs so people can lift themselves up.
Umm, the Raleigh area is one of the leading job creating areas in the country. You're not analyzing the issue properly. Lack of jobs isn't the issue. Job creation has been so robust its caused the price of housing to increase to a level where many people can't afford it.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:58 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
It will get passed because current officials cant do math and will throw money at everything that sounds "good". It could cost a trillion and it will get voted in. Get ready folks, we are slowly tuning into NY, NJ, and CA. Its too much money for such a little benefit. Cities dont know how to get work done for a reasonable cost and these projects balloon up in price. Its why they pay $1 million for bridge art, $10+ million for sandy forks including $70k+ for that stupid bong, and $8 million for bikes lanes that are rarely ever used. You want high taxes? Keep voting these people in.
First of all, you don't build bike lanes and have them fill up right away, that will take time. The issue there is that where they exist they're great, but once they terminate and you're not at your destination, they lose their appeal. Electric bikes and electric scooters will continue to make those grow in use.

Second, do you know any place in the country where taxes don't consistently increase? I keep hearing about how the Triangle is turning into NY/NJ/CT, but in 12.5 years living in my previous house, my taxes increased by a whopping $800 per year (about $70 per month), in small increments. Previously my taxes had increased by over $400 PER MONTH over a five year period while living in NY. There's no meaningful comparison to be found there.

Third and final point, you can't run funded municipal projects like a homeowner negotiating with a contractor for a home improvement project. That results in rounded up, generally over funded projects often exploited by commercial contractors who are adept at squeezing every available dollar out of the municipalities wallet. It can be frustrating, but if you see a better way to manage this, run for office and make that central to your platform; I'll vote for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well, it was bound to start here eventually.

If you're in healthcare or technology, we're living in the land of opportunity. But if you're an hourly worker in a different trade, this is becoming an increasingly difficult place to afford. All of us folks living large off of our RTP salaries still need our lawns mowed, walls painted, cars maintained, etc. It's the responsibility of our elected officials to seek a balance so that all socioeconomic tiers can get access to affordable homes. Assuming that by making life easier for IBM, Cisco et al it will generate enough personal wealth so that affordable housing is unnecessary excludes the woman who cleans my house twice a month, or the counter person working at my favorite pizza place.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:00 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
LOL this is still a good idea with the collapsed covid budgets

Old 09-10-2020, 07:17 AM

773 posts, read 646,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Please share your detailed knowledge of the City of Raleigh's budget, the impact of covid on the current fiscal year, and the impact for the next 3 to 10 years.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
If you're in healthcare or technology, we're living in the land of opportunity. But if you're an hourly worker in a different trade, this is becoming an increasingly difficult place to afford. All of us folks living large off of our RTP salaries still need our lawns mowed, walls painted, cars maintained, etc. It's the responsibility of our elected officials to seek a balance so that all socioeconomic tiers can get access to affordable homes. Assuming that by making life easier for IBM, Cisco et al it will generate enough personal wealth so that affordable housing is unnecessary excludes the woman who cleans my house twice a month, or the counter person working at my favorite pizza place.
That sounds very aspirational!

What is stopping you from paying the person who mows your lawn more? This is what I don't get about this sort of mentality. It's about forcing others to pay.

My wife works for one of the companies you listed...her net after tax is around $3,400. We mow our own lawn, and make our own pizza (including dough). The guy installing our HVAC makes more than her.

Please let me know when we can start living large. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
No it's fine. We'll just slash our police budget. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary