Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 10:26 AM

89 posts, read 104,873 times

Advertisements

When I moved in to my house 20+ years ago, we had an Apex address/zip code, but were unincorporated. Physically, we are much closer to Holly Springs town limits than Apex. We were annexed by Cary around the time that they were building the Middle Creek school/park complex. We are now one of the southernmost parts of Cary now. There are parts of Cary that it would take me 30+ minutes to drive to..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 10:37 AM

4,282 posts, read 4,738,598 times
If you look at a map of Zip code boundaries, they seldom align with boundaries between counties or between cities -- at least not in the rapidly growing Triangle.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:19 PM

22,714 posts, read 36,914,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Your house could be in Apex but have a Holly Springs address. That means your mail comes/goes by way of the Holly Springs post office.

For example, if you had moved to The Park at West Lake while it was being built, it started out with a Cary address and was switched to an Apex address, while being built. Quite the confusion!

If you are driving down Sunset Lake Road, you'll notice a town of Apex sign and then (while on the same road), a town of Holly Springs sign!

If you are doing your own searching, I'd suggest you consider Cary/Apex/Holly Springs as one area. Especially, Apex and Holly Springs. Better to have too many choices than to miss desirable neighborhoods by not understanding the "borders".

Wellsley and West Park were Apex when they were built. I know someone who moved to West Park in HS, has her old license from those days - has Apex as the city and she went to Apex HS (only HS around here back then). Now that's Cary.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:51 PM

6,402 posts, read 5,531,649 times
The mailing address confusion that our sprawling zipcodes in the Triangle create is a force to be reckoned with.

You can live in 27603 with a "Raleigh" address and walk to all the bars and restaurants downtown/Glenwood South OR be out past Garner, past Fuquay, into Johnston County.

27517 in "Chapel Hill" gets you from the intersection of 15-501 & 40 (Exit 270) on the Durham/Orange county line all the way down about 2/3 "deep" into Chatham County where highway 64 crosses Jordan Lake.

As a teen in "in-town" Apex; we used to refer to all of 27539 which stretches from just east/southeast of US-1 to Willow Spring(s) as "Fapex"

Old 09-17-2020, 01:23 PM

4,282 posts, read 4,738,598 times
There was a time when just all of north Raleigh was 27604, 09 or 12. Eventually some of the territory was split away into 27613, 14, 15, 16 and 17. My house went from 12 to 13. The same could still happen to 27603, 06, and 10 as those areas continue to be built out.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,290,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wellsley and West Park were Apex when they were built. I know someone who moved to West Park in HS, has her old license from those days - has Apex as the city and she went to Apex HS (only HS around here back then). Now that's Cary.
There is a neighborhood called The Park at West Lake, which is different than West Lake.

I KNOW when The Park at West Lake was being built, it had a Cary address. It was later changed to an Apex address.

I know this because I sold about 4 homes in there in 2001 to 2003. There was an issue with garbage pickup, as well, and the developer ended up paying for my clients' private garbage pickup until the issue was resolved. Neither Cary nor Apex would pick up the trash, at that time.

If you'd like proof, you can look up MLS 575831, which shows the listing for the new home at The Park at West Lake and shows a Cary address. Or MLS 726883.

MLS 731195 shows The Park at West Lake now has an Apex address.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,290,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The mailing address confusion that our sprawling zipcodes in the Triangle create is a force to be reckoned with.

You can live in 27603 with a "Raleigh" address and walk to all the bars and restaurants downtown/Glenwood South OR be out past Garner, past Fuquay, into Johnston County.

27517 in "Chapel Hill" gets you from the intersection of 15-501 & 40 (Exit 270) on the Durham/Orange county line all the way down about 2/3 "deep" into Chatham County where highway 64 crosses Jordan Lake.

As a teen in "in-town" Apex; we used to refer to all of 27539 which stretches from just east/southeast of US-1 to Willow Spring(s) as "Fapex"
My parents lived in Johnston County for many years. They had a Garner address.

Its crazy!

Part of Heritage has a Wake Forest address and part of it has a Rolesville address. I had clients who were bothered by the Rolesville address because in case of fire, they worried about the Rolesville Fire Dept, as it was volunteer. We ended up calling the Town of Rolesville to get correct information so their mind was at ease.

Falls of the Neuse turns into Old Wake Forest Road.

Go figure!!!

Old 09-17-2020, 02:42 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,188,044 times
The main confusion for people moving in is with schools, since they are determined by county not city. And definitely not by postal code.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:42 PM

22,714 posts, read 36,914,828 times
Quote:
There is a neighborhood called The Park at West Lake, which is different than West Lake.

I KNOW when The Park at West Lake was being built, it had a Cary address. It was later changed to an Apex address.

I know this because I sold about 4 homes in there in 2001 to 2003. There was an issue with garbage pickup, as well, and the developer ended up paying for my clients' private garbage pickup until the issue was resolved. Neither Cary nor Apex would pick up the trash, at that time.

If you'd like proof, you can look up MLS 575831, which shows the listing for the new home at The Park at West Lake and shows a Cary address. Or MLS 726883.

I wasn't arguing with you. I was merely pointing out that West Park and Wellsley - which are NO WHERE NEAR Middle Creek, West Lake, the Park at West Lake or any other subdivision in that area - is another area where the borders also changed. Sheesh. Don't you read contracts for a living?

Old 09-17-2020, 02:57 PM

5,353 posts, read 3,245,092 times
Quote:

Address is 100% a function of the post office, not the tax jurisdiction.

I'm not surprised that neither Cary or Apex would pick up the trash because I believe it's unincorporated Wake and those residents are free to contract with whoever they want (if it's not an ETJ).

This is not unique to the Triangle, it happens nationwide. Part of my job is situsing and jurisdictional assignment so one should never assume jurisdiction based on an address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary