Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 12:45 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That's one of those places that have a lot of what I refer to as "voluntary homeless." You see it in Asheville, New Orleans, too...Most panhandlers look like folks that have fallen on hard times as opposed to people that have intentionally aspired to be less.

I would tend agree.

However, they are far more numerous there than what I have experienced here in the Triangle. I ran into a couple panhandlers outside the Raleigh Times one night downtown and see the "always" there ones at the 540/Capital Intersection, 540 and Falls of Neuse near Lafayette Village and then 540/64 in Knightdale by the Best Buy and Target.

Hmmmm maybe 540 is the issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 12:56 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
Go to Detroit.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:45 PM

1,462 posts, read 660,881 times
Regarding my previous post, of course not all people who are homeless are substance abusers. Did not want to appear to paint with too broad a brush. But I did want to offer some thoughts regarding addiction and homelessness.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:33 PM

425 posts, read 419,518 times
The explosion of begging began several years ago when the Supreme Court ruled that begging is a form of free speech. So far though, the appeals courts have been unwilling to support the premise that regulating people out of the medians for non-speech reasons, fits within a strict scrutiny test. We'll need a split ruling in the appeals courts, and a city or state willing to take their case to the Supreme Court again, to get some clarity on what kind of ordinance is constitutional to keep people off the medians. I have read that some localities have tried countermeasures like filling medians with rocks or "crash barrels" to discourage panhandlers.

It's prevalent everywhere nowadays. In Charlotte I make a mental note of where they're likely to be, and avoid turning left at those intersections - or drive through the intersection and then U-turn somewhere further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary