Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 10:22 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnkfl4CountryLife View Post
The poster may have been going by countless studies, where they found 38% of homeless are substance abusers and 33% have mental illness issues.

What issues the homeless face

Now add in the additional people who have lost everything from the economic restrictions and I can see why there seems to be so many on the streets.
Most of the panhandling I encounter has been around since before the pandemic event began, this is not a COVID-19 problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 10:40 AM

826 posts, read 244,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Most of the panhandling I encounter has been around since before the pandemic event began, this is not a COVID-19 problem.
I know it has existed, but a Columbia University study found COVID-19 could make it much worse and that seems to be playing out.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:50 AM

773 posts, read 646,940 times
Quote:
I know it has existed, but a Columbia University study found COVID-19 could make it much worse and that seems to be playing out.
Another study found that an overwhelming majority of the economic problems related to the pandemic were caused by people's personal decisions to stay home, avoid crowds, etc., not by government mandated shutdowns.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:54 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I am sadly VERY aware of this. My brother has been part of the 33%. Hence, my offense to a comment about what a mentally I'll person "looks like."

And there were plenty of other things that I disagreed and disliked in the OP, but others here were addressing those issues very well.
To be fair, when discussing homelessness, there is more than one subtype. There are those that are struggling through rough patches and temporarily living in a car, motel, couch, etc, and those that are what one would traditionally picture, a "street person" or something of the sort, someone that cannot keep it together well enough to maintain their own domicile. The long term homeless person has a lot more visual cues as a result of living out of doors for extended time periods. And that long term homeless person is a lot more likely to deal with mental illness.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Did they really need to make a "study" about this?

People stop spending money and unemployment ensues.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:36 PM

826 posts, read 244,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Did they really need to make a "study" about this?

People stop spending money and unemployment ensues.
No, of course not. It's common sense, but common sense does not pay the salaries of people who would otherwise have nothing to do.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:21 PM

1,462 posts, read 660,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Nice dig at Governor Cooper, his handling of the pandemic is clearly the reason why panhandling became a problem years ago.

Dan, is that really you?
Ha, ha. I love me an NYC sense of humor.

You are probably right. It is Dan. My first thought was he was referring to Lord Voldemort: He- Who -Must -Not -Be Named.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:34 PM

1,462 posts, read 660,881 times
Homelessness is a hugely complex problem and finger pointing and the blame game contribute nothing to it's solution. There is too much political division now, obstruction, deadlock and it can't continue if there will ever be help for a population that desperately needs help and very much deserves the assistance. I always give because I figure it could happen to anyone of us. Some are homeless because of losing their homes due to catastrophic medical bankruptcy. When historians looks back they will be appalled at our treatment of the homeless, substance abusers and the mentally ill.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:18 PM

781 posts, read 744,613 times
Having lived in CA, I find it to be very minimal in the Raleigh area. I do tend to see it more in North Raleigh.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:25 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Homelessness is a hugely complex problem and finger pointing and the blame game contribute nothing to it's solution. There is too much political division now, obstruction, deadlock and it can't continue if there will ever be help for a population that desperately needs help and very much deserves the assistance. I always give because I figure it could happen to anyone of us. Some are homeless because of losing their homes due to catastrophic medical bankruptcy. When historians looks back they will be appalled at our treatment of the homeless, substance abusers and the mentally ill.
C-D is doing something strange. I tried to "rep" Shallow Hal and was not able to do so. "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Shallow Hal again."

I never heard of Shallow Hal before reading this thread. I certainly didn't Rep him before. Puzzling.

Anyway, Shallow Hal, yours was a well-reasoned and well-written post. Thank you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary