Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 08:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't marketing RE services on this site against the rules? If so, then this conversation is treading on thin ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 04:57 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't marketing RE services on this site against the rules? If so, then this conversation is treading on thin ice.
Realtor recommendations are not allowed except by DM. Hasn’t come close to that. Someone pointed out the ones who post on the board. I’ll add real estate agents who post here have a little house next to their name to make them easier to discern. No one recommended anyone and a moderator has posted in the thread.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:37 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,216,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
The agents that I've worked with haven’t worked out so I would appreciate DMs if you can recommend someone.
Well that's a big ol' red flag if I ever saw one.

If an agent doesn't work out - ok fire him/her, use what you learned and find a suitable agent. Issues with agents (plural)...not the agent's fault.

Totally painting with a broad brush here but just because someone told you Raleigh is cheaper than whatever overtaxed place you're moving from doesn't mean you're going to waltz in and negotiate a cheaper than dirt price on the hottest price point in the area.

But good luck.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:04 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
No one who is selling in the sub-$300K market is going to work with an "aggressive negotiating" agent because there is simply no need to do so right now. They will move right along.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:58 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Well that's a big ol' red flag if I ever saw one.

If an agent doesn't work out - ok fire him/her, use what you learned and find a suitable agent. Issues with agents (plural)...not the agent's fault.

Totally painting with a broad brush here but just because someone told you Raleigh is cheaper than whatever overtaxed place you're moving from doesn't mean you're going to waltz in and negotiate a cheaper than dirt price on the hottest price point in the area.

But good luck.
When we were buying in 2007, the Realtor we used, and her colleagues, all used a certain sensibility that definitely failed to appeal to what mattered for us. I wanted someone who supported my position but also provided advice and guidance. They wanted to show me houses in my price range but once we showed interest, do everything possible to encourage us to make an offer that would help close the deal in the shortest timeframe possible. Like, oh good, you found something you liked so lets offer them what they're asking so we can close the deal quickly.

If we weren't out-of-town buyers with a small shopping window, I would have switched Realtors. While I want to work with someone who helps me avoid making avoidable mistakes, I also want someone who understands what my goals are and either supports them or helps me reconsider if they're unrealistic. When we bought our new home last year, the agent I worked with was fantastic. She listened to what we wanted, understood our financial limitations and deftly navigated the process advocating continually on our behalf. And when I was being unrealistic or emotional, she respectfully let me vent and calmly reigned me back in.

So I think it's entirely possible someone from out of town would struggle with many local Realtors. I think there are way too many Realtors who got into the business because they like the house hunting process and think they have a flair for it, when what they really like is looking at houses. That's why I prefer to look for those who have been at it for ideally at least a decade or more, because most of the hobbyists burn out within 2-3 years. And to cover my bases, most of the Realtors who frequent this forum have been around since when I first joined City Data way back in 2006, and they have an established history of providing excellent advice.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
I'll DM you.

Keep in mind, not all HOAs are created equal. I was on the fence about them because of a few things I considered non-negotiable in the way of covenants. I wound up buying in a subdivision that has an HOA but the covenants are really mild and not updated a lot. Their sole purpose seems to be arranging for the landscaping at entrances and coordinating two annual events for the community. Granted, it's a 20+ year old community and not in the price range you're looking at but you may be able to find something like that too in the 300k range.

Old 09-26-2020, 03:34 PM

8 posts, read 9,250 times
Hi everyone. And thank you to all that have replied or sent a DM. The other agents that I worked with haven't submitted offers when I requested and I lost out on two opportunities. I completely understand that they are busy, but in this market waiting hours or a day can be too late.

Old 09-26-2020, 04:11 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. And thank you to all that have replied or sent a DM. The other agents that I worked with haven't submitted offers when I requested and I lost out on two opportunities. I completely understand that they are busy, but in this market waiting hours or a day can be too late.
You are at a price point where you cannot fool around.
But, more and more, listing agents are giving a deadline for offers to be received, so they can avoid complaints of unfairness.
Of course, if someone offers cash and hits it out of the park, the deadline could get tossed and a contract struck.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
waiting 24 hours is unacceptable, unless the listing agent/seller has already placed a deadline that's > 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary